First trip to River House

Julian Calvin
5th June 2012, 17:59
Clearly remember walking down Riversdale Road the first time. Was told to report in uniform. I was a country boy with no knowledge what I was about. Couldn't understand the sniggers from guys passing.
Only later did I realise that the white cover was supposed to be fitted on the cap. Must have looked like a bus conductor.
Likewise my knife. Instructions didn't say what kind of knife was needed so I bought a beautiful one from the local fish tackle shop. Lovely bone handle it had. Felt really stupid when joined the first ship and saw what proper working knives and spikes were about.
Remember also the last interview with Capt Greenwood before above happened. had to practise saluting in the office incase I was posted to a Mail boat. Never happened though.
Did they salute on the Mail boats?
How was your first day?

R58484956
6th June 2012, 20:35
Cannot remember much, went from 122 Leadenhall St (P&O) to Tilbury and went on board Strathmore put on a boiler suit went below, no body spoke, back up top found a cabin same routine for 3 to 4 days then somebody asked me who I was and said go to KGV and report to the SS Canton. Not a very illustrious start.

Rogerfrench
7th June 2012, 11:16
I think I'm glad I was just too old for all that...

alan ward
9th June 2012, 14:39
I caught the No 1 bus along the dock road to Gladstone to join the Accra,allotted a cabin changed into uniform and went to the Pursers Bureau.Pottered about for a bit and was surprised to find that we weren`t sailing for about another 5 days.Didn`t get told I could have gone home at night or seen my girlfriend in Liverpool I just thought that was it,you`ve joined a ship and you stay on it!
That was often the way of it then,no one told you a thing just carried on with their lives and left you to sink or swim -we survived.

Split
9th June 2012, 22:08
I joined my first ship in West Hartlepool in 1948 as an apprentice. I was told by one of the officers that I had the night aboard. You can imagine what part of my anatomy was doing buttons! Later that evening, while I was in my cabin trying to take it all in and wondering whether I had made a terrible mistake, there was a knock on the door and a young guy, who identified himself as the ordinary seaman, had just come on board and noticed that some of the mooring lines were too tight. I really, hadn't got a clue, and told him so. Fortunately, he knew enough to enable us to slacken them off.

Fortunately, they were all reliefs and riggers and I didn't have to sail with any of them. The Old Man and mate had gone home for the night thinking that the ship was in safe hands with a "night aboard" officer.

This was, of course, a non-ED vessl!

Ant P
24th June 2012, 09:23
My first ship was the Dunkwa joined in Midlesborough. I had never seen a ship close up before. I thought the Luftwaffe had just left Darlington when we got off the train in 1974! Two seniors and two first trippers. The taxi seemed to be going all the way to Germany is seemed so far down the dock. No.4 Tees Dock. When we got to the ship the tide was out and the bridge wing was just about level with the quay. It was a nice day, 21st August, and the lads down aft had the local girls aboard in all there finery, satin clothes, ripped fisnets and lipstick all round their mouths. I was glad my Mum hadn't come to see us off or anything. I was a bit worried as I could have sworn that ships were supposed to be bigger than this. The Carpenter joined at the same time, and I was embarresed that I could hardly lift his tool box down the gangway. Clive Brokker was the other first tripper. I think he only did two trips before leaving the sea. I'm still here after 38 years. I liked the D boats and did another trip on Dunkwa and my first trip 3/O was on the Dala. By then, 1978, the crew was down from 46 to 26 so wasn't quite the same.

Ant P
24th June 2012, 09:25
Sorry it should be Dalla. I don't want to attract bad comments, and Clives name maybe should be Brocker!

Julian Calvin
24th June 2012, 11:11
My first trip was on the "Freetown" in '67. Dan (D) Air flight from Speke to Rotterdam. Flight couldn't get off the runway first time so had to go back and off load some luggage. Really gave one confidence.
Derek Radway was the other deck cadet who showed me the 'sights' in Rotterdam. He was really experienced as had already done two trips!!

Peter Martin
25th June 2012, 19:01
Hmmm. Reminds me of first Fly-to-Join. March 1969 Speke ~ Amsterdam to join 'Fulani' - Capt Sam Weller! Myself, Ken Browne, Mike Bowness & Bill Catterall, all 'experienced 2nd trip cadets. A memorable trip as we were diverted to the US and spent 4 months toing & froing unil we left in Dakar and came home on the Bhamo. Irish ferry from Dublin to Liverpool.
Dan Air (Davis & Newman Aviation) seemed to do all the ED's European crew changes.

Rogerfrench
26th June 2012, 05:46
My first Dan Air trip to join a ship was to Rotterdam in 1959 on a ratty old DC3, with an even rattier old stewardess who told us all where to sit so the plane would be balanced right for take-off.

waldziu
26th June 2012, 08:22
My first flight was on Dan Dare from Gib early 70s. As I was a stoker I knew nothing about aeroplanes on this one you embarked under the rear section bit like a Hercules. After I had counted a hundred empty rivet holes I stopped counting and sat by the escape door.

jlambton
21st June 2015, 00:07
My first ship was the Dunkwa joined in Midlesborough. I had never seen a ship close up before. I thought the Luftwaffe had just left Darlington when we got off the train in 1974! Two seniors and two first trippers. The taxi seemed to be going all the way to Germany is seemed so far down the dock. No.4 Tees Dock. When we got to the ship the tide was out and the bridge wing was just about level with the quay. It was a nice day, 21st August, and the lads down aft had the local girls aboard in all there finery, satin clothes, ripped fisnets and lipstick all round their mouths. I was glad my Mum hadn't come to see us off or anything. I was a bit worried as I could have sworn that ships were supposed to be bigger than this. The Carpenter joined at the same time, and I was embarresed that I could hardly lift his tool box down the gangway. Clive Brokker was the other first tripper. I think he only did two trips before leaving the sea. I'm still here after 38 years. I liked the D boats and did another trip on Dunkwa and my first trip 3/O was on the Dala. By then, 1978, the crew was down from 46 to 26 so wasn't quite the same.

I joined the Dunkwa in Boro on 17 August 1974 as junior engineer, was on her for 10 or 11 weeks and paid off in Dublin on 01 November before moving to the Fulani for 4 trips. I though that the Dunkwas seemed small too, especially after doing 5 months on the Hector

makko
22nd June 2015, 16:03
Julian,
I can sympathise - I was sent to reactivate Nestor (LNG carrier) in Loch Striven and was told to travel in uniform. Lots of "tickets please" type comments! First day at Aulis, as Eng Cadet, I too wondered what I had got myself into as we were assigned to the dorms, 8 to a room with communal bathroom. However, in March 80, we were shipped out to Iliad House which was much better. First ship was Phrontis at Antwerp, 26th December 1981. We flew to Brussels and then by minibus to the ship. I was in the Cadet cabin with J. Banks, separate bedrooms but shared day cabin and bog - Saltwater flush.

Rgds.
Dave