Saying Hello

robertpmc
14th June 2012, 10:19
Hello all,
I'm Robert Setz of Wallasey, Cheshire.
I grew up in and out of boats having lived in a Cornish coastal village in my early youth. I started work (unofficially) aboard MV Tacoma in about 1965 ( a Rhine Barge chartered for lightening work and carrying varieties of petroleum and edible oils up the Mersey and MS Canal) when I was 12 years old (my dad was skipper then and he was very used to finding me productive work aboard - running errands at Latchford or anywhere else! - making tea - painting - swinging valves - you name it!). I got my first official Deck Boys' job at 13 yrs old having gotten my mum to write to the Director of Education to get me out of school before due time! 7.10(bob) a week and "all found"....Yeah! I'd arrived!! After my dad took another ship, I left Tacoma about 6 months before she was involved in a fatal, volatile spirit spill (Aircraft spirit or Benzene I think). I wasn't there but I could tell you how it happened - I'd seen the "quiet" spills before.
I believe the Skipper (my dads replacement) and the mate were charged with manslaughter and the rest of the crew banned from sea.
I believe several men lost their lives as a result of an ensuing explosion.

My first official MN ship was the Adaptity - one of Fred Everards old buckets. Then on through a variety of home trade coasters before going deep sea. RFA, Shell, BP, Bibby, PSNC etc etc. I left the sea in about 1979.

See you around and good luck to all my ex-shipmates!!

linerrich
14th June 2012, 12:46
Greetings and Welcome Aboard!

Rich

Gulpers
14th June 2012, 18:05
Robert,

On behalf of the SN Moderating Team, thanks for your introduction and a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey.
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)*

gdynia
15th June 2012, 07:14
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

billyboy
15th June 2012, 12:53
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

R58484956
15th June 2012, 17:28
Greetings Robert and welcome to SN. Bon voyage

robertpmc
16th June 2012, 10:24
Thank you gentlemen for your warm welcomes! I've seen a good few pics and read some interesting posts here on SN. I was not a great collector of memorabilia from my sea days [pics etc] so it's especially nostalgic for me to see some of my old ships and to read conversations that refer to times I'd spent up to nearly half a century ago! For sailors who've had or still have the "wanderlust", this site is like a home port and filled with common experience. So it's a pleasure and an honour to be welcomed by my peers and shipmates here. Thank you again.

R58484956
17th June 2012, 16:54
Robert the pleasure is ours.

Yurek
18th June 2012, 10:21
Hello !
I"m Yurek from Poland.
I'm interested in old German trawlers (WWII) acting as ASW or Vorpoostenboote.
Especially I'm looknig for photos from the WWII ;)