Steam collier-"Long Ditton"

LesleyH
24th June 2012, 12:20
I'm another one doing family history.What an interesting site you have- I hope someone can help me.
I have discovered an ancestor, James Rothon from Limehouse, who was a chief engineer on the steam collier "Long Ditton". In the 1891 census the collier was in Alexandra Dock, Newport, so I presume the ship carried coal from Wales to London. What cargo would it carry on the return trip?
Would be very grateful to have ANY information about "Long Ditton".
Thanks in anticipation.
Lesley

linerrich
24th June 2012, 12:25
Greetings and Welcome Aboard! No doubt someone in our membership will be able to provide you with the information you seek.

Rich

A.D.FROST
24th June 2012, 13:21
I'm another one doing family history.What an interesting site you have- I hope someone can help me.
I have discovered an ancestor, James Rothon from Limehouse, who was a chief engineer on the steam collier "Long Ditton". In the 1891 census the collier was in Alexandra Dock, Newport, so I presume the ship carried coal from Wales to London. What cargo would it carry on the return trip?
Would be very grateful to have ANY information about "Long Ditton".
Thanks in anticipation.
Lesley

LONG DITTON bt.1870 Commercial SS (32,Great St.Helen's St.)sold 1898 to Wm.Cory,Beached off Mucking light after a collision 24.12.1904refloated and b/u Woolwich 1905

LesleyH
24th June 2012, 16:06
That was quick. Many many thanks for the info.
Lesley

Gulpers
24th June 2012, 19:23
Lesley,

On behalf of the SN Moderating Team, thanks for your introduction and a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey.
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)*

billyboy
24th June 2012, 21:27
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

R58484956
25th June 2012, 17:30
Greetings Lesley and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

jacksinclair
2nd September 2012, 11:16
Greetings all.
I don't have any shipping experience but signed up simply because I discovered the message about the Long Ditton when I was trying to find out some background about the ship's history. My husband had some merchant seamen ancestors and I have attached a picture of a painting he left me of the SS Long Ditton. The title of the painting is "S.S Long Ditton of London. Thomas Blinkhorn Commander November 10th 1870." Not being very computer literate I have tried to attach a photo.
Hope this is of interest.

jacksinclair
2nd September 2012, 11:20
Hmmm. Attachment failed. Will try again later.

jacksinclair
2nd September 2012, 11:24
Second Attempt to send photo. If this fails I will contact the administrator.

rothon
8th January 2013, 15:11
Hi Lesley,

James Rothon was my great Grandfather. I have a lot of information about him and his shipps.

Roger Rothon