Photo backup

YM-Mundrabilla
28th June 2012, 10:47
About to leave for Europe where I anticipate taking perhaps 4,000 photos. In the past I have simply kept everything on SD cards ex the camera which I have guarded with my life.

I recognise the risk in the above but I am reluctant to trust shops to copy the SD cards to CDs/DVDs as backups. I may be paranoid but that's the way I am.

I don't want to cart a laptop around just to backup photos but I have been told that there is now some small lightweight gizmo that will backup photos.

Do any of you good people know anything about such an animal, please?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards and thanks.

John Rogers
28th June 2012, 11:41
Backing up to another storage device don't make sense. I load them on my PC and then take the card to the shop and have a CD and prints made then I erase my card. But being on the go you would need some kind of gadget, I will look around and see if there is one available and post the results for you.

John Rogers
28th June 2012, 11:45
The 120 GB HyperDrive SPACE Portable Storage Device and Memory Card Reader from Sanho is a portable, battery-powered device that allows you to transfer pictures from your digital camera's memory card at speeds of 20 MB/sec. This lets you download a full 1 GB memory card to the hard drive in under one minute. It accepts nearly any card, and has an internal battery for portable use. The HyperDrive is an excellent choice for professional photographers who often find themselves filling a memory card while in the field, and works with both Windows and Mac computers. It also has an LCD information display.

Memory Card Compatibility
The HyperDrive is compatible with most standard memory card formats. These include Compact Flash Type I/II, MD, Secure Digital, SDHC, MMC, xD, xD Type-M, xD Type-H, Memory Stick, MS MagicGate, MS Select, MS PRO, MS PRO MagicGate, MS DUO, MS DUO MagicGate, MS PRO DUO and MS PRO DUO MagicGate.
Fast Backup
You'll be able to download 1 GB of images from a memory card in under a minute, making this an ideal solution for pro photographers who need to download and shoot simultaneously.
Portable Operation
The HyperDrive is designed to be truly portable. It is powered by an internal rechargeable Li-Ion battery, making it a truly portable solution for downloading pictures from memory cards. You'll be able to download more than 100 GB of data on a single charge.
LCD Display
The HyperDrive features an LCD display that shows free space, file transfer status and battery level. You'll even be able to browse through folders and files.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/475666-REG/Sanho_SAHDS120_120GB_HyperDrive_SPACE_Portable.htm l

YM-Mundrabilla
28th June 2012, 11:48
The 120 GB HyperDrive SPACE Portable Storage Device and Memory Card Reader from Sanho is a portable, battery-powered device that allows you to transfer pictures from your digital camera's memory card at speeds of 20 MB/sec. This lets you download a full 1 GB memory card to the hard drive in under one minute. It accepts nearly any card, and has an internal battery for portable use. The HyperDrive is an excellent choice for professional photographers who often find themselves filling a memory card while in the field, and works with both Windows and Mac computers. It also has an LCD information display.

Memory Card Compatibility
The HyperDrive is compatible with most standard memory card formats. These include Compact Flash Type I/II, MD, Secure Digital, SDHC, MMC, xD, xD Type-M, xD Type-H, Memory Stick, MS MagicGate, MS Select, MS PRO, MS PRO MagicGate, MS DUO, MS DUO MagicGate, MS PRO DUO and MS PRO DUO MagicGate.
Fast Backup
You'll be able to download 1 GB of images from a memory card in under a minute, making this an ideal solution for pro photographers who need to download and shoot simultaneously.
Portable Operation
The HyperDrive is designed to be truly portable. It is powered by an internal rechargeable Li-Ion battery, making it a truly portable solution for downloading pictures from memory cards. You'll be able to download more than 100 GB of data on a single charge.
LCD Display
The HyperDrive features an LCD display that shows free space, file transfer status and battery level. You'll even be able to browse through folders and files.

Many thanks John.
I will look into it now that I have a starting point. Your help is very much appreciated.
Regards
Geoff

Cisco
28th June 2012, 11:50
Edit the photos on the camera on a daily basis..... that should reduce it by about 90%.
Invest in a 32 gig card for your camera
Take along a Macbook Air.....

John Rogers
28th June 2012, 11:53
Here is another.

http://www.adorama.com/alc/article/11757

andysk
5th July 2012, 13:47
I use an Epson viewer, I have had the P3000 for many years. It has only a small memory of 40gb though, but other models do have bigger memories. It has a good screen so you can do some weeding out of dud images as well if you want to. It has sockets for SD and CF cards.

I would use smaller cards, max 8gb, and keep them as well so you have your precious - and never to be repeated - images in two places.

Cheers

Andy