Ship Plan Dimension

MT Hopper
11th July 2012, 15:00
Another annoying newbie question.
Many of the ship plans I look at will often give simply "Depth" as a dimension.
My question is does one "assume" ( a highly dangerous practice) or is it the common practice and therefore by default that, the Depth given is in fact the Molded Depth, Depth mld or is it some other sort of Depth?
Cheers
Will

A.D.FROST
11th July 2012, 16:05
My question is does one "assume" ( a highly dangerous practice) or is it the common practice and therefore by default that, the Depth given is in fact the Molded Depth, Depth mld or is it some other sort of Depth?
Cheers
Will
I would think its obvious Depth is Depth and Moulded Depth is Moulded Depth.(sometimes Breadth can be stated as a Moulded Breadth)
Depth;is always the distance between the base line and the upper continuous deck ( Molded Depth would be stated as another measurment,not assumed)(?HUH)

MT Hopper
11th July 2012, 16:36
Thanks for your reply.
As I said I am a newbie and was uncertain if the depth had some further meaning attached to it.I was perhaps mislead by the fact that some plans simply state Depth while others will list only Depth with a lower case mld behind it. When I went to a reference it displayed both Depth and DepthMLD as being the same thing. Being an airlubber it left me hesitant as to how to interpret the two terms when encountered in plans/drawings. Prima faciae it seems obvious but if one is a newbie, it ain't so. From the tone of the message response, sorry I apparently irked you. You could have chosen to not reply and sloughed it off.

A.D.FROST
11th July 2012, 16:52
Thanks for your reply.
As I said I am a newbie and was uncertain if the depth had some further meaning attached to it.I was perhaps mislead by the fact that some plans simply state Depth while others will list only Depth with a lower case mld behind it. When I went to a reference it displayed both Depth and DepthMLD as being the same thing. Being an airlubber it left me hesitant as to how to interpret the two terms when encountered in plans/drawings. Prima faciae it seems obvious but if one is a newbie, it ain't so. From the tone of the message response, sorry I apparently irked you. You could have chosen to not reply and sloughed it off.

Moulded dimensions,Distance between two points,measured at inside of shell plating(or outside framing)

R58484956
11th July 2012, 16:56
MT it takes allsorts to make a world. Apologise for any offence caused, generally speaking we on SN are a helpful and friendly bunch of people.

joebuckham
11th July 2012, 17:23
Cheers
Will

hi will, these were measurements as used by the naval architects as a guide for the men in the moulding loft to mould the frames,beams etc into the correct shape that is why the measurements are taken inside of the plating or the extreme of the frame or beam.they are not used in any calculations regarding stability

hope this helps

regards

MT Hopper
11th July 2012, 17:36
Gentlemen. Thank you for your replies. I shall take it then that in fututre when I encounter the dimensions as simply a ships' Length Breadth and Depth, the depth referred to is the depth as measured from the top of the keel to the bottom of the continuous deck plate?
Thank you
Will
Per Ardua ad Astra et Per Ardua ad Mare

MT Hopper
16th July 2012, 05:48
or Depth as usually given is measured from the top of the keel to the waterline
Thanks
Will

A.D.FROST
16th July 2012, 08:04
or Depth as usually given is measured from the top of the keel to the waterline
Thanks
Will

This is the DRAFT(waterline to main deck FREEBOARD)Both added to-gether = Depth (Thumb)

vectiscol
17th July 2012, 21:37
The moulded dimensions are measured from the heels of the frame/beam/stiffener, because the thickness of the strakes of plating may differ across the bottom or deck, or up the side shell or a bulkhead. The thickness of the plate is thrown from the moulded line, except for members on the centreline, which are often mounted with the centre of the plate on the centreline itself.