converting pdf format

kevjacko
15th July 2012, 16:47
Hi All,

I have been emailed some fantastic images that were taken at Pearl Harbour as it was happening with an old Box Brownie camera. The Camera then lay undiscovered until 2010 when it was found and the images were printed. I would love to share these with the site members. However they were sent in a PDF format document and the gallery won't let me upload them. How do I convert them? if I can at all, or what are the alternatives? I really want to share these fantastic images with the site.

Kev

NoR
15th July 2012, 17:37
You should be able to open up each image and then just save it as a jpg, so you end up with the original .pdf and a .jpg version of it.

Doug Shaw
16th July 2012, 00:46
There is no simple way to do a straight image conversion from PDF to JPEG, but there are many free programs that will do the job. Search the web using "convert pdf images to jpeg" for available options.

A quick way to do it without using a conversion program is to display the pdf image on screen, press PrtScn (Print Screen), open Paint and press Ctrl and v together to paste the screen image into Paint. In Paint, crop the image to the required area and save the file as a jpg. The quality of the resultant image might not be suitable for high-end printing, but should be fine for viewing on screen.

Regards
Doug

John Rogers
16th July 2012, 01:31
Hi All,

I have been emailed some fantastic images that were taken at Pearl Harbour as it was happening with an old Box Brownie camera. The Camera then lay undiscovered until 2010 when it was found and the images were printed. I would love to share these with the site members. However they were sent in a PDF format document and the gallery won't let me upload them. How do I convert them? if I can at all, or what are the alternatives? I really want to share these fantastic images with the site.

Kev

Kev,
There are some photos going around about the Pearl bombing and they are all fake,some of the shots are taken from an aircraft and are official Navy photos, so they cant be from the Brownie camera. Check the photos out I think you will find that they are a Hoax. Just Google Fake or Real.

John Rogers
16th July 2012, 01:43
Old Pictures From a Brownie Camera of the Attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941-Fiction!

Summary of the eRumor:
A collection of stunning pictures of the Japanese Attack on the United States at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, on December 7, 1941. The eRumor says they were found in an old Brownie camera stored in a footlocker and that they were taken by a sailor who was aboard the USS Quapaw.

The Truth:
This eRumor is a hoax. It began circulating on the Internet in 2006.

The pictures are real and but have been collected from public sources such as the U.S. Naval Historical Center.

The Brownie camera was a series of best-selling inexpensive camera from Kodak. But these pictures were not from a Brownie and not from a sailor aboard the USS Quapaw. According to the ship's official web page, she was not launched until May 15, 1943, so she was not among those vessels at Pearl Harbor.

Keltic Star
16th July 2012, 04:20
When viewing the document in Adobe Reader:

click "Edit"

click, "take snapshot"

press right mouse button and move the cursor over the area you want

release mouse button

wait

within seconds, presto, you have a .jpg on your clipboard ready to paste wherever you want.

NoR
16th July 2012, 07:05
You should be able to open up each image and then just save it as a jpg, so you end up with the original .pdf and a .jpg version of it.

Maybe this is just a Mac thing ?

stein
16th July 2012, 07:32
I use MWSnap, it's a free program that makes it easy to lift off any part of any website and convert it to JPG, or a number of other formats.

Satanic Mechanic
16th July 2012, 08:14
kev

I have tried all sorts over the years to try and convert the curse of PDF!!!

I have pretty much settled on getting one of the cameleons at http://www.zamzar.com/ to do it . Free, quick and good quality

kevjacko
16th July 2012, 17:01
Cheers for the replies everyone, fake or not I like them so will post them as a point of historical interest anyway. I got them off a mate who's heavily into photography and he got them from someone at his camera club so I had no reason to doubt. But not being an expert, I suppose you never can tell.

peteloud
22nd July 2012, 09:07
Are these the fotos?
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1893447/posts

I Googled "photo Pearl harbour fake pdf".

No need to convert, just right-click and copy.

kevjacko
22nd July 2012, 10:31
Are these the fotos?
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1893447/posts

I Googled "photo Pearl harbour fake pdf".

No need to convert, just right-click and copy.

Yeah that's them Pete, Did pretty much the same excercise myself. Saves me posting them anyway.

Cheers

Kev