Ice classed Coasters

dannytoro01
15th August 2012, 14:02
dannytoro01

Ice classed Coaster
I was just curious to see if anyone had information on past smallish coastal freighters. I am looking at a ship to serve the hard and remote coastal towns of Labrador and some Newfoundland outports. My overall aim is to have the same ship transit to the Southeast USA for trade. What makes the requirement tough is that I want to tailor the ship to local products. And also be able to bring in TEU containers for inbound supplies to maximize revenue.

The local products available include stone products including dimension stones up to 10 tons. And also frozen seafood. Normally 20 to 50 thousand pounds per processor stop. With probably up to 12 stops. I am heavily leaning to Reefer TEU's. Meaning Reefer plugs of course. I am not very familiar with pallet carriers per say. My worry there is dockage time. It would be a distinct advantage to have TEU's pre-loaded.

I have seen some pallet carriers with a very handy looking heavy cranes. But one issue is that most stops lack facilities for storage. Can anyone relate their experiences on Pallet Carriers?
One other issue I have noted is the installed power of ice classed ships. My aim can wait for far lighter ice conditions. Most of the harvesting and cutting must be done first anyway. I am not sure a lot of horsepower and fuel expense is needed. I would think a nice economical 10-14 knots cruise speed would be just fine.Post any thoughts or pictures. They would be appreciated.

P.S. I really wonder if I need a heavy crane. Maybe a heavy derrick would do. Could a heavy derrick handle TEU's and large stones? Or is it more trouble then it's worth? Thanks guys!

DenisM
17th August 2012, 21:39
dannytoro01

Ice classed Coaster
I was just curious to see if anyone had information on past smallish coastal freighters. I am looking at a ship to serve the hard and remote coastal towns of Labrador and some Newfoundland outports. My overall aim is to have the same ship transit to the Southeast USA for trade. What makes the requirement tough is that I want to tailor the ship to local products. And also be able to bring in TEU containers for inbound supplies to maximize revenue.

The local products available include stone products including dimension stones up to 10 tons. And also frozen seafood. Normally 20 to 50 thousand pounds per processor stop. With probably up to 12 stops. I am heavily leaning to Reefer TEU's. Meaning Reefer plugs of course. I am not very familiar with pallet carriers per say. My worry there is dockage time. It would be a distinct advantage to have TEU's pre-loaded.

I have seen some pallet carriers with a very handy looking heavy cranes. But one issue is that most stops lack facilities for storage. Can anyone relate their experiences on Pallet Carriers?
One other issue I have noted is the installed power of ice classed ships. My aim can wait for far lighter ice conditions. Most of the harvesting and cutting must be done first anyway. I am not sure a lot of horsepower and fuel expense is needed. I would think a nice economical 10-14 knots cruise speed would be just fine.Post any thoughts or pictures. They would be appreciated.

P.S. I really wonder if I need a heavy crane. Maybe a heavy derrick would do. Could a heavy derrick handle TEU's and large stones? Or is it more trouble then it's worth? Thanks guys!

The Newfoundland/Labrador service is serviced mainly by provincial and private operators. Product for the UA east coast market would be shipped to Halifax, Nova Scotia then onwardsto US ports

dannytoro01
21st August 2012, 13:12
Yes. That is the current operation. But one poorly serving aboriginal communities(or any other community) on the Labrador coast. Who's economic development are being stunted by the inability to economically ship products. Which is primarily why I am exploring the issue.