The Lewis Gun

cshortridge73
4th September 2012, 17:28
Today they are one of the most popular weapons sought by military arms collectors and aficionados. Those in good firing condition often command prices of more than $20,000. Even one that has been demilitarized (non-working) will fetch $3,000 to $5,000, or better. Yet, few of today’s military buffs are aware of the dramatic role it played in two major world conflicts. The object in question is the forgotten gun of WW II - the famed Lewis Automatic machine gun that shot down more planes in WW I than all of the Vickers and Spandau guns combined. They also became standard issue infantry weapons in the Belgian and British armies which purchased more than 135,000 of them
from 1914 to 1918.

If your into military guns....you'll love this one....click HERE (http://navalmerchantshiparticles.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-lewis-gun.html)

chadburn
5th September 2012, 18:42
Very much the weapon (in pair's) used onboard R.N. and R.A.F. fast boat's in WW2.

WilliamH
6th September 2012, 07:51
Is that the machine gun with the circular magazine fitted horazontaly on top of the barrel, if so I remember the actor Paul Hogan caring one round in ANZACs, screened on television years ago.

chadburn
6th September 2012, 12:52
Yes it is William, HMG must have had quite a few in the Store's as they appeared on most military equipment in the early day's of WW2 and were the favourite weapon of the Long Range Desert Group's for shooting up German Airfield's in North Africa.

Graham Wallace
6th September 2012, 16:14
I have had a booklet on the Lewis gun that my old man collected in the Home Guard in Llandudno 1940/45. It is for maintenance and operation , no named author only ,"by an Instructor".

An expensive edition at around 80 pages, and printed in 1918

I have a few more booklets and pamphlets on similar WWII material;

Sten gun ,exploding view pamphlet.
Thompson submachine gang.
Manual of rifles,Mauser ,Ross, Garand automatic, Springfield P14, Mannlicher-Carcano ( Did Kennedy's assasin use one of these?)
Training of snipers.
Manual of Grenades
Small arms training pamphlets 1942.
German army identification pictures and identification of uniforms/ranks

And a few other odds and sods, that I never thought wouls see the light of day, keep them all stored with memorabilia of my life.

Somehow though I cant find the Pike my old man used patroling the Great Orme!

Graham

chadburn
6th September 2012, 16:31
That will be worth something now Graham I would have thought, the story of the "Special Group's" who would have gone into hiding is quite a story in itself, they had equipment that the Army Regular's were not issued with.

cshortridge73
6th September 2012, 16:42
You gentlemen are "Making my day" in your comments and chat about this article of mine.....wow...the things I'm learning....awesome!!! This is just what I wanted.....stir the pot and get the chatter going....

Yep you've all made my day

Graham Wallace
6th September 2012, 17:00
A couple more WWII phamphlets

Sten machine gun, rather a grandiose name for the sinple 'Sten', expensive phamphlet at sixpence, nice eploded view when unfolded.

Then the Thompson submachine gun, the 'Tommy gun'. Model 1928,.45 calibre! Now that was a machine gun!, drum( 50 rounds) or box magazine (20 rounds)

And finally How to potect your home against air raids and the last two lines are particularily poignant...'keep it carefully'. I wonder where that was , in your garden shed?

Unfortunately having trouble scanning the sten and house phamphlet to suit SN limits, will work on that.

Graham

Duncan112
6th September 2012, 17:14
the story of the "Special Group's" who would have gone into hiding is quite a story in itself, they had equipment that the Army Regular's were not issued with.

"Churchill's Underground Army" by John Warwicker is compelling reading, quite expensive though, even S/H from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Churchills-Underground-Army-History-Auxiliary/dp/1848325150/ref=sr_1_62?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346947951&sr=1-62

charles henry
10th September 2012, 15:07
Having used a number of different machine guns I would put the Lewis on the bottom of the list. It had a tendency to jam, forget the number of rounds but the capacity was poor. (You ran out of ammo by the time you had guaged the attacking plane's angle).
The Marlins were a better gun, normally mounted in pairs along with an "armoured shield" plus a belt of ammo (useless but made you feel safer).
The Hotchkis was similar to the Lewis, mounted on a pole with a tendancy to jam.

Eventually they gave the us ORLECANS (spelling) which were indeed a good weapon.

On leave you could take a two day course on guns and pick up ten and sixpence for your troubles
Ah memories..... we were young and indestructable....

Chas