new liner FRANCE

jg grant
15th September 2012, 04:47
Just picked up my August model boats magazine and it contained a couple of pictures of the new liner,'France'. If you think that todays floating blocks of flats are ugly you should cop a look at this monstrosity. They are only artists impression at this stage but he must have got some information somewhere. No sheer and two big blocks of high rise flats.Incredibly bad! Tried google but I couldn't find anything there.

BobClay
15th September 2012, 09:14
I Googled with 'new liner France' and got a few hits. It sure is a butt ugly m**********r as Arnie would say.

http://oceanshaker.com/2010/05/06/the-new-240m-cruise-ship-france/

billyboy
15th September 2012, 09:23
Oh my goodness. That is truly awful to look at. Looks like it was designed by a kid.

BobClay
15th September 2012, 16:37
I should point out that I'm not really any sort of expert on passenger liners. In 21 years at sea I only sailed on the 'Empress of Canada' for one month (two Atlantic crossings) in 1967 as an engine room rating (a 'wiper'.)
However, if this is how this new France is going to look, well ... to me (and as Albert said, it's all relative) it is UGLY.

And that's a pity, because the original SS France was quite a beauty.

I guess I'm an old f****r.

Dickyboy
15th September 2012, 16:58
I've seen better designs for ships on our own "Artwork" threads. With only 500 pax, she'll not be much bigger than a large ferry.

A.D.FROST
15th September 2012, 17:17
Perhaps they got the idea from the photos. of Kate(Hippy)

Peter Eccleson
17th September 2012, 11:54
It's got to be a joke....... something from a kids book!

sydney heads
17th September 2012, 12:43
Look at the size of those apartment funnel structures!
Imagine the signage- "No Smoking in the chimney" lol
They claim it will be a "greenship", but imagine just how much wind these will catch.
Secondly, I wouldn't fancy "relaxing" in the penthouse suite atop the apartments, in any sort of big sea.
But no doubt, there would be some who would pay good money for that G-force ride methinks.

umtali
22nd September 2012, 06:06
Searching for a printable comment to make, could only come up with "certainly different".

Louis XXV de France
6th October 2012, 02:22
Still smarting from the loss of the Norway (nee France), the hideous scale-up of some wayward desk paperweight that is this mock-up of a new France would certainly represent the zenith of floating scatology were it ever to be built.

R396040
6th October 2012, 10:34
yes the previous FRANCE was a beautiful ship. In the sixties I was on Cunard cargo ships and we would see her both it Le Havre and New York East River and she was a lovely ship. Always recall sitting in Market Diner and noticing she was the longest one of the three regular callers there,QM,QE and her. I went on board in Le Havreand was shown around by our agent who was also CGT i think.It was sad to see her laid up in later years at Le Havre before becoing Norway,dont think the new colours suited her.
In retirement here in France at Rocheouart lake I saw her again ( in full glory) but this time as a model and steaming majestically past an old friend the Queen Mary. This was about five years ago I think getting old..... Talked to the owner of the QM model, complimenting him on his great model and he was very appreciative on learning I had sailed on the original too.
Stuart H

R58484956
6th October 2012, 12:25
Designers of Normandie must be turning in their graves.

NINJA
6th October 2012, 13:26
Thought it was April 1st, must be a joke!

Louis XXV de France
6th October 2012, 23:20
Many have said that the famous NORMANDIE represented the last word in smart Art Deco style. The penultimate pre-war french liner was everything. Fast, up-to-the-minute design, adorned with perhaps the most fabulous interior decor to have seen blue water in the last century, her fame for ship lovers everywhere has long outlived her brief career and ignoble end at a Hudson River wharfside.

CGT's last FRANCE, with the coming of new safety at sea international law pertaining to passenger accomodations, was generally regarded as having a much more pedestrian interior. Her beauty, however, very much rested with the incomparable lines of her matchless hull; finer than her famous predecessor, from any distance certainly one of the most handsome machines to have ever crossed the ocean, during her career at the hand of French masters. Her transformation into the NORWAY did much to preserve her life at sea, although at some expense to her incomparable profile. Her destruction on the shoals of Alang was yet another in a long line of great losses in the nearly forgotten world of the fast, transatlantic liner.

China hand
7th October 2012, 19:41
Many have said that the famous NORMANDIE represented the last word in smart Art Deco style. The penultimate pre-war french liner was everything. Fast, up-to-the-minute design, adorned with perhaps the most fabulous interior decor to have seen blue water in the last century, her fame for ship lovers everywhere has long outlived her brief career and ignoble end at a Hudson River wharfside.

CGT's last FRANCE, with the coming of new safety at sea international law pertaining to passenger accomodations, was generally regarded as having a much more pedestrian interior. Her beauty, however, very much rested with the incomparable lines of her matchless hull; finer than her famous predecessor, from any distance certainly one of the most handsome machines to have ever crossed the ocean, during her career at the hand of French masters. Her transformation into the NORWAY did much to preserve her life at sea, although at some expense to her incomparable profile. Her destruction on the shoals of Alang was yet another in a long line of great losses in the nearly forgotten world of the fast, transatlantic liner.

Very nicely put.

7th October 2012, 20:40
I can see her hove to with heave to and mal de mer. There is a lot of designer in her but no naval architectural experience. Very French, very complicated with a lot of shrugs of the shoulder.

john blythe
12th October 2012, 02:52
The new liner FRANCE yes she is like a block of flats .But she will not see much bad weather. She is a sun ship . But if it get rough on it i would not wont to be on it . As big as she is

Old Se Dog
9th May 2019, 13:44
my favorite passenger ship - and then the cringe factor of the second - !