Anyone remember Eric Deverell?

chief's daughter
17th September 2012, 00:43
Fell upon this forum accidently. My mum was on the phone reading me out an old letter from my dad who was an engineer with Shaw Savill, and she was reading about the Runic running aground. I decided to do some googling and fell upon this place.

My dad never spoke much about his voyages but I've always had an interest in hearing some of the tales. As a family we are keeping fingers crossed that he will make his 100th birthday in January (Thumb)

John.H.Clark
17th September 2012, 09:08
You will find a great deal on Runic in the new book about Shaw Savill's Splendid Sisters ,get him a copy for his birthday. The authors are in touch with at least one deck officer , who provided a number of photos,
John

brandane
24th September 2012, 18:16
You will find a great deal on Runic in the new book about Shaw Savill's Splendid Sisters ,get him a copy for his birthday. The authors are in touch with at least one deck officer , who provided a number of photos,
John

Hi John

The book is not the Splendid Sisters which is old book written about the passenger ships Southern Cross and Northern Star.
The new book published 2011 is titled "The Magnificent Seven" about the Gothic and Ceramic, class of big ships, including Runic.

Cheers Jamie
Shaw Savill Society (NZ Branch)

brandane
26th September 2012, 05:59
Greetings Jamie,

I have had the request by Eric’s daughter passed to me by another MN Old Boy, George Heggie, who knows of my involvement in the RUNICS demise.

Firstly, yes I knew Eric Deverell, I sailed as a Junior engineer with him on a trip, (I think on the PERSIC ) back in about 1959.

I subsequently went to the Suevic, and then on to the Runic. I was third engineer , in charge of the 12-4 watch, on the night she went aground in 1961and we spent five weeks attempting to rescue the vessel, before we had to abandon her.

A good report of the disaster is in the book “ SHAW SAVILL’S MAGINIFICENT SEVEN’” published last year by Ships In Focus Publications, and compiled by Andrew Bell and Murray Robinson of new Zealand. Price: 25 Pounds. Stg.

I was glad to hear Eric is still doing so well, and wish him every success in attaining his 100 years. ( I have a bit to go yet, I am only 77+)

I finished with the Merchant Navy in 1965, after Chief’s Ticket and sailing as 2nd Engineer on the Gothic.

Wonderful years, and everyone I know from that time, agrees, they were the halcyon years, before containerisation kicked in and the voyaged were short hops.

Please pass on my very best to Eric and family and feel free for anyone to contact me on my email address, here in Fremantle , Western Australia.: ‘[email protected]

Regards,

Jimmy Andrew

chief's daughter
27th September 2012, 01:31
Thank you, thank you, thank you. You are bringing my dad back to life for me. To me he has always been old (he was nearly 50 when I was born) but to see him now not even remembering who I am is heartbreaking, so to hear how is was is magnificent. Thank you.

Just this week dad was taken to hospital and will go into full time care from there but, all being well, my family will be flying to England in January to help him celebrate his 100th. I'm trying to put together a bank of memories in the form of photos, letters, and stories to present him with.

Many thanks again and btw Jimmy, I live in Wellard just north of Rockingham :)

John.H.Clark
1st October 2012, 12:33
Brandane is quite right about book title . I sailed with Neil Hamilton , when I was a cadet, on Athenic after the loss of Runic. The Master did not perform well at the enquiry. Neil was on the bridge when she struck.

John

chief's daughter
4th October 2012, 03:27
Phew, I thought for a minute you were going to say my dad got in trouble too LOL