Colour picker problem

rickles23
21st September 2012, 09:01
Hi,
I noticed today that in the Photoshop CS3 colour picker instead of a red I was getting a murky orange colour.

I tried the Ctrl+Shift+Alt trick which has worked once before but no change.

I then uninstalled and the reinstalled CS3 but the problem remains.

I have added two photos:

#1 Should show Red but I get this Orange

#2 Is the colour Library

Help please.

Regards

Duncan112
21st September 2012, 16:49
Might be trying to suggest that you suck eggs but:

Has the calibration on your monitor slipped?

Have you tried loading an image that you know has the red you want in it, sampling with the dropper and seeing what the colour mix is identified as?

Do you have the same problem with all colour systems?

Finally if you have access to another image program such as PSP do you have the same problems?

Farmer John
21st September 2012, 17:35
I don't think it is a software problem, If you check the RGB numbers you Have 255, 0, 0 and It caint get redder than that.

rickles23
22nd September 2012, 08:21
Hi and thank you for the replies,

Has the calibration on your monitor slipped. No

Have you tried loading an image that you know has the red you want in it, sampling with the dropper and seeing what the colour mix is identified as. Yes and I still get Red as orange although the number is 255

Do you have the same problem with all colour systems. No just the red

Finally if you have access to another image program such as PSP do you have the same problems. No

I also loaded the CS3 onto the laptop and the red is the actual colour red.

Regards

rickles23
22nd September 2012, 14:45
Hi,

I printed off a square of that colour (255) but it printed the same shade of orange.

I also loaded the CS3 onto the laptop which has Windows 7 and the red is the actual colour red.

Tomorrow, my time, I will load CS3 onto a spare desktop which is also XP to see if the same happens.

Attached is a small picture and on the monitor I see the exact shade of red.
But when I load it into CS3 the red changes to that orange and CS3 says it is 255.

Regards

rickles23
24th September 2012, 08:26
Hi
Finally solved that problem.

I uninstalled the program, used another program to get Adobe Utilities - CS5 - ExtendScript Toolkit CS5 out of the system.

Next was a program called Uninstaller to track down any connected files.

Apparently there is a folder that is usually missed called Bonjour

Next the Registry but I always do a backup before going any further.

I had to go into:

HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

to get all the Adobe out of the system.

Finally open up the hidden files and folders because there are a lot more in there.

Reinstalled CS3 and the red is red and prints red all back to normal.

I hate computers.

Regards

Duncan112
24th September 2012, 18:14
Thanks Rickles, one to leave in the memory banks.

Seriously though it's always useful when a problem has been solved that the cure is posted as you have done rather than leave the thread open ended. Many thanks

Farmer John
24th September 2012, 21:21
Impressive erudition there, did you work out what had broken it? My guess would be some profiling of printer, monitor colour space or some such, but it is a guess only.

rickles23
25th September 2012, 07:56
Hi both,

That was "easy," the difficult part comes now to play with settings to replicate the problem

That's the next job and the reason for installing it on the spare desktop.

I have an idea it might be either a Registery Cleaner or CrapCleaner.

I cannot replicate it through CS3.

Regards

John Rogers
26th September 2012, 17:23
Bonjour is Apple's implementation of Zero configuration networking (Zeroconf), a group of technologies that includes service discovery, address assignment, and host name resolution. Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records.

The software comes built-in with Apple's OS X and iOS operating systems. Bonjour can also be installed onto computers running Microsoft Windows. Bonjour components may also be included within other software such as iTunes and Safari.

rickles23
28th September 2012, 08:45
Hi John,

That is interesting, Bonjour re-installed itself before I reloaded CS3. CS3 is behaving itself so far.

It could be possible that there was a hiccup with the original Bonjour and the new one is more stable.

A lot of CS3 and up users always include Bonjour in their uninstall so what I might try is to delete something in the Folder and see if it upsets CS3.

Regards