Kamikaze!

cshortridge73
22nd September 2012, 13:49
A "DIVINE WIND" THAT BLOWS NO GOOD.

Have you ever wondered just what inspired the Japanese to use "Kamikazes"? Well actually...contrary to general public opinion....these suicide planes were not.....and the key word here is "not" the desperate measures of an enemy facing doom.

What they did do....is make it dog-gone rough for our carriers in the Pacific Fleet. Our carriers was known as "Soft Tops"...their unarmored flight decks made them perculiarly susceptible to air attack. If they did get hit....and believe me they were taking a good many hits....they had a 7,000 mile voyage to either Pearl Harbor or the West Coast....and that my friends pretty much took them out of the action for at least three months.

So the article: A "DIVINE WIND" THAT BLOWS NO GOOD (http://navalmerchantshiparticles.blogspot.com/2010/06/kamikaze.html) I hope to explain the : "Why the Kamikazes....What were the reasons behind throwing away a life...How were we ....(we being the U.S. Navy) going to stop them....and when is that going to happen?......[just click on the above TITLE and it will take you to the LINK]

charles henry
24th September 2012, 17:42
They were certainly brave men willing to literally comnit suicide for their country. I do not want to start a debate on right or wrong but merely commenting on the facts of Kamakazi
Chas

Hugh Ferguson
24th September 2012, 21:12
Thanks, Bud, that was most interesting and contained much detail of which I had never been aware of previously.

cshortridge73
24th September 2012, 21:39
You are very welcome Hugh. More on the way....

billyboy
24th September 2012, 23:38
thanks for posting. A lot of facts there i was unaware of.

Union Jack
25th September 2012, 00:28
Thoroughly agree with Hugh Ferguson - another fascinating entry from CS73. It's also interesting to recall the experiences of the fleet carriers of the British Pacific Fleet which were attacked by "Kamikazes", specifically HM Ships FORMIDABLE, INDEFATIGABLE, and VICTORIOUS, not least in relation to the following extract from the DT's obituary for Commander "Dickie" Reynolds of INDEFATIGABLE which reflects some of CS73's observations :

"In April, Indefatigable was one of four British carriers which took part in Operation Iceberg, the invasion of Okinawa. Early on April 1, Reynolds was engaging a Mitsubishi A6M "Zeke" kamikaze carrying a 500 lb bomb when it dived on Indefatigable's flight deck where its bomb detonated. Four officers and 10 ratings were killed and 16 wounded, but the ship was saved from more serious damage by her armoured flight deck.

Flying was resumed less than an hour later, vastly impressing Indefatigable's US Navy liaison officer: "When a kamikaze hits a US carrier," he said, "it's six months repair at Pearl. In a Limey carrier, it's 'Sweepers, man your brooms'." Reynolds shot down two "Zekes" later that day and went on to shoot down a third on May 4. For his service in Operation Iceberg, he was awarded a DSC."

So far as I am aware, none of the British ships lost in the Pacific War were sunk by "kamikazes", although the damage done by "kamikazes" to some undoubtedly brought about their premature removal from the Navy List.

Jack