Stella Mary

Pain
6th October 2012, 14:10
Looking for pictures of the Stella Mary and the Judith Mary operated by Peckston's Shipping as my father was first officer back in the late fifties early sixties, his name was Charles Edward Pain, known as Ted,he sailed from Stockton to Finland mainly, occasionally Ireland, where as a 7 year old I accompanied him one New Year's Eve back in 1957ish. The crossing to, if I can remember correctly, to Larne, took 14 hours in one of the worst storms for a very long time. I can remember being seasick all the way and my little sister only 4 at the time, saying "daddy can you stop it for 1 minute and I'll feel better".

Gulpers
6th October 2012, 14:12
Pain,

On behalf of the SN Moderating Team, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey.
I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and I am also sure that someone will be able to help with your query in the meantime have a good look around. (Thumb)

fred henderson
6th October 2012, 15:42
A warm welcome to SN. I hope that you will fully enjoy the benefits of your membership by joining in the discussions on any topic that you find to be of interest to you.

Pompeyfan
6th October 2012, 18:44
Also on behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Pain.

billyboy
6th October 2012, 22:15
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

gdynia
7th October 2012, 05:50
welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

R58484956
7th October 2012, 10:50
Greetings Pain and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

jchrisk
9th January 2013, 16:54
Hi to a fellow "voluntary ex crewmate" - As a 16 year old thinking of joining the MN I spent my 1956 Easter holiday sailing to Finland and back on the Stella Mary. I believe that the Stella Mary and the Judith Mary were named by the owner - J G Peckston - after his daughters. We sailed from Corporation Quay, Stockton with a cargo of steel plate - as good a pendulum as you could not wish for on a small ship in very rough weather! I know just how you felt on your trip....It was so cold in The Baltic that we had to knock the ice off the rigging, hatches and decks with sledgehammers. First port was Abo (Turku), then to Helsinki and finally Kotka where we took on a cargo of timber which was loaded by women dockers. Coming back some of that part of the cargo which was on deck shifted so we had a list of about 5 degrees coming into Surrey Commercial Docks in London. I am sorry but I can not remember the names of any of the officers except the master who was Danny Martin. I think he lived in either Waterloo Road or Victoria Road in Middlesbrough. I do recall that one of the officers had a finger missing! I believe Peckstons sold the ship in the early 1960s. I may have one or two photos which I took on the trip although they may take some finding. There is a full page photograph of the Stella Mary lying at Corporation Quay in Stockton in the book "Memories of Stockton" - the libraries ref no is ISBN
1 900 463 41 5. Hope this is of help and interest.

Erimus
9th January 2013, 19:16
Stella Mary ...She was Fenix 1954(?) or similar before JGP bought her.

geoff

R58484956
10th January 2013, 12:25
Greetings jchrisk and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

dkmlondon
26th January 2015, 13:11
I have recently joined this group, searching for family data, and came across this thread. Stella Mary was named after my mother, Stella Peckston, JGP was my grandfather. Sadly I have very little information about the ship, so would love to hear from any members about its history.

Erimus
26th January 2015, 13:26
I have recently joined this group, searching for family data, and came across this thread. Stella Mary was named after my mother, Stella Peckston, JGP was my grandfather. Sadly I have very little information about the ship, so would love to hear from any members about its history.

Therefore you must be one of the children of the late Nigel Moir....knew him well in my early days on the Tees as I worked for the 'opposition' to The Colonel, Constantines, and Nigel was one of my instructors for my Shipbroking exams.......am sure with the number of people from the North East being regulars to this forum someone will be able to assist you.

geoff

dkmlondon
26th January 2015, 15:07
Therefore you must be one of the children of the late Nigel Moir....knew him well in my early days on the Tees as I worked for the 'opposition' to The Colonel, Constantines, and Nigel was one of my instructors for my Shipbroking exams.......am sure with the number of people from the North East being regulars to this forum someone will be able to assist you.

geoff

Kind of you to reply. Yes indeed - one of the 5!
All now away from the NE, and both parents passed away 2007/8. Archive a bit limited, so any help gratefully received.

R58484956
26th January 2015, 15:11
Greetings dkmlondon and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Mad Landsman
26th January 2015, 18:48
It might be worth pointing out to those who do not know:

Stella Maris, Latin for 'star of the sea', can mean:
To Seafaring Christians, particularly RC, it is the Virgin Mary.
To other seafarers it can refer to the Pole Star.

I wonder which, if either, Mr Peckston had in mind when he named his daughter.

cueball44
26th January 2015, 20:28
GOOGLE Peckston shipping ltd. Then scroll down to North East Maritime - view topic Stella Mary (1949). You will see pictures of both vessels, and some information.

Erimus
26th January 2015, 21:56
It might be worth pointing out to those who do not know:

Stella Maris, Latin for 'star of the sea', can mean:
To Seafaring Christians, particularly RC, it is the Virgin Mary.
To other seafarers it can refer to the Pole Star.

I wonder which, if either, Mr Peckston had in mind when he named his daughter.

Indeed he did.....he told me so in one of the few talks I was allowed with him..

geoff

trotterdotpom
26th January 2015, 23:33
ML, I've never heard of the Pole Star being referred to as "Stella Maris" - are you thinking of "Stella Polaris"?

John T

Mad Landsman
27th January 2015, 08:47
ML, I've never heard of the Pole Star being referred to as "Stella Maris" - are you thinking of "Stella Polaris"?

John T

Yes, I realise that it is not the original use but apparently some folk seriously object to religious connotations - so there is an alternative referring to the North Star or Pole Star, or so I was told.
I had to include it in the interests of diversity.

Malcolm.

Danny O'Neill
4th April 2015, 20:46
I was mate of the Stella Mary March/April 1960.
When I joined her she was registered in STOCTON-ON TEES but during the above period the reg. was changed to Dublin after she was bought by Messrs Roadstone Ltd. of Drogheda and Managed by Kearon & Tyrrell of Arklow.
She was ex Swedish built for the timber trade and not suitable for the carriage of bulk cargoes and grab discharging, which she was bought for and she was very heavy on deck with very high hatch coamings and heavy hatch boards and tarpaulins.
We were engaged carrying Roadstone from Drogheda to London River and coal or grain back to Ireland, all grab disharges.
I do not recall your fathers name, there was a Capt. Bennett from Belfast there all the time I was on board.

jchrisk
4th April 2015, 21:57

DKM I hope my earlier post will of help to you. My father was a member of Middlesbrough Rotary Club at the same time as your grandfather and it was this connection which resulted in my Baltic voyage on the Stella Mary. I well remember your father Nigel - Peckston's offices (demolished as part of the Dundas Street redevelopment) were close to those where I started work (shore side rather than at sea) in 1959. We would regularly see him driving past in his red Singer Gazelle Convertible - to us this was the ultimate in what today would be termed as cool, even more so when he had the hood down with the sun shining on his bald pate. He was a charming and extrovert gentleman. The Stella M was crewed by Merchant Seamen drawn from "The Pool" - a form of seamen's employment exchange. Names I recall are Bill Eaves, ? Harrison, "Jock", Brian Swift, Dave (?)Healey. Can not remember the Bosun's name or those of any of the officers except the Captain - Danny Martin. Hope this is of interest. JChrisK

dkmlondon
21st September 2016, 10:36
DKM I hope my earlier post will of help to you. My father was a member of Middlesbrough Rotary Club at the same time as your grandfather and it was this connection which resulted in my Baltic voyage on the Stella Mary. I well remember your father Nigel - Peckston's offices (demolished as part of the Dundas Street redevelopment) were close to those where I started work (shore side rather than at sea) in 1959. We would regularly see him driving past in his red Singer Gazelle Convertible - to us this was the ultimate in what today would be termed as cool, even more so when he had the hood down with the sun shining on his bald pate. He was a charming and extrovert gentleman. The Stella M was crewed by Merchant Seamen drawn from "The Pool" - a form of seamen's employment exchange. Names I recall are Bill Eaves, ? Harrison, "Jock", Brian Swift, Dave (?)Healey. Can not remember the Bosun's name or those of any of the officers except the Captain - Danny Martin. Hope this is of interest. JChrisK

Very much of interest! Many thanks for the memory - I just remember the Gazelle, a thrilling ride for a 4 year-old! As to the bald pate, it is in the genes! SM was sold when I was about 18 months old, so have no memory of her, other that my Grandfather (JGP) bemoaning the weight of the covers, which slowed things down too much!