Retired

Mikenes
16th October 2012, 14:59
Hi All. I'm Mike Nesbitt. Sailed as an Engineer with Esso, BP Oil, and Bell Lines of Waterford.
Now enjoying retirement.

ART6
16th October 2012, 16:40
Hi All. I'm Mike Nesbitt. Sailed as an Engineer with Esso, BP Oil, and Bell Lines of Waterford.
Now enjoying retirement.

Welcome aboard Mike! I was an S2/E with Esso in the nineteen-sixties -- were you around then? I live in Waterford and knew Bell Lines well.

You'll find a lot on this forum to interest you, although there are a lot of curmudgeons on it by their own admission!

Pompeyfan
16th October 2012, 18:01
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Mike.

Gulpers
16th October 2012, 19:01
Mikenes,

Also on behalf of the SN Moderating Team, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey!
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

billyboy
16th October 2012, 22:46
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

gdynia
17th October 2012, 04:25
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Mikenes
17th October 2012, 10:49
a big "Thank you" to all who have welcomed me on board. Looking forward so much to a new experience.

Mikenes
17th October 2012, 10:52
Welcome aboard Mike! I was an S2/E with Esso in the nineteen-sixties -- were you around then? I live in Waterford and knew Bell Lines well.

You'll find a lot on this forum to interest you, although there are a lot of curmudgeons on it by their own admission!

Hi there. I sailed on Esso Winchester, and was on board when we met Sir Francis Chicester in mid Atlantic. He hadn't been seen since rounding the Horn and contact had been lost.
Also sailed on Esso Durham, Portsmouth (3 times), Cambridge, and Purfleet.
I probably have met you somewhere along the line. What is your name?
Mike

ART6
17th October 2012, 16:09
Hi there. I sailed on Esso Winchester, and was on board when we met Sir Francis Chicester in mid Atlantic. He hadn't been seen since rounding the Horn and contact had been lost.
Also sailed on Esso Durham, Portsmouth (3 times), Cambridge, and Purfleet.
I probably have met you somewhere along the line. What is your name?
Mike

Mike, I was 3/e on the Portsmouth from October 1965 to end of February 1966, and was J2/e on the Durham for one trip to Nigeria from the beginning of February 1969 to March 1969, during the Biafran war. My real name is Tony Manser.

The trip on the Durham is one that I prefer to forget as that damned ship seemed determined to blow me up (cargo pump turbine blowing up in my face when I tried to start the bloody thing, etc.). What a wreck that ship was then! The engine room was designed according to Murphy's Law, in that if it could go wrong it would.

Mikenes
18th October 2012, 11:01
Hi Tony. What a coincidence. I also did a trip to Nigeria in 1969 (Thumb)on the Durham during the Biafran war; We went to Bonny (or is it Bonnie?).
On the way back, and half way across the Bay of Biscay, a boiler feed pump blew up. Lovely time was had by all!!
Perhaps we have met, as your name seems familiar

ART6
18th October 2012, 13:22
Hi Tony. What a coincidence. I also did a trip to Nigeria in 1969 (Thumb)on the Durham during the Biafran war; We went to Bonny (or is it Bonnie?).
On the way back, and half way across the Bay of Biscay, a boiler feed pump blew up. Lovely time was had by all!!
Perhaps we have met, as your name seems familiar

Hi Mike. Since as far as I am aware the Durham only did one trip to Bonny then we must have sailed together. It was certainly an eventful voyage, like my having a cargo pump turbine blow up in my face as I was starting it in preparation for discharging ballast!