Capetown

bilge bill
2nd November 2012, 10:40
Hi, Does anyone remember *tikki Hock*, and where we used to buy it?? Bill

Monket
2nd November 2012, 11:37
Tikki Hoki

I seem to remember drinking it in South Africa.
I think "Tikki" refered to its cost.

Monket
2nd November 2012, 11:40
And now I've just noticed the title of this thread.
I really do have an appointment with Specsavers at 12.30.
A bar at or near a railway station springs to mind.

bilge bill
2nd November 2012, 11:47
Absolutely right, tikki hock at the railway station bar Capetown, Tikki was the sixpenny piece in the old money before they went to the Rand. Their old money was exactly the same coins as ours in Uk, everywhere in Southampton was alive to this, and we had to wait till we were well away from there before we could dupe a shopkeeper by using SA money, regards Bill

Monket
3rd November 2012, 00:49
I went to South Africa on the MV Dunelmia, MV Rustenburgh Castle and the MV Weybridge much the same years as you.

Reef Knot
3rd November 2012, 07:41
Absolutely right, tikki hock at the railway station bar Capetown, Tikki was the sixpenny piece in the old money before they went to the Rand. Their old money was exactly the same coins as ours in Uk, everywhere in Southampton was alive to this, and we had to wait till we were well away from there before we could dupe a shopkeeper by using SA money, regards BillA tickey was a 3 penny piece and a 6 penny piece was a sixpence.

bilge bill
3rd November 2012, 09:00
I stand corrected, but it was a bloody good brew Bill

woodend
3rd November 2012, 09:18
If my memory serves me right from my first visit to Cape Town in 1955, a 'tikkie hock' was a fairy large glass of sweet brown sherry (Old Brown Sherry as it is called now and still sells at about R20.00 for 750 ml. in the outlets). It could be bought at the 'Tikkie Bar' on Cape Town Station. A 'tikkie' was 3 pence and for sixpence you would get a brandy (Cape Smoke).

bilge bill
3rd November 2012, 10:00
If my memory serves me right from my first visit to Cape Tow in 1955, a 'tikkie hock' was a fairy large glass of sweet brown sherry (Old Brown Sherry as it is called now and still sells at about R20.00 for 750 ml. in the outlets). It could be bought at the 'Tikkie Bar' on Cape Town Station. A 'tikkie' was 3 pence and for sixpence you would get a brandy (Cape Smoke).

Thats right , as us JOS`s used to gather there when we ran out of money to go to Delmonicoes, this was on the Stirling Castle circa 1959, regards Bill