Hi to all Mariners

oldmanofthesea68
6th November 2012, 06:58
I worked for Chevron Shipping 1969-1975 (first ship was J.H. MacGarrigill)(Wave) also worked for NOAA 1982- 2001 now retired..any Chevron or NOAA guys around? Also worked for Crowley,Foss, and Washington Tug & Barge.

Pompeyfan
6th November 2012, 08:08
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard oldmanofthesea68.

Gulpers
6th November 2012, 08:22
oldmanofthesea68,

Also on behalf of the SN Moderating Team, thanks for your introduction and a warm welcome aboard.
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and will also get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

R58484956
6th November 2012, 09:52
Greetings omots and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

gdynia
6th November 2012, 10:20
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

linerrich
6th November 2012, 11:53
Greetings and Welcome Aboard!

Rich

billyboy
6th November 2012, 21:33
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

oldman 80
6th November 2012, 23:44
I worked for Chevron Shipping 1969-1975 (first ship was J.H. MacGarrigill)(Wave) also worked for NOAA 1982- 2001 now retired..any Chevron or NOAA guys around? Also worked for Crowley,Foss, and Washington Tug & Barge.

Hi - I worked for Chevron for about 1 year (VLCC's)back in the early 1970's.
Up to then I had been a general cargo ship man, and went to Chevron to cut my teeth into the tanker business. It was a good move I thought for the induction to tankers ops which I got (as 2nd Mate) was in my view 2nd to none.
Chevron sure knew how to run tankers, what design requirements were required, etc. etc. - in my view they were second to none, back in those days at any rate.
An excellent training ground for me - although sort of "thrown in at the deep end" a bit. Well equipped and designed ships I thought.
James E O'Brien & E. Hornsby Wasson - both new ships out of Japanese yards.

sheringham
9th November 2012, 18:39
Hi Oldman 80
Re Chevron Tankships.

I joined the James E O'Brien as 2/O in April 1977 off Capetown by helo late at night.
Induction comprised a few words by the relieved 2/O.
"Welcome, you are on watch at 12" as he stepped aboard the Sikorsky and was whisked away.
Nice vessels with many modern systems and amenities for the time but steaming there and back at half speed around the Cape to Europe or across to the West Coast from the Gulf was mind numbing. All with total officers and crew of 26 so riggers were taken on at arrival at every port or offshore mooring.
Left in Europort never to return to sea.
Prior to that I had enjoyed tankers and the seagoing life but I could see the writing on the wall and sought work ashore.
Also my kids were becoming teenagers so I thought that I had better get to know them before they left home!!!

Ron

oldman 80
13th November 2012, 01:11
I joined James E O'Brien as 2/0 on 23/12/71 in Europort, and left her in Nagasaki on 17th June 1972.
When I left she was just completeing her guarantee docking, at which time she was fitted with an I.G. System. She was not so equipped at the time of her maiden voyage 12 months earlier.
At that time, VLCC's were blowing up with concerning regularity during tank cleaning operations. Static generation from numerous tank cleaning machines washing tanks of greater than 10000 cubic metres capacity was the apparent cause of those many and not infrequent VLCC explosions, prior to the mandatory inclusion of IG systems.
A whole series of Shell VLCC's (M class if my memory serves me correctly) were casualties of those explosions, which left an indellible image in ones mind of those who witnessed one of those vessels after such explosion had occurred. (But they (Shell) weren't the only ones)
Indeed hell holds no fury greater than that of one of those vessels - the victim of such explosion. The main deck opened up and peeled back, like the lid of a sardine tin - folded back over the wheelhouse.(Sad)
The advent of inert gas systems was probably the greatest event ever to occur in maritime history (tanker specific) followed closely by the advent of that process known as crude oil washing.
I was exceedingly fortunate aboard James E' O'Brien as I was the guy (2/O " in training" at "the deep end") who was designated to do the pre guarantee dry dock tank clean, (The C/O stayed right away from it) in conjunction with two very highly qualified and skilled safety officers who flew to the vessel to supervise the pre docking tank clean ( A VLCC with no Inert Gas system yet installed)
We washed using the " too lean " method, using a maximum of two butterworth machines at a time in any one compartment, simultaneously monitoring the LEL levels (Upper, Middle and lower) at twenty minute intervals.
When a tank began to approach the LEL ( 70% if my memory serves me correctly) the washing was stopped and the tank vented until the levels had returned to near zero, at which time washing was recommenced.
Those two safety experts from Chevron Head Office taught me within a period of around ten days, more I think, than the average tanker guy would learn in a lifetime. I was greatly indebted to them then, and am still so indebted to this day.
However like you, the long hauls around the Cape at reduced speed would drive me crazy, so having learned what I needed, I left, and went to a UK ship Management company, and into the place where what I had learned in Chevron could be put to maximum good use.
Obviously that was the OBO, alternating continually from oil to ore or coal - every tank clean was a "dry docking" type tank clean, not just one for clean ballast alone.
Hard working ships, but with the added variety of dry bulk cargo ports, and dry bulk cargoes - not quite as boring as the straight VLCC, or indeed ULCC - both of which had OBO counterparts or Ore/Oil counterparts. There was no such thing as bordom on those ships - we were far to busy for that. However, the " headaches" on the otherhand were enormous, and far too frequent, in fact.
The James E O Brien was a well designed ship, the cargo and ballast systems so well designed it would have been hard to have a pollution incident at all - and that was remarkable in those days. Every overboard (suction or discharge) not only double valve, but immediately inboard of that, was a spectacle blank also. To this day I never saw another ship so well equipped and designed (ballast and Cargo wise) as the James E. O'Brien ( and E. Hornsby Wasson - I seem to recall).
Same on the bridge, everything "State of the Art" - for those times.
Chevron sure knew what was important so far as tankers were concerned. Where money was required - they spent it, but like all others they frowned upon wastage - a good philosophy in my view.
A highly responsible Corporate Citizen was Chevron - in those days at any rate - I thought.
Of course in those times, Chevron was just Chevron - I'm not at all sure what it is now, - a mixed up "cocktail" ?
Well perhaps.
(Ouch)