Haze Question Shooting at Long Range

RHP
26th November 2012, 06:58
Gents,

I shoot from long range with a Canon EOS 550D mainly using an EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens which provides the equivilent of 400mm zoom in the old 36mm film format. I've recently bought a Kenko 1.5 teleconverter which takes the equivilent zoom to 600mm in 36mm format so I really am on the edge of usability however it seems to hold up fairly well before grain becomes an issue - usually at internet gallery quality you don't see it too much but when zooming in to read a vessels name on an Apple MacBook jobby the grain becomes apparent.

I have a question: In Singapore the ships are out in the roads or I take photos direct into the port from a hilltop and the climate (humid, warm and cloudy) creates a lot of haze at distance. For example (taken from a hilltop, probable range 2,000m?): https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/345967/title/nyk-aquarius/cat/all
How can I eradicate or reduce the haze to sharpen up the picture?

Thanks
Richard

hawkey01
26th November 2012, 11:04
RHP,

Just copied yours and put it through Picasa 3 and attached is a copy. Improved greatly I think you will agree. Picasa is easy to use and free download from Google.

Hawkey01

Pat McCardle
26th November 2012, 13:07
RHP,

Just copied yours and put it through Picasa 3 and attached is a copy. Improved greatly I think you will agree. Picasa is easy to use and free download from Google.

Hawkey01

Totally agree Hawkeye, Picasa3 is very good & FREE!(Thumb)

RHP
27th November 2012, 04:44
Many thanks gents, I'll give it a spin.

billyboy
27th November 2012, 05:49
XnView is also free off the net and does the same job. Simple to use and many effects available.

Adrian Walker
7th December 2012, 08:57
You could try using a Haze Filter on your lens and/or a UV filter. There are various types available and I don't have sufficient knowledge to discuss haze filters here. I certain cases a polarising filter can be useful as well. Suggest you look online or go down to your local photographic store & discuss with someone who knows more than I do. These filters are generally inexpensive and simple to use. UV filter is a must for photographers, as well as cutting out UV light it protects the open lens element. If you knew all this then I apologise and will "get me coat!"