Ashanti Palm crew?

Paranoidsam
7th December 2012, 21:30
Hi everyone...

I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who was aboard the Ashanti Palm during the '50s when my grandfather worked in the engine room?

His name was Cliff Atkinson... I was 8 when he died, and so never really got to ask him much about his time at sea.

My interest was sparked after finding his marine engineering books, I never realized he had such knowledge before.

Apart from that I have very little else, no documentation of any kind...

Does anyone by any chance remember him at all?

lakercapt
7th December 2012, 23:04
I was on Ashanti Palm from September 1959 to February 1961 but I don't recall him sorry.
What was his position as during that time she had to have new boilers fitted as the old ones suffered from caustic embrittlement (I don't know what that is but remember it being quoted)

Paranoidsam
7th December 2012, 23:55
I was on Ashanti Palm from September 1959 to February 1961 but I don't recall him sorry.
What was his position as during that time she had to have new boilers fitted as the old ones suffered from caustic embrittlement (I don't know what that is but remember it being quoted)

I'm not sure but I think he might have left in '58... Not a hundred percent sure on that, but I know he married my Nan around that time.

After he worked at Connah's Quay power station, as a mechanical fitter... very hands on, so I'd imagine he was an engineer of some sort... but as for rank/position I'm afraid I don't know.

I do remember him telling me how a big cat of some sort, possibly a panther had got aboard. He went for a shower, and found it there growling... he said he just turned and legged it, but forgot to duck under the bulkhead door... knocked himself clean out.

Don't know what happened to the cat...

According to Wikipedia, caustic embrittlement is caused by a build up of sodium carbonate the water. Inside the boiler it forms sodium hydroxide, which slowly eats away at rivets and joints ect... I suppose it comes to a point where the boiler is no longer safe.