Patrick Moore

LouisB
9th December 2012, 13:31
Sir Patrick Moore of Sky at Night fame has just passed away at the age of 89 years. I remember his programme on the t.v. as far back as I can R.I.P. Patrick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZF4qyOPrcU

LouisB. (Scribe)

Erimus
9th December 2012, 13:36
Thanks for the info..had not picked it up elsewhere......As a keen watcher of the sky in my youth he was almost a god......In London many years ago I sat alongside him on the Tube and he was taking a couple of young children to the Planetarium and his enthusiasm in telling those kids what they would see could be felt by everyone...

RIP

geoff

Dickyboy
9th December 2012, 13:51
A sad loss, I watched him in the early hours of this morning.
I loved his youthfull enthusiasm for astronomy. He will be sadly missed.
RIP Sir Patrick......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20657939

Varley
9th December 2012, 14:48
Indeed. "Across the bar" then not quite appropriate. How about "below the horizon"?

cueball44
9th December 2012, 15:06
Enjoyed watching "Sky At Night". R.I.P Sir Patrick Moore.

Dickyboy
9th December 2012, 15:14
I saw on a TV program a few months ago that he was the only person to have actually met one of the Wright Brothers, the first to fly mechanically, Niel Armstrong, the first on the Moon, and one other person, (Uri Gagarin I think?)

sparkie2182
9th December 2012, 15:25
A great man who brought the cosmos to ordinary people.

R.I.P.

I believe the plan was to have his ashes sent into space.

nick olass
9th December 2012, 16:09
Love him or loath him, the man had immense presence, his ilk are becoming fewer and scarcer. He may just have the odd squint (through his monocle) at us lot from his favourite heavenly speck up in The Sky at Night.

gdynia
9th December 2012, 16:11
A very sad loss

Pompeyfan
9th December 2012, 21:19
Thanks for the info LouisB, have not caught up with the news yet. Certainly a very sad loss. My sympathy to his family and friends. I still have a post card sent from Patrick about a very bright comet I saw when living in New Zealand in 1970. My car had broken down north of Auckland, so slept in it all night waking up to seeing this very bright comet in the eastern morning sky on 30th March 1970. Certainly the brightest I have ever seen before or since. There was nothing in the paper, news not very good in those days, so I wrote to Patrick. He informed me it was Bennett's Comet, the brightest he had ever seen and even brighter in New Zealand. He told me how lucky I was. Wonderful man. RIP Patrick.

9th December 2012, 21:29
A true celebrity. The rest can only look back in awe.

brian3
9th December 2012, 21:49
a guy who knew his subject a true gentleman R.I.P.

Ron Dean
9th December 2012, 22:05
Thanks for the info..had not picked it up elsewhere......As a keen watcher of the sky in my youth he was almost a god......In London many years ago I sat alongside him on the Tube and he was taking a couple of young children to the Planetarium and his enthusiasm in telling those kids what they would see could be felt by everyone...

RIP

geoff

I once attended one of his lectures where he interacted superbly with some very young members of the audience. He really enthused when one young kid told him that he'd identified the Plough & Orion and had actually seen the Orion Nebula.
He was quite happy to well overrun his allotted time until he'd answered all the questions posed to him.

RIP

Ron

rickles23
10th December 2012, 06:56
Sad news indeed. He had an amazing sense of humour. Watership Down by the Goodies for example.
RIP Patrick Moore.
Regards

sparkie2182
10th December 2012, 10:22
He held the rarest of abilities.............to be able to laugh at himself.

It did him a world of good too.

10th December 2012, 10:52
He was knighted in 2001 at the age 78 having advised US and Soviet astronauts, helped put man on the moon, extended the boundaries of science, inspired generations that have turned out to be even smarter than he was. What took them so long? Elton John got his at 51 and didn't he push the boundaries of science for the benefit of the world.

Sir Patrick should have been in the Lords.

LouisB
10th December 2012, 12:33
He was knighted in 2001 at the age 78 having advised US and Soviet astronauts, helped put man on the moon, extended the boundaries of science, inspired generations that have turned out to be even smarter than he was. What took them so long? Elton John got his at 51 and didn't he push the boundaries of science for the benefit of the world.

Sir Patrick should have been in the Lords.

Agree. (Applause)(Applause)(Applause)

LouisB. (Scribe)

King Ratt
10th December 2012, 12:48
I liked Patrick Moore's little ditty from a very long time ago.

" Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are,
And so into the midnight sky,
I, my spectroscope, apply".

King Ratt
10th December 2012, 12:50
I also totally agree with Nav and Louis B. He should have been Lord Moore rather than some of the one armed jugglers and bandy legged fiddlers who inhabit the H of L.

frangio
10th December 2012, 13:17
Sad loss. Part of my childhood watching Sky at Night (when repeated on Saturday afternoons I think) and read his books when I was a boy.

RIP

Dickyboy
10th December 2012, 13:39
Quite a bit of info on wiki..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Moore

cueball44
10th December 2012, 14:45
Sir Patrick Moore would give flash camera men/women an earful if they used them while he was trying to view something.

Binnacle
10th December 2012, 16:59
Patrick Moore lied about his age when he was sixteen and fiddled his medical to get into the RAF, becoming a navigator in Bomber Command. His fiancee was killed during a German air attack. He never forgave the Germans. He said the BBC was now run by women and it shows, soap operas, cooking, quizzes, kitchen sink plays.
RIP.

LouisB
10th December 2012, 21:13
I also totally agree with Nav and Louis B. He should have been Lord Moore rather than some of the one armed jugglers and bandy legged fiddlers who inhabit the H of L.

Nice to see you're alive and kicking Rab - am just about to depart to Rome for the Christmas period - can't stand turkey. ;)

Dave.

LouisB
10th December 2012, 21:33
Patrick Moore lied about his age when he was sixteen and fiddled his medical to get into the RAF, becoming a navigator in Bomber Command. His fiancee was killed during a German air attack. He never forgave the Germans. He said the BBC was now run by women and it shows, soap operas, cooking, quizzes, kitchen sink plays.
RIP.

I very much agree with his views on the BBC. It has metamorphosed into a dumbing down, liberal left, self serving, politically correct organisation who appear to work entirely to their own satisfaction with no apparent person in charge. What is more we are forced to pay for it. Their remit seems at times to be the ability to stir up as much s**t as possible and then congratulate each other for doing it.

Rightly or wrongly I voted for a member of parliament not a BBC journo'. I reckon that Patrick had it about right. (Thumb)

LouisB. (Scribe)

King Ratt
11th December 2012, 12:05
Hi LB

Yes, still here. Ditto on your comments on the BBC.
Buon Natalie e felice Anno Nuovo.

Rab T

Bob Murdoch
11th December 2012, 13:35
Agree with all before. His stargazing with binoculars (if memory serves me right, my neighbour has borrowed it) got me started. A great presence. His comments on the BBC are very true.
Enjoy your revelation on the final big jump, Patrick
Cheers Bob

LouisB
11th December 2012, 17:18
Hi LB

Yes, still here. Ditto on your comments on the BBC.
Buon Natalie e felice Anno Nuovo.

Rab T

And Bliadhna Mhath r to you Rab. All the very best my friend.

LouisB. (Scribe)

Austinsparks
9th July 2013, 13:38

I believe he publicly supported UKIP, which might have been a disadvantage since I doubt they get to nominate anyone (yet).

Austinsparks
9th July 2013, 13:41
I once attended one of his lectures where he interacted superbly with some very young members of the audience. He really enthused when one young kid told him that he'd identified the Plough & Orion and had actually seen the Orion Nebula.
He was quite happy to well overrun his allotted time until he'd answered all the questions posed to him.

RIP

Ron

I got his autograph at one of his lectures when I was about ten. I can still visualise how he wrote it, with a distinctive alpha-like R in the surname; I wish I knew what happened to the autograph book!

Dickyboy
9th July 2013, 15:21
I very much agree with his views on the BBC. It has metamorphosed into a dumbing down, liberal left, self serving, politically correct organisation who appear to work entirely to their own satisfaction with no apparent person in charge. What is more we are forced to pay for it. Their remit seems at times to be the ability to stir up as much s**t as possible and then congratulate each other for doing it.

Rightly or wrongly I voted for a member of parliament not a BBC journo'. I reckon that Patrick had it about right. (Thumb)

LouisB. (Scribe)

I totally agree. The worst examples of dumbing down, in my opinion, are the two Muppets they put on BBC Breakfast. There's a lot of good up to date news, good and bad on there, but why the hell the two presenters have to bounce inane comments to each other all the time I just don't know. The bouncing can go on for ages, about stupid things like pronunciation, whether or not so and so should have a knighthood, spelling and speculation, none of which is news, then to top it all, towards the end of the show they bring up a couple of celeb's whose sole aim is to "Sell" their most recent play, book, film or TV program. ITV does it better, if you want that sort of thing.
Chunter over :)

Scelerat
9th July 2013, 20:18
If he'd stuck to astronomy I'd have respected him a lot more, but him using his celebrity as a opportunity to present his right wing nonsense about women, the Germans etc. rather spoilt his image for me.
He was very good at presenting astronomy in an engaging way; he should have stuck to it.

LouisB
9th July 2013, 20:56
If he'd stuck to astronomy I'd have respected him a lot more, but him using his celebrity as a opportunity to present his right wing nonsense about women, the Germans etc. rather spoilt his image for me.
He was very good at presenting astronomy in an engaging way; he should have stuck to it.

Well, they were his views - the same as the above are your views. You are entitled to yours as he was to his. For all you know, if you had ever had the chance of meeting, you he may have felt that your own views on his performance were nonsense also.

Far better to just simply say that you disagreed with him rather than attempt to rubbish him with what you imagine were his thoughts.

LouisB. (Scribe)

Scelerat
10th July 2013, 08:48
The fact was that he seemed to believe, like many celebrities, that his views on things that weren't his field had some kind of validity because of his status. Just because a person has achieved some level of fame in one area of endeavour doesn't entitle them to pontificate about things that they are not experts in.
As I said, I had, and have, a great deal of respect for him as a popular and accessible astronomer, I'd have a lot more respect for him as a man if he'd stuck to what he was famous for.

sparkie2182
10th July 2013, 10:24
He probably did, but being the UK's foremost eccentric, the media loved to
report his "foibles"

We know just how accurate their work can be.