Unknown Ship

David249
17th December 2012, 10:54
Hi! I am new to this so I hope I do it all correctly. My father was posted to the Pacific theatre of war in 1945. He was stationed on the island of Morotai in the Halmaheras. Among his photographs, there is a small picture of a ship anchored, I believe, off Morotai. Of course, it is unidentified. From its design, I would suspect that it was built in the mid to late 1930s as a cruise ship. I am attaching a copy of the picture and I hope somebody might be able to identify it for me. The photo was probably taken between April and July 1945.
The attachment will be small so if anyone would like a larger image, I could e-mail it directly.
Thanks.

Gulpers
17th December 2012, 13:26
David,

On behalf of the SN Moderators, a warm welcome aboard.
I have no doubt that our members will be able to identify your mystery vessel - in the meantime however, have a good look around and enjoy your time with us on SN. (Thumb)

A.D.FROST
17th December 2012, 13:40
Hi! I am new to this so I hope I do it all correctly. My father was posted to the Pacific theatre of war in 1945. He was stationed on the island of Morotai in the Halmaheras. Among his photographs, there is a small picture of a ship anchored, I believe, off Morotai. Of course, it is unidentified. From its design, I would suspect that it was built in the mid to late 1930s as a cruise ship. I am attaching a copy of the picture and I hope somebody might be able to identify it for me. The photo was probably taken between April and July 1945.
The attachment will be small so if anyone would like a larger image, I could e-mail it directly.
Thanks.

Union-Castle boat.Possibly LLANGIBBY CASTLE
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20L/slides/Llangibby%20Castle-03.html

fred henderson
17th December 2012, 13:47
A warm welcome to SN. The ship in the photo looks like Union Castle's 1929 built Round Africa service liner Llangibby Castle. She was converted into a WW2 troopship, carrying 1,400 men and served in the Pacific and Far East from 1945 to 1947.

I hope that you will fully enjoy the benefits of your membership by joining in the discussions on any topic that you find to be of interest to you.

R58484956
17th December 2012, 15:17
Greetings David and awarm welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Essjay
17th December 2012, 16:46
Union-Castle boat.Possibly LLANGIBBY CASTLE
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20L/slides/Llangibby%20Castle-03.html

Looks Identical!!!

Pompeyfan
17th December 2012, 17:57
Also on behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard David.

David249
17th December 2012, 18:03
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I agree that it does look like the Llangibby Castle. I know my father did not sail in her but if she did arrive at Morotai, which seems likely, then he would have taken the photograph either because of the change from the day-to-day routine or he had heard of the ship's exploits earlier in the war.
Looking at the image, I can see what seems to be radar aerials, standing quite high, towards the stern but there appear to be three of them! Once again - any ideas? It may well be that I am thinking along the wrong line here.
As an aside, would it be of any interest for me to talk about the various ships my father travelled in to and from the Pacific (via the USA)? They included the Nieuw Amsterdam amongst others. Should this be a different thread?
Thanks again.
David.

billyboy
17th December 2012, 21:12
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer