The Two Fathom Fleet

cshortridge73
18th December 2012, 13:38
"NO MAN'S WATER"

Your no doubt wondering....what the heck do you mean by "No-Man's-Water?" Well you see during WW II we had to get men ashore onto these many, many islands....so to do this we had to use Navy vessels with designations beginning "L."

Oh we could and did get the Marines, Army and so forth to these islands...but there was this perilous stretch between the transport area and the beach which could not be transited by these deep draft transports.

This is where the LCI's came into play.....this "No-Man's-Water"....was dreaded and avoided by the "Deep-Water-Men".....but to the men of the beloved "L" craft....a sloping beach was in addition to being a necessary unpleasantness in an invasion....it was a haven of refuge, a garage if you will...a convenient dry dock when the fighting had passed on.

If you've never gave something like this a whole lot of thought.....I would suggest you give this 'short article' a tumble....you'll be in awe of how the skippers of the LCI's got things done......I'd say they had the attitude of "Where there is a will.....there damn sure is a way"

THE TWO FATHOM FLEET (http://navalmerchantshiparticles.blogspot.com/2011/09/two-fathom-fleet.html)

Davesdream
26th January 2013, 17:51
Excellent story behind those LCI's.

Well Done.
Regards

Leratty
27th January 2013, 09:50
cshortridge73, what a great read & loved the last portion. Talk about, 'stick it up em they don't like it stuck up em' loved it would have much appreciated the look on the boards collective faces when told of this (:

Robert Hilton
27th January 2013, 10:15
Thanks for that. My father commanded L.C.I.L's during WW2 and got a medal for actions off the Dalmatian coast. I don't think he had any typhoons to deal with, but it can still blow there. The Tom Sawyer reference is good, though I seem to remember Tom got the other kids to pay for the privilege of painting the fence.

I served my time deep sea, but soon moved to smaller vessels.

Leratty
27th January 2013, 10:43
Robert, I read a book a while ago, well an autobiography of Sterling Hayden the US actor who also was on the Dalmation coast in small boats mostly MGB's. fascinating but it was his time on his beautiful schooner Wanderer that I was into the book for. I was at school with a boy whose father was dropped into Yugoslavia to assist his communist partisans & even as a boy interesting as well as a little scary fellow.
I did not know landing craft had a role there, the Dalmation coast.
You are correct with regard to Tom, he did indeed get his mates to pay, a true budding entrepreneur.

Robert Hilton
27th January 2013, 11:08
Hallo Leratty. My father wasn't only involved with landing craft. He was also put ashore to make sure that a consignment of arms was correctly shared between local partisans and a British Commando unit. He was involved with Combined Ops and used all sorts of craft including Rob Roy canoes and local fishing craft. He died some years ago, so we can't find out if he knew the man you mention.

Leratty
27th January 2013, 12:14
Robert those combined ops guys were seriously brave in that part of the world, more specifically after the war when the Cambridge Ring were passing on the details of their drops etc. Always amazed me that Anthony Blunt was never prosecuted just had his sinecure of Master of the Queens Paintings taken from him + his nebulous knighthood & allowed to live out his life in comfort. That Burgess & McClain were so easily able to get out to Russia smells, forget Philby that was for sure an establishment set up out of Istanbul. The lives Philby cost he should have been hung drawn & quartered! Ah such is life thus history, maybe the truth will, will out in another 50 years? Richard