19c. Fishing smacks, Hull

keidal
20th December 2012, 08:13
Hello,
My sister is researching our grandmother's maiden Hame and it is known that during the nineteenth century family members [ 4 ?] with the surname Hame were smack owners / crew members, sailing from Hull [and possibly Lowestoft / Brixton].
John W Hame might be our great grandfather and from historical records in Hull, I have identified these vessels owned by John W Hame :-- Agnes H82, Confidence H1075, Woodlark H702, Leander H1049, Liberal H768, Londesborough H1206, Maud H682, Paragon H873, Percy Walter H813, Rayner H895, Rose H1066, Tom Bourbine H803.
Presumably these vessels were sailing fishing smacks, with two masts ?
Records also show that Walter Hame was skipper on Young Peter and Magic.
Can anyone give me any information please on the Hame family members connected with fishing from around this period, or hopefully any information on the vessels mentioned ? It is known that at least three Hame males were lost at sea, presumably in the North Sea and probably at the same time.
Thank you.

Gulpers
20th December 2012, 08:31
keidal,

On behalf of the SN Moderating Team, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey.
I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and I am also sure that someone will be able to help with your query in the meantime have a good look around. (Thumb)

R58484956
20th December 2012, 09:27
Greetings keidal and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

gkh151
20th December 2012, 09:35
Keidal,

Welcome to the site. If I where you I would post your query on the fishing vessels section on the forums. That way you will get more responce from the members with knowkedge on trawlers.

Regards.
Graham

Pompeyfan
20th December 2012, 09:50
Also on behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard keidal.

billyboy
21st December 2012, 04:08
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer