Daniel and the Wolf

cshortridge73
3rd January 2013, 23:02
THE CAPTAIN OF A HUNTER-KILLER GROUP RELATES HOW WW II'S GREATEST CAPTURE AT SEA CAME ABOUT.

It was my great good fortune to command the Atlantic Fleet hunter-killer group that captured the German submarine U-505.

This is Vice Admiral Dan V. Gallery telling how his group along with the Guadalcanal (CVE-60) captured and preserved the German Submarine U-505, of which now sets at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.

This is his story in his words: Click HERE (http://navalmerchantshiparticles.blogspot.com/2013/01/daniel-and-wolf.html)

billyboy
3rd January 2013, 23:57
Interesting account Bud. thanks for that

cshortridge73
4th January 2013, 00:04
Oh my goodness.....y'all are very, very welcome

Leratty
4th January 2013, 08:59
cshortridge73 how she actually got to Chicago is a story in itself. I have been aboard U-505 & I found it beyond fascinating how bloody small they were veritable coffin size as was said. The control room reckon max three normal size people at anyone time. Hot bunking, poor ablution facilities, stence terrible food I am sure....): very brave men. Compared to the US subs of that time, have been on one in Pearl Harbour, very uncomfortable. US subs even had, yes true, ice cream! No one seems to credit the US Navy for it amazing submarine war in the Pacific cutting off supplies to Japan so thoroughly, an amazing feat yet little written about unfortunately in the wider public arena. I have a No of books from the US Naval Institute press which tell the story from differing angels most are terrific reads try to get them if you can if interested.
Oh doubt it was WW II'S GREATEST CAPTURE AT SEA as RN captured a U-boat early in war & converted it to a RN sub. U-boat Capt. was murdered in UK prision camp by his associates after some form of kangaroo trial I believe? Richard