New member saying hello to all

ektpuah
6th January 2013, 03:11
Dear all,

I have just joined this forum and like to say hello to you from Singapore.(Wave)

Warmest regards
James Puah 9V1JP

Pompeyfan
6th January 2013, 08:17
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard James.

Gulpers
6th January 2013, 08:42
James,

Yet again, on behalf of the SN Moderators, thanks for your introduction and a warm welcome aboard.
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and will also get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

Andy
6th January 2013, 09:32
Hi James, welcome aboard, and hope you enjoy the site.
9V's aren't too common on HF, but always very popular when we can hear you guys in Europe. I have had many qso's with SV Siva over the last couple of years, and sometimes PC, QQ, RM and YC (big contest operator)

Looking at your qrz page, have you replaced the FT817 with the KX3? My friend has just bought the KX3, an absolutely amazing device.

Andy
M0TTB

ektpuah
6th January 2013, 10:32
Hi.David, Ray and Andy,

I appreciate your welcoming message which makes me feel at home inthis forum.

I used to work for Radio Holland B.V. in Singapore and came across many Sailor Radio and other makes such as Thrane.& Thrane, Sperry, JRC, Scientific Radio, etc MF HF and VHF radio sets at the marine department service centre. Being a.HAM myself, I have a strong interest in marine radios especially those made in the late eighties Sailor Programe 1000. Although Satellite communication is a more reliable channel, I have great respect for conventional HF SSB radios on board ships. The golden era of HF coaststation was a romantic one, as I could recall 'warm blooded' female coaststation operators voice from the HF receivers (==D)(Bounce). Imagine the positive effect of that voice to the lonely ROs onboard the ships [=P].

Andy,

I ordered the KX3 when it first came out but cancelled my order due to travelling and before mine was due to ship. I plan to order it withing this 1-2 years after I finish assembling the JUMA TRX2A all band transceiver and PA100D linear.

Currently my main base station is an Icom IC756Pro3 and my portables are the IC703 and the FT817ND. I am trying to put my Yaesu FL110/FR110 twin, Drake 2NT/2B/2BQ, and Hallicrafters HT37/Siemens E311 with triple diversity antenna unit and FSK demodulator on air. Always wanted a.Sailor Radio R1120 receiver for old time sake but luck is not.on my side. Also looking for a Siemens E350 Longwave adaptor but again luck is not on my side. Currently I am restoring a British Army R209mk2 receiver and still looking for the original headphones, crash limiter and power connector. The next boat anchor on my restoration list will be the Hallicrafters SX 28, the WJ 8770-1 receiver and to repair my WJ 8718A-9 receiver which fail to retain the most significant digit frequency in memory after switching off for more than 2-3 seconds.

This forum is like a time tunnel or Dr Who's police phone booth to me. It enables me to travel back in time. I missed those wonder years in the 70's and 80's, but this forum helps me re-live those years. Longlive shipsnostalgia (Applause)

Hope to catch up with you on air Andy. Me favourite band.is 20m band. I will likely be.experimenting RTTY and JT65 besides SSB phone or CW once I complete the NUEPSK modem.

James Puah 9V1JP

Andy
6th January 2013, 11:25

Andy,

I ordered the KX3 when it first came out but cancelled my order due to travelling and before mine was due to ship. I plan to order it withing this 1-2 years after I finish assembling the JUMA TRX2A all band transceiver and PA100D linear.

Currently my main base station is an Icom IC756Pro3 and my portables are the IC703 and the FT817ND. I am trying to put my Yaesu FL110/FR110 twin, Drake 2NT/2B/2BQ, and Hallicrafters HT37/Siemens E311 with triple diversity antenna unit and FSK demodulator on air. Always wanted a.Sailor Radio R1120 receiver for old time sake but luck is not.on my side. Also looking for a Siemens E350 Longwave adaptor but again luck is not on my side. Currently I am restoring a British Army R209mk2 receiver and still looking for the original headphones, crash limiter and power connector. The next boat anchor on my restoration list will be the Hallicrafters SX 28, the WJ 8770-1 receiver and to repair my WJ 8718A-9 receiver which fail to retain the most significant digit frequency in memory after switching off for more than 2-3 seconds.

This forum is like a time tunnel or Dr Who's police phone booth to me. It enables me to travel back in time. I missed those wonder years in the 70's and 80's, but this forum helps me re-live those years. Longlive shipsnostalgia (Applause)

Hope to catch up with you on air Andy. Me favourite band.is 20m band. I will likely be.experimenting RTTY and JT65 besides SSB phone or CW once I complete the NUEPSK modem.

James Puah 9V1JP

Hi James,
You'll love the little KX3... although once you buy an Elecraft, it's akin to joining a religion (*)) The little KPA500 amp is a very nice addition as well, if you need a bit of qro from time to time.

If I'm on 20m, it's a bad day ...but with cycle 24, there's been too many bad days :( Although this week things should perk up on the higher bands, sfi at half sensible #, no cme's, plenty of spots on the sun...even if they are small and boring.

As admin, i spend all day looking at text on a screen ... so it's nice to get away from that on the radio.

Andy

R58484956
6th January 2013, 14:20
Greetings James and welcome to SN. You must feel at home already. on voyage.

ektpuah
6th January 2013, 14:27
Greetings James and welcome to SN. You must feel at home already. Bon voyage.

Yes sir, this is Home.(A)

Best regards
James Puah 9V1JP

ektpuah
6th January 2013, 14:32
Hi James,
You'll love the little KX3... although once you buy an Elecraft, it's akin to joining a religion (*)) The little KPA500 amp is a very nice addition as well, if you need a bit of qro from time to time.

If I'm on 20m, it's a bad day ...but with cycle 24, there's been too many bad days :( Although this week things should perk up on the higher bands, sfi at half sensible #, no cme's, plenty of spots on the sun...even if they are small and boring.

As admin, i spend all day looking at text on a screen ... so it's nice to get away from that on the radio.

Andy

Yes Andy, I do like the KX3 a lot. Currently the unbuilt JUMA TRX 2A is standing in the way between the KX3 and myself. And then there is this nice 9 band analog tranceiver kit fro the German QRP club with banks of analog filters, etc...... (Cloud). But I must say I must have the KX3 within this 1-2 years unless there is another more innovative HF jewel in the market (EEK).

To get away from routine work and family life, I like to spend time in my study room with my radios. Its like the radio room onboard the ship. When the study room door is shut with the XYL and Harmonics shut out, its like sailing away to no man's when you cruise the band. I am trying to setup a tubed boat anchor corner and a modern radio corner to help me re-live the different golden era, much the same.way as Christopher Reeve trying to go back in time to meet his lover Jane Seymour in the show somewhere in time.

James Puah 9V1JP

billyboy
6th January 2013, 21:21
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

ektpuah
6th January 2013, 23:35
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

Thank you sir, I am enjoying every moment of it.(Smoke)

Best regards
James Puah 9V1JP