British & Commonwealth Web Site

Chris Isaac
10th January 2013, 09:59
Last year I took over the running of the Union Castle Staff Register web site:
http://www.unioncastlestaffregister.co.uk/index.html

I am now in the process of rebuilding and relaunching this site using modern web design technology.

The new site will encompass all the companies that traded within the British and Commonwealth Group:
These include:
Union Castle
Clan Line
Scottish Tankers
Scottish Shire Line
King Line
Bullard King (Natal Line)
Bowaters
South American Saint Line
Castle Line
Union Line
Hector Whaling

I want to include as many people as possible who at some time sailed on any of the ships in the group and in any capacity (I include passengers) also anyone who worked in a shore based capacity.

If you have any recollections, stories, personal history, photographs then I would love to here from you via PM. Even if you never sailed on the ships but have recollections involving the ships of the group.

Please PM me your personal email address and I will send you a template of the information I would like.

I hope to launch the site in the next six months. The build is well underway.

I look forward to hearing from many of you.

Kind regards
Chris

gdynia
10th January 2013, 14:19
Wish you luck Chris nice to see more nostalgia

Chris Isaac
23rd April 2013, 08:26
The new site, due to replace Union Castle Staff register is now on-line.
Visit at: www.bandcstaffregister.co.uk

If any of you have sailed at any time on B&C ships and wish to have your details included then please email me via the site.
The ambition of the site is to provide our children and grand children and great grand children with a personal reference of what we did all those years ago.

jmcg
19th May 2013, 14:28

If any of you have sailed at any time on B&C ships and wish to have your details included then please email me via the site.
The ambition of the site is to provide our children and grand children and great grand children with a personal reference of what we did all those years ago.

Well done Chris. Clearly , you have expended an immense amount of time in creating and populating these records. There appears to be a void in certainn records i.e. UC crew lists from September 1973 to August 1974. This is unfortunate.

BW

J (Gleam)(Gleam)

waiwera
19th May 2013, 14:49
Congratulations Chris on a job well done! Certainly wish Shaw Savill Line or the Furness Group of Companies had a similar facility. Your colleagues are very fortunate to benefit from all your hard work. Some great video features too - great nostalgia!

Rod F
12th June 2013, 04:03
I sailed on the Rustenburg Castle, Rowallan, Reina del Mar, Hector Heron, Clan MacLean, Mackyntre, Graham, Grant and more from '63 to 73 and finally got my Chiefs ticket in 74. Did quite a few 'double-headers' and I still make chapatis the way a street trader showed me in Madras !

Rod F
12th June 2013, 04:07
Congratulations Chris on a job well done! Certainly wish Shaw Savill Line or the Furness Group of Companies had a similar facility. Your colleagues are very fortunate to benefit from all your hard work. Some great video features too - great nostalgia!

Great work Chris, I remember you as a Deck Cadet, I think on the Clan Malcolm along with Mcutcheon.

Chris Isaac
12th June 2013, 06:51
Hi Rod
I was never on Clan Malcolm but I did do one trip as a cadet on Clan Grant at the end of 65. Alec MacCutcheon was third officer.

And thanks for the good comments. The site is being updated most nights with new personal details.
Yesterday I uploaded a page "A Voyage Round Africa" a guide to the voyage of the UC Intermediates: http://www.bandcstaffregister.co.uk/page1864.html

kilo whisky
14th October 2013, 12:51
Chris,
I was in Clan Macintyre (2 trips India & S.Africa) Kenilworth Castle (S.Africa + Clan charter to Ceylon/India- we over carried a few thousand tons
of HM Forces beer for Aden...crew managed to get into this big time...problems
Perthshire/Kenilworth again..Clan Macleod/Farquarson.Maiden & 2nd voyages
Clan Finlay...remember quite a few names etc.Rgds Ken Woodside

mariner1945
18th November 2014, 17:57
Hi Chris,

You are doing a great job with the website.

I too worked for B&C - from 1970-1971 and 1974 - 1976. Worked on the Riebeck Castle, Clan Malcolm, a couple of the Clan M's, King James and King George as an engineer (4/E - 2/E). Emigrated to Canada in 1976.

Cheers.

mariner1945
18th November 2014, 18:00
Ooops - I forgot to include the Clan Ranald too. Getting old doesn't help either.
Cheers

FrankGil
18th November 2014, 19:29

Hi Chriss
I sailed as Lecky on the ClanMaclaren 67,King Charles,King Arthur,Tintagel Castle,Clan Maciver,Clan Macnab,Argyllshire,Clan Menzies,Clan Ross,Gladys Bowater and Nicolas Bowater.I had some good times round South Africa and met some characters,I suppose I might have been one,
Regards Frank Gil.

japottinger
10th January 2015, 19:10
Congrats. on your hard work.
Joined Bullard King TSS Umgeni at West India Dock on 22/12/1957 having been transferred from Clan Line as my preferred choice. On Clan Macinnes and Clan Urquhart at Glasgow as first ship on joining MN as engineer on completion of eng. app. with Scotts' of Greenock. This was at the time of link up with Union Castle and it was evident that Bullard King was a poor relation and recruitment of Eng. Officers was a real problem.
A rude awakening it was too, shore watchmen and an electrician took a watch around the coast, one engineer joined at W.I. dock but did a midnight flit after seeing what was in store and was missing in the morning. Chief Eng. was 'enry 'all from 'Ull, and had the pleasure of meeting up with him later when he was on a Clan ship in Clacutta, the customs had closed their bond so he was only too grateful for a few beers.
Only passengers, Chief Eng. and all deck officers allowed in the dining saloon, we had a grotty combined mess room *** dayroom aft, some of the engineer cabins were on the Bibby tandem system with two small cabins squeezed between another two which had a long narrow alleyway to a porthole.
Pass a veil over the engine room, declined to return next voyage, in any event we heard before arrival back to London that with sister Umtali had been sold to Elder Dempster. Joined Brocklebank who was a revelation.