Hello from Australia

sparksghgs
18th January 2013, 23:18
I have just joined up now that I am winding down to retirement. Although known now as John I was Jack in my days as an r/o with Alfred Holt's in the 1960's.

After the Glasgow Wireless College My first ship was the Monmouthshire (GHGS) and the chief r/o was Yangto Morgan who was both a wonderful character and a great supportive boss. Those of you who are r/o's probably have never forgotten the sheer terror calling up Portishead Radio for the first time. He made that first live contact a success and sent me on my way. I have been talking about the craft of leadership using Yangto as a model for years. (If anyone knows of him please contact me)

I did a lot of coasting on various Blue Funnel and Glen Line ships between deep sea voyages which I enjoyed for the variety of ships, regular trips up to Glasgow and of course the many characters. My ultimate deep sea voyage was on the MV Tantalus on the 'round the world service' which left Liverpool for Houston on ballast in November and after facing hurricane conditions then to New York to New York via almost everywhere. Not everyone can say they circumnavigated the earth before their 20th birthday.

I emigrated to Canada gaining eventually gaining entrance to the University of Calgary as a mature student and after a career in teaching, graduate work at Sussex university and 30 years as an organizational psychology consultant specializing in policing and regulatory agencies including maritime.

I am now a 70 year old PhD scholar at Macquarie University in Sydney. None of that would have eventuated if I had not learned the many lessons of responsibility in the professional disciplined and supportive organizational culture of the Blue Funnel Line.

John (Jack) Walker

Sister Eleff
19th January 2013, 00:12
Welcome to the site sparksghgs; and the affliction that is SN, beware it can become an adiction (Jester)

We are just up the road from you on the Hawksbury.

billyboy
19th January 2013, 00:19
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer.
Bit on the warm side where you are I guess.

Pompeyfan
19th January 2013, 08:18
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard John.

R58484956
19th January 2013, 08:50
Greetings John and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

hawkey01
19th January 2013, 10:49
Sparksghgs,

welcome to SN. Come along to the Radio Room lots of ex RO's there and maybe some old friends/colleagues.

Hawkey01

Gulpers
19th January 2013, 16:39
John,

Also on behalf of the SN Moderators, thanks for your introduction and a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey.
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)