Hello, from ex Riversdale Tech, R.F.A.Engineer Cadet

johnboy55
19th January 2013, 16:07
Hi ,
Just joined the site , found some interesting threads already . .
I was an Engineer Cadet with the R.F.A. Went to Riversdale Tech. in Liverpool '71-73 then back for phase 3 in September 74-July 75 .

Like others I spent the first year as a 16yr old in Kinsman House, second year at home as my family lived around the corner ! Phase 3 shared a house off Smithdown Road, near the Brook House pub . Some people have talked about the Kingsman pub and the Aigburth Arms (down near Aigburth Vale). . .we used these but also had a lengthy period of time frequenting 'The Dealers Arms' in Garston, which was a bit rough but very welcoming !

Lots of great memories, from the college days including the football team , frequent trips to Lawson Park in the Lakes for climbing, walking and local hostelries . Saturday night in the 'Salutation' in Ambleside if we could get one of the tutors to take out the minibus , otherwise a long walk through the forest down into Coniston.

Yes, sad that the college is now a housing estate, 2003 I think it went. My father taught on the Marine Engineering side, from about '63 to 83 when he retired . ( Bernie Rodgers ) It was he who persuaded me to switch from the Deck Cadet side to Engineering a month before the college terms started . It wasn't a great move for me ( with hindsight etc , I stuggled with claustrophobia and the E.R environment not good for me !)

Trips away as a Cadet were on the MV 'Retainer' (ex China Nav S/S Co. 'Chungking' and then a long and memorable trip on MV'Derwentdale' ( on charter from Court Line ex 'Halcyon Breeze ')That was the trip when there was a boiler fire when alongside in Singapore which resulted in a very long stopover and refit, though the cadets were flown home after 6 weeks for the re-start of college (phase 3)

Post Phase 3 i completed some short trips on Tideflow, Regent, Sir Geraint and finally Green Rover .

I was pretty unsettled at the time and left the R.F.A and joined T&J Harrisons and did a couple of UK/West Indies trips in '77 on the MV 'Statesman'.

Left the sea after that , and have missed it on many an occasion , but was in the wrong branch .

Gulpers
19th January 2013, 16:34
John,

On behalf of the SN Moderators, thanks for your introduction and a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey.
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

andysk
19th January 2013, 21:17
Welcome aboard John, I'm sure you will spend (not waste !) many a happy hour here on SN with other like minded souls.
Cheers
Andy (the other one)

Pompeyfan
19th January 2013, 21:31
Also on behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard John.

Billhobbs
20th January 2013, 09:27
John - I was at Aulis in Riversdale various times between 70 and 73 and remember well the Dealers Arms. It was where I met my first wife. I think the landlord was an ex Blue Funnel bosun and Xmas 72 he let us cadets use the back room at the pub for a party and we invited some young ladies from IM Marsh and Calderstones College. I picked the one who had a car and the rest as they say was history.
Bill

johnboy55
20th January 2013, 10:01
Thanks Bill,
The landlord was definately ex-seagoing, He was called Wally and blonde-haired wife was Sheena .And they had a buxom wench of a daughter ! They seemed to like our crowd going in there, mind you we must have spent a lot across the bar . I had my 18th in there and I remember Wally pulling my leg as we'd been going in for 18months by then !
Yes, I.M Marsh and Calderstones . I had a couple of girlfriends in both camps ( not at the same time, of course !) A number of my cadet group in Phase 3 married their Calderstone's girls !

King Ratt
20th January 2013, 10:09
Hello Johnboy55. You will enjoy this site. Lots of RFA past and present on here.

Regards

Rab T

R58484956
20th January 2013, 10:50
Greetings John and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.