SS Columbia Victory

TIMDESMOND
30th January 2013, 17:20
I was oiler on Columbia Victory in 1965 trip to the Med. from US Gulf. I think she was orig. PORTLAND VICTORY, but I can't find info or photo

A.D.FROST
30th January 2013, 17:28
I was oiler on Columbia Victory in 1965 trip to the Med. from US Gulf. I think she was orig. PORTLAND VICTORY, but I can't find info or photo

Bt1945 PRAT VICTORY,61 PORTLAND VICTORY,65COLUMBIA VICTORY,69 COLUMBIA TRADER,10.12.71 b/u Kaohsiung.

Pompeyfan
30th January 2013, 18:12
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Timdesmond.

Gulpers
30th January 2013, 18:56
TIMDESMOND,

Also on behalf of the SN Moderators, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey.
I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and I hope that someone will be able to help with your query in the meantime have a good look around. (Thumb)

billyboy
30th January 2013, 21:17
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer.

R58484956
31st January 2013, 08:49
Greetings Tim and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Wallace Slough
31st January 2013, 15:51
Greetings Tim. I sailed on a number of Columbia Steam's ships from 1969 to 1971 including the Columbia Rose, Columbis Beaver, Columbia Fox, Columbia Owl, and Columbia Mariner. They were a small company that cropped up during the Vietnam War. While your ship was a Victory of which they had a couple as I recall, all the ships I sailed on were C-2's. As I recall, they had plans to build some bulk carriers after the war, but the plans never materialized.

TIMDESMOND
28th March 2013, 15:05
Thanks for the info...I had heard the Columbia Victory had been torpedoed, but recently found it was as the Pratt Victory a month before the war ended. One thing that confused me was the brass plate with the name Portland Victory.
This is from an article about ships being used to find mines in Tokyo bay:
"The Pratt Victory likewise was torpedoed - on the starboard side in No. 2 hold about a month before the war ended. The hole was partially closed by a metal plate that extended down to the water line, but below that the hold was open to the sea. She could not steam at full speed because the sea pouring into the open hold would create a dangerous pressure on the bulkhead that separates it from the next hold."
Would still like to find pic of Pratt Victory, Portland Victory, Columbia Victory, or Columbia Trader.

TIMDESMOND
29th March 2013, 17:51
I found a picture of the Columbia Trader, probably 2-5 years after I sailed on her as the Columbia Victory!

TIMDESMOND
29th March 2013, 17:56
Your info abt the history of the Columbia Victory was invaluable. I was able to find a pic of her as the Columbia Trader. May I ask how you obtained all that?

A.D.FROST
29th March 2013, 18:24
Your info abt the history of the Columbia Victory was invaluable. I was able to find a pic of her as the Columbia Trader. May I ask how you obtained all that?
I have a book and Disc of Victory Ships & T2's

Courtneys5
13th February 2014, 02:28
Hi Tim, I sailed as 3rd mate on the Columbia Trader from October 1970 until February 1971. Walt Happala (spelling?) skippered the first voyage, a full load of ammo for Nam; and Homer Ligon skippered the 2nd voyage, a full load of bulk grain for E Pakistan. Vern Hayes was Chief Engineer. She was a good ship and a good crew. I always wondered what happened to her.

tunatownshipwreck
13th February 2014, 05:04
Which one got hijacked to Cambodia?

Wallace Slough
13th February 2014, 05:59
Hi Eric. That was the Columbia Eagle that was hijacked:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Columbia_Eagle_incident