Greetings from Falkirk

nauticalgeordie
31st January 2013, 09:47
Just signed up after reading Below the Waterline by David Carpenter. Unusual to read of a life at sea by one of the engineering fraternity but can thoroughly recommend it to all disciplines. It certainly gave me a lot of laughs, especially the mention of the Blue Flame Competition! The circles I moved in weren't quite so polite. Look forward to hearing from anyone in the shipping companies during the periods mentioned.

Pompeyfan
31st January 2013, 09:56
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard nauticalgeordie.

James_C
31st January 2013, 10:12
nauticalgeordie,
A warm welcome to SN!
I see from your profile you were at Grangemouth as AHM for a few years, I presume you were there with Dougie Brown et al?
My Father and Grandfather were both Boatmen in Grangemouth, as was I for a couple of summers before heading to sea with BP. Spent most of my time in the deepsea fleet, but did the occasional stint on the Border boats from time to time with Bob Rait, Nigel Easton, Pete Faulkener, Chris Ford etc.

nauticalgeordie
31st January 2013, 13:26
nauticalgeordie,
A warm welcome to SN!
I see from your profile you were at Grangemouth as AHM for a few years, I presume you were there with Dougie Brown et al?
My Father and Grandfather were both Boatmen in Grangemouth, as was I for a couple of summers before heading to sea with BP. Spent most of my time in the deepsea fleet, but did the occasional stint on the Border boats from time to time with Bob Rait, Nigel Easton, Pete Faulkener, Chris Ford etc.

Hi James,
Yes I was there in the Dougie Brown era. I recall the names of all you quote. Pity about what happened to Dougie so soon after his retirement.

john fraser
31st January 2013, 19:59
nauticalgeordie,
A warm welcome to SN!

James.
Do you know anything about Bob Rait these days.He was a deck boy with me around 1966.

Gulpers
31st January 2013, 20:36
nauticalgeordie,

Also on behalf of the SN Moderating Team, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey!
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

billyboy
31st January 2013, 22:48
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

Coastie
31st January 2013, 23:56
Another warm welcome from the sunny Isle of Anglesey nauticalgeordie.

You don't happen to live anywhere near the Falkirk wheel made famous by Karen Dunbar by any chance, do you?(Jester)

R58484956
1st February 2013, 09:10
Greetings NG and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

robert the bruce
1st February 2013, 21:55
Welcome to SN. Noted Falkirk which is in the region of Kincardine. Was a fitter at Kincardine Power Station for a short while, before joining MN. Is the power station still there, thinking about coming North to visit old places and look around. Thank you.
Rob

nauticalgeordie
1st February 2013, 22:45
Welcome to SN. Noted Falkirk which is in the region of Kincardine. Was a fitter at Kincardine Power Station for a short while, before joining MN. Is the power station still there, thinking about coming North to visit old places and look around. Thank you.
Rob

Hi Rob,
The Kincardine Power Station no longer exists. I witnessed its 'blowing up' whilst on day shift at Grangemouth Locks control room. This would have been pre-2003 when we centralised into a new building adjacent the old, although not too long before that year. The Longannet Power Staion remains directly across the river from the entrance to Grangemouth, although direct supply of coal from the Longannet coal mine has long ceased. All coal is imported, the majority by rail from Hunterston by means of the line between Stirling and Alloa which was re-opened in 2008. If you are intending to come up for old times sake the Falkirk Wheel is a must to visit.
Terry

robert the bruce
2nd February 2013, 21:28
Thank you very much Terry for the information. My god things have changed there then. They were just building Longannet when I was in that area. Yes I do know about the Falkirk Wheel, and intend to visit it. Terry, there are many times that I wish I was back there in Kincardine, the best times of my life. It was just a blurr, Alloa ales to blame.
Rob