Introduction

3mtony
8th February 2013, 12:45
Hi, I'm Tony Talbot trying to make contact with anyone who might have sailed with me. I served my apprenticeship with Prince Line from 1959 - 1962 sailing on Welsh Prince,Maltese Prince,Gallic(Cingalese Prince) and Stuart Prince.Joined Mobil in 1962-65 as 3rd Mate sailing on Mobil Enterprise,Mobil Progress and Mobil Acme.After a period ashore from 65-70 joined Shell Tankers as 3rd Mate from 70-75. Joined Manchester Liners from 75-80 and finally Overseas Containers from 81- 98 retiring as Captain. I'd love to hear from anyone who sailed on those ships during those years.

R58484956
8th February 2013, 14:48
Greetings 3mtony and and on behalf of all the moderating team a warm welcome to SN . Bon voyage

gdynia
8th February 2013, 15:01
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

billyboy
8th February 2013, 22:14
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

Seaford Jim
9th February 2013, 12:04
G'day Bill, Jim here, just had to reregister as Seaford Jim to get back on S/n
It's all changed since I was last herem still feeling my way around. Chat soon

doxfordsix
9th February 2013, 13:03
Hi Tony. I did 2 trips in Maltese Prince in 1961 as 3/Eng.A memorable ship for the wrong reasons! Broken rudder pintle,refrig gas shortage,lub oil shortage, 4/E carried ashore in Malta, resulting in 2/E and me doing six on six off for most of the trip! If you were on board you were one of the sane ones¬!

Flixtonian
9th February 2013, 15:48
Hi Tony, I remember you from Manchester Liners. If my memory is correct, you were 2nd Mate on the Asian Renown in 1977 where I was an apprentice. Then we sailed together again on the Marseille/Manchester Venture in 1980, where it was my last trip as apprentice, before laying up in the River Fal. You were Chief Officer, and I did the 4-8 watch for you in the morning so you could have a lie in!!
We may also have known a certain young Japanese lady from Kobe?

All the best, Steve Frankland.

Gulpers
10th February 2013, 06:40
Tony,

On behalf of the SN Moderating Team, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey!
You seem to be settling in nicely so, enjoy your time on SN and have many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

3mtony
10th February 2013, 13:18
Hi Tony. I did 2 trips in Maltese Prince in 1961 as 3/Eng.A memorable ship for the wrong reasons! Broken rudder pintle,refrig gas shortage,lub oil shortage, 4/E carried ashore in Malta, resulting in 2/E and me doing six on six off for most of the trip! If you were on board you were one of the sane ones¬!
Hi Doxfordsix, Amazing still somebody around from those "heady" days. Do you remember anyone else from that ship? I recall Andy Moffatt -Deck cadet and Capt.Uden, and grizzled Bosun McDonald.Sorry you had strife with Engine- but you guys loved it really!! Tony Talbot

3mtony
10th February 2013, 13:30
Hi Tony, I remember you from Manchester Liners. If my memory is correct, you were 2nd Mate on the Asian Renown in 1977 where I was an apprentice. Then we sailed together again on the Marseille/Manchester Venture in 1980, where it was my last trip as apprentice, before laying up in the River Fal. You were Chief Officer, and I did the 4-8 watch for you in the morning so you could have a lie in!!
We may also have known a certain young Japanese lady from Kobe?

All the best, Steve Frankland.
Hi Steve,Great to hear from you -what are you up to these days. I loved that run down through the Indonesian seas to Oz. I do remember having some excellent drinking sessions after watch(am) where one of the Engineers(short guy with glasses)introduced me to "Led Zepperlin".Happy days. And yes I do remember the Japanese girl (Tsuko) who I nearly married!Sorry about the watch you had to do. I must have been ill or something!! Love to hear from you. Tony

Big Jim
10th February 2013, 13:39
Hi Tony, I did one trip on the Gallic 1960 - 61 as Junior Engineer. I dont remember many names but I do remember there was a deck apprentice called Tony so I'm sure it must have been you. It's nice to see someone I knew on this site. Hope you are well. At that time there was a 4e. called "Rev" Revely, I think his first name wass Bill, also another junior whom I was friendly with whose name I have forgotton but was nicknamed "Jock".

Jim (Cameron)

3mtony
10th February 2013, 14:10
Hi Jim, Great to hear from you.That was a mad ship but I really enjoyed it and all on board.I remember "Rev" who liked to throw beer bottles into the alleyway from his room(he hit me once!).I can't remember names either but I do remember that the Capt.,Chief Off and Carpenter were gay and a whole busload of us got a night in jail in Panama after a rather boozy run up the road. And the parties in Kiwi with the local nurses.I fell madly in love with one who looked like Elizabeth Taylor!! Happy days - do you have any stories of your trip? Good site isn't it.Look forward to hearing from you.Tony

Big Jim
10th February 2013, 14:35
Hi Tony,
Realy great that you remember those times. Yes, you're right, Rev was crazy when drunk. I was luckier than you, he missed me by a hair.
I'm about to try and upload a couple of photos from the Gallic and you may remember the faces. I've had to resize them so they are quite small but I may upload them to my gallery some time. One shows from l to r, 2/E, "Jock McSprock" and me. Second is Jock, 4th Mate lying flat, and another apprentice, can't remember which dept he wa s in. I think 4th mate was McDonald and I believe he said his mother was Burmese, however I may well be totally wrong.

3mtony
10th February 2013, 14:54
Hi Jim, Thanks for photos - yes I do remember 4th Mate Mcdonald and yes he was Burmese - the others I sought of remember - I do remember a stupid saying just before we went ashore somewhere- "taxi you bugger" -this was said to one of the Engineer cadets?! Perhaps you remember or is this the ramblings of an old man! Funny what you do remember!! Sorry I haven't any photos on ship but I'll try and dig out when I was younger.

doxfordsix
10th February 2013, 15:11
Hi Tony. Ref Maltese, names escape me after 50+ yrs but if we sailed together you will remember flooding the forepeak and No1 hold in Haifa to raise the broken rudder pintle out the water.Master ,C/O and C/Eng told me I was seeing things when I reported the rudder quadrant was oscillating on pre sailing steering gear check in Famagusta!

Big Jim
10th February 2013, 15:22
Glad you like the photos Tony. I dont remember the saying "taxi you bugger", but then I only did one trip with you so my memories are vague to say the least. My overbearing memory is of a main engine breakdown and I think we had to be towed in to Curacao.
I remember that Rev had a girlfriend in Aukland whose name was Ailsa Craig. If I were to she was a big girl would be an understatement.
I have a few more photos from that time and I will perhaps post them some time, who knows you may well see yourself. A couple were taken at New Year inthe small saloon at the end of the Engineers alleyway and some of the passangers are there with some engine and deck lads. The quality is poor but they may be of interest. When I post them I wiil send you a Personal Message to let you know.
I'm going to have to sing off now Tony as there some things I have to attend to, however I'm sure we will be in touch through this web site soon.
Regards
Jim

Flixtonian
11th February 2013, 15:16
Hi Steve,Great to hear from you -what are you up to these days. I loved that run down through the Indonesian seas to Oz. I do remember having some excellent drinking sessions after watch(am) where one of the Engineers(short guy with glasses)introduced me to "Led Zepperlin".Happy days. And yes I do remember the Japanese girl (Tsuko) who I nearly married!Sorry about the watch you had to do. I must have been ill or something!! Love to hear from you. Tony

Hi Tony, yes that run on the Asian Renown down to Oz was indeed great, in fact I would say it was the best trip I did at sea in over 20 years! I remember the 3rd Eng with glasses, Frank ?, not sure he was a Led Zep guy, although Kevin Highfield who was senior cadet was, and he introduced them to me, while I introduced him to KC and the Sunshine Band!
Sadly I had to retire in 1996 due to medical reasons, but at least I can keep in touch with shipmates from the past via sites like this.
Regards, Steve

3mtony
12th February 2013, 11:38
Hi Steve, Yes it was a good run. Where do you live these days. I'm in Aylesbury,Bucks -anywhere near? If you can think of any names on that ship or any interesting events I love to hear from you. Were you on other Manchester Liners ships? I was on Cargo Vigour and Zeal.Manvchester Crusade?(I think) and Frontier. Very enjoyable 5 years - good company! Speak soon,Tony

3mtony
12th February 2013, 11:46
REf.Maltese, I can't honestly remember flooding for'd to raise the stern but I have flooded a deep tank on one ship I was on-don't remember which. But of course I was only a lowly deck cadet not aware of important techinal events - more interested in going ashore and keeping out of the way of the bosun!!.Brilliant to hear from somebody from so long ago.Speak soon.Tony

Flixtonian
13th February 2013, 15:04
Hi Steve, Yes it was a good run. Where do you live these days. I'm in Aylesbury,Bucks -anywhere near? If you can think of any names on that ship or any interesting events I love to hear from you. Were you on other Manchester Liners ships? I was on Cargo Vigour and Zeal.Manvchester Crusade?(I think) and Frontier. Very enjoyable 5 years - good company! Speak soon,Tony

Hi Tony, I sailed on most of the Liners, and am still living in Flixton, Manchester. Some of the names I remember from the Asian Renown, Frank Shepherd was Old Man, relieved by John Rushworth, Ian Buckley 3/0, George Porter and his wife Daphne 4/E, Jeff Bridges? C/E, John Fagan 2/E, Wally Porter C/O, Tommy Patience C/Cook, Brian ? C/Steward. Dave Hazon 2/E.
There is an old shipmates association which I join for £8 a year. This is their website http://www.manchesterliners.co.uk/chart.htm
Perhaps you may recognise some names/faces on there.
Regards, Steve

3mtony
14th February 2013, 11:47
Hi Steve,Thanks for that - I remember just about all of those people - your memory is a lot better than mine though - Tommy Patience! Now theres a name to conjure with -what a character and a rogue! And John Rushworth -Smashing bloke. Is he still around? I've had a look at the website(ML) and will perhaps delve further later.Didn't immediately recognise any faces on the reunion pages. If you do speak to any that might remember me give them my regards. There a bloke from the accounts office called Peter........?that came on board in the canal to pay us off (Man.City supporter).Do you know anything about his whereabouts? All for now,Tony

Flixtonian
15th February 2013, 16:03
Hi Tony, if I remember correctly the guy who came on for the pay off was Pete Harrison. He used to live round the corner from me, and I'd some times have pint with him in my local in the 80's. No idea where he is now, but if he is a City fan, he's probably hiding from us United fans now! I haven't actually been to any of the re-unions, or spoken to anyone from the site, I just registered to have access to the members list and bi-annual newsletter. Again, as for John Rushworth, I have no idea of where he is.
The only ex Liners person I have spoken to in recent years is John Costello, he was Eng Cadet/4thE, now he runs his own brewery in Dunham Massey near Altrincham. He used to supply my local with some very good beers!
Regards, Steve

Manchester
15th February 2013, 17:05
Hi Tony, if I remember correctly the guy who came on for the pay off was Pete Harrison. He used to live round the corner from me, and I'd some times have pint with him in my local in the 80's. No idea where he is now, but if he is a City fan, he's probably hiding from us United fans now! I haven't actually been to any of the re-unions, or spoken to anyone from the site, I just registered to have access to the members list and bi-annual newsletter. Again, as for John Rushworth, I have no idea of where he is.
The only ex Liners person I have spoken to in recent years is John Costello, he was Eng Cadet/4thE, now he runs his own brewery in Dunham Massey near Altrincham. He used to supply my local with some very good beers!
Regards, Steve

Flixtonian - if you scroll down a bit further on this site after the forums their is a Manchester Liners site

polaris37
29th March 2013, 10:34
John Rushworth died quite a few years ago he was a good pal of my dad's.