Hello to anyone who I have sailed with.

Phil Eastwood
14th February 2013, 23:02
I have been in the Merchant Navy for 38 years. I started my career with Mobil Shipping and stayed with them for 19 years. I am now with P&O ferries and spent many years working on the Pride of Bilbao but now that run has ended I work out of Hull on the Hull to Zebrugger run. I would like to get in touch with any one who remembers sailing with me.

Gulpers
14th February 2013, 23:07
Phil,

On behalf of the SN Moderators, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey - we guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
You will certainly spark many happy memories when you have a chance to explore our threads and, who knows, you may even re-establish contact with old shipmates.
Good luck! (Thumb)

Pompeyfan
15th February 2013, 08:01
Also on behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Phil.

I have been aboard Pride of Bilbao many times including in September 2006 when 15 SN members were aboard for a get together, a trip I arranged via P&O. Such a shame she was taken out of service.

R58484956
15th February 2013, 09:40
Greetings Phil and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

billyboy
15th February 2013, 10:43
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

pilot
16th February 2013, 07:20
Phil. Gday. and welcome name wrings a bell from my Mobil days '71-01.
You may hear some ex. Mobil men on the VHF when at "work". There's 3 of us ex Mobil now VLS Pilots on the Humber and a Tetney BM just retired ex Mobil too. Enjoy SN and the Humber. Rgds. Martin.

JXBURNS
26th April 2013, 00:05
Hi Phil

I'm still working for Mobil (now IMT) after those same 38 years since we were both at Plymouth College (remember your old MGB GT!). Probably going to be given the push in the next couple of months and then will be taking a very early pension. I handed over the last two vessels back in December to new owners so we no longer run any vessels, from the UK anyway, after some 125+ years. Far cry from the days of having a fleet but that is what becomes of working for a company that still has memories of some little incident in Alaska in 1989.

I knew you had been on the Bilbao as I was on her once quite a few years back (think was to Le Havre) and went to ask for you but it was the time you were on leave.

Nice to hear you still at sea - I came ashore in 1982 to "assist in the office for a couple of weeks" and still ashore. We did meet a few times in the office and a couple of times when I was visiting a ship for some reason or other. But I think you disappeared off the "radar" during one of the many "fleet reductions" over the years.

We do have a get together in London for ex-Mobil Shipping people (both shore and fleet) in May and November if you (or any old Mobil people) are interested. Normally have about 30-40 people turn up.

Rgds John