Northwood (Fareham) Ltd

sailorbear
18th February 2013, 14:56
Hi there, can anyone tell me what vessels Northwood still operate? I previously served on the MV Donald Redford as Deckhand/Cook in 2000 and was shocked, when today I found out that she had been scrapped! Are the Wightstone and Norstone still going? or have they gone to the breakers too? If so what vessels do they now operate?

regards

Tont

Pilot mac
18th February 2013, 16:45
Norstone still going strong

regards
Dave

stoneleigh
18th February 2013, 21:55
If it was the Wightstone, later operated by Westminster Gravels Ltd., she went to the breakers years ago. (A couple of theirs went to a breakers on the River Thames, possibly Thos. Ward at Grays)? However I'm unsure after all these years, if she was one that was broken up there? They also operated a vessel named Norstone later, but I'm unsure if it's the same vessel that Dave speaks of. The W.G. Ltd. Norstone originally had bilge keels, (& I think possibly was built in Spain). I thought that vessel was supposedly sold to interests in the Far East, so I was later surprised, (after many years) to find a Norstone operating once again in Solent waters. Are they both the same vessel, if so it did reach Singapore, (or another distant port out there)? It's certainly had a chequered history if it is the same vessel.

Stevie B
19th February 2013, 09:41
If it was the Wightstone, later operated by Westminster Gravels Ltd., she went to the breakers years ago. (A couple of theirs went to a breakers on the River Thames, possibly Thos. Ward at Grays)? However I'm unsure after all these years, if she was one that was broken up there? They also operated a vessel named Norstone later, but I'm unsure if it's the same vessel that Dave speaks of. The W.G. Ltd. Norstone originally had bilge keels, (& I think possibly was built in Spain). I thought that vessel was supposedly sold to interests in the Far East, so I was later surprised, (after many years) to find a Norstone operating once again in Solent waters. Are they both the same vessel, if so it did reach Singapore, (or another distant port out there)? It's certainly had a chequered history if it is the same vessel.

Northwoods Norstone was built in 1971 by Bolsons in Poole as the Sand Skua for South Coast Shipping which later became Cemex Ltd.

iwben
20th February 2013, 10:41
wightstone has been broken up, she was broken up at greenwich in 2005 http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1967752 last i heard was the hull was getting thin under the hold, she was replaced with a former fishing vessel but that had too much draft to access the site services wharf at newport as often as wightstone did, it ended up being replaced by the tarway which was much smaller but served well for a while but now the tarway has been sold and replaced by the goole star.

regards

ben

stoneleigh
22nd February 2013, 15:38
In Westminster days the Wightstone used to frequently discharge at Cawoods berth at Rotherhithe, (a H. & S. nightmare if ever there was one). In those days, Frank James was Master, & Ben Newsam the Chief. I'd heard on some occasions, if they were short of someone in the galley, that Rita would step in, & often did better than the missing cook.

Stevie B
22nd February 2013, 18:21
In Westminster days the Wightstone used to frequently discharge at Cawoods berth at Rotherhithe, (a H. & S. nightmare if ever there was one). In those days, Frank James was Master, & Ben Newsam the Chief. I'd heard on some occasions, if they were short of someone in the galley, that Rita would step in, & often did better than the missing cook.

Think that was a different Wightstone, the Northwoods one was an ex Union cargo ship, just carried stone to Newport from Southampton.

stoneleigh
22nd February 2013, 19:26
Thanks Stevie, I was puzzled by the scrapping date (given as 2005), plus the vessel shown didn't look at all familiar. (Now answered)!
I also thought the vessel I saw a few times, might even have had 2 seperate holds, however it was so long ago, & my memory isn't so good these days.