Jane Phillips

Jane Phillips
28th February 2013, 17:28
Just a short hello. I am interested in my father's history and as he will be 100 a week on Saturday I am looking for some background on Rowland and Marwood and his first ship ss. Glaisdale and found this site in my browsing......

John Rogers
28th February 2013, 18:15
Welcome to SN Jane, there will be lots of people that will help you,just give it a couple of hours.

Pompeyfan
28th February 2013, 18:27
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Jane.

Hopefully, someone will be able to help with the information you are seeking. Good luck (Thumb)

gdynia
28th February 2013, 19:20
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

The Rowland and Marwood Steamship Company was established as a limited company following an approach in February 1890 by John Rowland and Christopher Marwood to the other shareholders of the steamships Resolution, Discovery, Endeavour, Roma, Vectis and Enterprize, previously held on a 64-share basis. Rowland and Marwood were appointed, joint managers and secretaries of the new Company.
Rowland and Marwood both had experience in ship ownership and management: Rowland having been a partner in Robinson and Rowland from 1880 until the break-up of that partnership in 1888, and Marwood was manager of the International Steamship Company
The pair had also, from 1886, jointly managed six steamships belonging to J H Barry and Company Many of these business activities continued concurrently with the management of Rowland and Marwood, and were run from the Company's registered office in 4 Flowergate.
The Company later moved to 43 Flowergate; in 1940 these premises were destroyed in a bombing raid, and the registered office transferred to Raithwaite Hall, where it remained until the liquidation of the Company.
John Rowland died in September 1899 and Christopher Marwood in July 1914. William Aaron Headlam, who had been assistant secretary since 1905, and Lewis George Rowland were then appointed joint managing directors and company secretaries. On L G Rowland's retirement in 1929, Headlam and Sons was established as a management company, Leonard Headlam joining his father as manager of Rowland and Marwood. Both W Aaron Headlam and Leonard Headlam died in 1930 and another son, William A Headlam, was appointed sole managing director and company secretary; he also became chairman of the company in 1950, in which position he remained until his death in August 1990.
In 1985 the entire share capital of the Rowland and Marwood Steamship Company plc was acquired by William Headlam (Holdings) Ltd, which was 100% owned by William Headlam and which had acquired the capital of Headlam and Sons Steamship Company the previous year; Rowland and Marwood was re-registered as a private company. The Company's last vessel, the MV Egton was sold in 1986 after being laid up for eight years, and the Company itself was liquidated in 1994.
Given the disruption to the order of records that had taken place before cataloguing, it has not proved possible to reflect the original administrative arrangement. Indeed, although it is clear that a Marine Superintendent operated, it is not clear what distinctions were made on a day-to-day level between administrative functions; particularly as a series of strong characters seem to have more or less combined the roles of chairman, managing director and company secretary.
Therefore, an arbitrary distinction has been made between "corporate", "operational" and "staff" records and a group consisting of plans and photographs has been created. The allocation of records into these groups has been made by the cataloguing archivist.
The SS Alacrity was built by E Withy and Company of West Hartlepool in 1890 and registered in Whitby. Rowland and Marwood bought 33 shares in 1898, becoming the majority shareholder by 1902, this shareholding had increased to sixty shares. Alacrity was lost in 1903 after colliding with the sunken steamer Vera at the entrance to the River Plate. The SS John H Barry was built by J L Thompson and Sons Ltd in Sunderland in 1899 for J H Barry Company, and managed by Rowland and Marwood. She was torpedoed and sunk in Mar 1917.
The SS Robina, SS Fylingdale and SS Rosehill were built in Sunderland for Robinson and Rowland in 1883 and 1884; on the break-up of that partnership, ownership of these vessels was transferred to John Rowland. The SS Lizzie was built in Sunderland in 1890, she was owned by James Gray and Company.

Gulpers
28th February 2013, 20:57
Jane,

Also on behalf of the SN Moderating Team, thanks for your introduction and a warm welcome aboard.
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and will also get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

billyboy
28th February 2013, 21:53
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

n. liddell (sparks)
28th February 2013, 23:39
Hi Jane - There are a couple of pictures of a vessel called Glaisdale on www.photoship.co.uk - hope she is the vessel in question - BV

R58484956
1st March 2013, 11:29
Greetings Jane and a warm welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

A.D.FROST
1st March 2013, 13:03
A in expensive SB book "A glance at the past" by A.Lund (ISBM 09524409) A history of Rowland & Marwood of Whitby.

Jane Phillips
1st March 2013, 16:16
Hi
thanks for this my dad joined this ship when it was new. He was 16. 100 on Saturday. I am hoping to get a card with the Glaisdale on it. Thanks again.

john nichols
19th May 2018, 09:07
Hi
Glaisdale was my first ship, I joined in Cardiff as a deck cadet when I was 16 years old. I wish I'd seen the request for info earlier as it is 5 years since the initial request was posted but I have posted a painting of Glaisdale in the Gallery. I stayed with the ship for one year until the newly built Runswick was launched at Sunderland.
If I can offer further info please contact me

TommyRob
19th May 2018, 17:27
Pic here

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/657050/title/glaisdale/cat/500

john nichols
19th May 2018, 18:15
Pic here

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/657050/title/glaisdale/cat/500

Hi
Thanks for the image. I believe this photo shows a later Glaisdale than the one I mentioned previously. I think the ship in your photo was previously called Kildale (which I later sailed in).
Kildale had been built during WW2 and the Samson posts fore side of the bridge were off-set from each other in the thwartship line in order to make it more difficult for U-Boats to accurately line up the ship properly if attempting a torpedo attack
Regards
John Nichols

Bill.B
19th May 2018, 21:19
They offset the masts and funnel on the RFA Ranger tankers for the same reason.