Clan Alpine of 1967

clydesiderman
11th March 2013, 20:33
I am about to start a painting of Clan Alpine of 1967, and would like to know as many ports as possible which she visited, so that I can show a suitable background for her. Can anyone please help? Thank you.

A.D.FROST
11th March 2013, 21:14
How about CAPE TOWN or SYDNEY

Cisco
11th March 2013, 22:06
I doubt she ever went to Australia... only a few ships a year used to go out there... they discharged on the SS&A berth and loaded on the Scottish Shire Line berth. Clan Line wasn't a member of the Australian conferences.

I have a 1971 Lloyds Shipping Index which has her Glasgow and Liverpool to Dar es Salaam. So you would be OK with Dar, Tanga, & Mombasa and possibly the South African ports.

Cisco
11th March 2013, 22:12
I just googled pics of her... there is one of her sailing from Durban so she would have been to CT, PE, ELondon, Durban , LM and Biera as well.
I reckon Tanga or Dar would be the best for a painting.

clydesiderman
14th March 2013, 12:57
Thanks for your replies Mr. Frost and Cisco. You have pointed me in the right direction. Again many thanks.

andysk
14th March 2013, 13:21
All the usual B & C suspects, Med, SA, East Africa, Red Sea, India Ceylon, Pakistan, Bangladesh etc.

Some Med ports : Gib, Barcelona, Valencia, Genoa, Ma*s*illes, Trieste, Piraeus and probably some more in between.

Some Red Sea ports : Suez canal, Aqaba, Djibouti, Assab, Aden, Massawa, Port Sudan

Cheers

Andy

Charlie_Wood
14th March 2013, 19:36
My final trip with the company on her took me to parts I'd always managed to avoid before. After Aquaba and Mauritius it was on to Colombo, Madras, Calcutta, Chittagong and Cochin.

Steve P
16th March 2013, 10:52
1973, first ship. Joined Avonmouth, signed off Birkenhead. Do seaports get any more exotic......

andysk
18th March 2013, 13:01
1973, first ship. Joined Avonmouth, signed off Birkenhead. Do seaports get any more exotic......

Not a lot !

That must have been the original big trip !

David Barton
4th May 2013, 01:11
Try Dagenham, Cherbourg, Rotterdam, Hamburg, Marseilles, Port Sudan, Aqaba, Aden, Djibouti, Assab, Dar es Salaam, Tanga, Nacala, Jakarta, Semerang, Surabaya, Madras (as was!) Kakinada, Calcutta, Colombo, Genoa, Manchester, Hull, Glasgow (KG5), Birkenhead, Avonmouth, Newport, Cardiff, Swansea. I am sure there were some more, as I did three trips on her, but memory fades!

DavidSankson
23rd October 2013, 19:51
Just picked up this thread. Note a comment of her not going to Australia. I was on her from July 1968 until June 69. We did a double header from Calcutta down past Singapore to Sydney, Melbourne, Albany, Adelaide then returned to UK via Cape Town. The old grey cells are setting in, but I did two trips around Oz one on the Alpine and one on the McGregor.
David

FatherOf2
5th November 2013, 21:43
I am about to start a painting of Clan Alpine of 1967, and would like to know as many ports as possible which she visited, so that I can show a suitable background for her. Can anyone please help? Thank you.

Sailed twice on her cadet then 3rd Mate. Early 1972 Birkenhead, Cape Town, East London, Port Elizabeth, Durban

Aug / Dec 1975 Rotterdam, Suez Canal, Aquaba, Port Sudan, Assab, Aden, Djibuti, Dar Es Salaam, Livorno, Manchester

NicoRos
22nd February 2015, 12:27
A former crewmember of Clan Alpine intends to commission a 24" professional model of this ship. A single model costs relatively much more than a series of 4 or 5 pcs. If anyone wishes to participate in this project, plse let me know.

Banni
25th February 2015, 09:53
There are a number of photo's of the Alpine in the Clan Line and Illustrated Fleet History, including one of its launch minus its funnel and derricks etc. There are also colour photo's of her laden at sea with containers on deck and also entering the Manchester ship Canal.

regards

banni

NicoRos
12th November 2015, 22:31
Here is my latest model
Not completed yet, but well underway

tiachapman
12th November 2015, 23:13
looking good