Board Of Trade Medal For Gallantry.

OLD STRAWBERRY
18th March 2013, 20:26
I have just watched todays programme of Dickinsons Real Deal. A chap had brought this Medal in to sell. It belonged to His Grandfather a chief steward in the St Kathrine. THis may well have happend at Gravesend On Dec 8th 1895 . THis man was awarded the Board of Trade Medal for Gallantry in saving life at sea from the Wreck of the Edward and Sarah. What either of these vessel were I have no idea.

I wonder if Anyone might have or can find out some information on this event (Maybe Stan might be able to throw some light on this as it in His area (ie Thames River and Estuary area).

It does surprise Me that the man who brought the Medal in had not bothered to find out the history of his Grandfather.

stan mayes
19th March 2013, 01:42
Hi Tony,
I know nothing of this incident and have never heard the names of vessels involved.
Stan

OLD STRAWBERRY
19th March 2013, 11:31
Thanks a lot anyway Stan, I guessed it was going to be a Long Shot. I just wonder if the "Edward and Sarah" could be a Sailing Barge, it does seem the sort of name that would fit a sailing Barge. Incidently the Medal went for 460 at auction a small price to pay for an act of Bravery. I would've kept it if it belonged to My Grandfather

frankysan
22nd March 2013, 00:26
I have just watched todays programme of Dickinsons Real Deal. A chap had brought this Medal in to sell. It belonged to His Grandfather a chief steward in the St Kathrine. THis may well have happend at Gravesend On Dec 8th 1895 . THis man was awarded the Board of Trade Medal for Gallantry in saving life at sea from the Wreck of the Edward and Sarah. What either of these vessel were I have no idea.

I wonder if Anyone might have or can find out some information on this event (Maybe Stan might be able to throw some light on this as it in His area (ie Thames River and Estuary area).

It does surprise Me that the man who brought the Medal in had not bothered to find out the history of his Grandfather.

Yes I watched that show Tony and it surprised me also that the chap had not bothered to make any attempt to discover the history behind the medal.
Also as I recall, Dickinson asked him why would he not want to keep the medal in the family.He replied he was the last of his family.
Still I think I would have kept it.
It was a real beauty of a medal.
frank

John Rogers
22nd March 2013, 00:41
It may be of value to a collector but who would want to buy a medal.maybe a PHONY HERO, and there are some of them around showing off to the press.
Do people make money buying and selling medals.

ninabaker
22nd March 2013, 01:48
Maybe this ship? http://shippedia.com/vessel.php?n=12288&v=EDWARD%20AND%20SARAH

OLD STRAWBERRY
22nd March 2013, 11:43
Maybe this ship? http://shippedia.com/vessel.php?n=12288&v=EDWARD%20AND%20SARAH
Hello Ninabaker, that has to be the one doesn't it, definitely in the right date area. Well searched but a shame there are no more details. Many thanks.
Also thanks everyone for all the interest. A small step forward, whether or not We shall get to the bottom of this remains to be seen.

McCloggie
22nd March 2013, 12:05
This is on Wikipedia:

The Sea Gallantry Medal (SGM) (officially 'The Board of Trade Medal for Saving Life at Sea'), is an award for civil gallantry at sea in Great Britain and the Commonwealth. The Merchant Shipping Act 1854 permitted the issue of this award and SGMs were first struck in 1855.[2] They were first awarded either for 'humanity' (where there was little risk to the life of the recipient), or for gallantry (where there was significant risk to the recipient).[3]

Recipients are entitled to the post-nomial "SGM". There have been two awards of the Sea Gallantry Medal (Bronze) since 1974: one in 1981 and the other in 1989. No Sea Gallantry Medals (Silver) have been awarded since this time.

Is this the medal we are talking about?

McC

Duncan112
22nd March 2013, 12:27
Following one of the Wiki links got me this:

H.W. WILLIS, skipper, T. HEWETT, 3rd hand, E. SAUNDERSEN, 4th hand, of fishing-smack Amy (Fishing smack Edward and Sarah of Yarmouth). (8.12.95)

slick
22nd March 2013, 13:04
All,
I have made half hearted attempts to to find out about a medal awarded to my father.
It is a Royal Marines Cadet Cadet Corps medal in silver dated August 1929 and thats it.
I have written to the Royal Marines Museum at Portsmouth to no avail.
Can anyone give me some pointers?

Gratefully,
Yours aye,

slick

OLD STRAWBERRY
22nd March 2013, 16:05
Hello, looking back to My original thread I have forgotten to enter the chaps name. It was a Henry.W.Willis who was the Chief Steward (That's what the chap on Dickinsons Real deals said anyway) who was in a ship called the St katherine the date was Dec 8th 1895. He was awarded this Medal the Board of Trade Medal for Gallantry (For Saving Life At sea). This is what is shown on the edge of the Medal from the Wreck of the Edward and Sarah. It does appear the this man Henry. W.Willis may well have been the Master of the St katherine. Does it then seem that the "Edward and Sarah" was a Fishing Smack that had got into diffculties and the Ship St katherine (whatever She was) was in the vicinity and came to their assistance. perhaps it may have been in the Channel as the Fishing Smack was a Plymouth Registered vessel????.

McCloggie
22nd March 2013, 16:20
It seems a bit of a coincidence that the name Duncan came up with (H W Willis, Skipper) is so similar to the name that OS has from the TV show (Henry W Willis, Chief Steard).

McC

OLD STRAWBERRY
22nd March 2013, 16:29
Hi McC. It is becoming a lot clearer now. The guy who was selling the Medal was the Great Grandson of "Henry W Willis" and said that His Great Grandfather was the Chief Steward but that does sound a bit strange? unless He actually dived into the water but this man was more than likely the Master of the St katherine. I wonder if there would have been some Certificate as well along with the Medal I would have thought so.
Where could one find this info? it must be in some Archive somewhere. Perhaps The National Archive at Kew. But where do You start. I did manage to get a lot info from the TNA about My Uncles WW2 History in the "Athel Line". They would at least probably know who "Henry W Willis" was?.

McCloggie
22nd March 2013, 16:44
I really do not know where to start with these hunts.

Maybe the National Maritime Museum knows something about the BoT medal connnection?

I reckon that somebody on here will know!

McC

OLD STRAWBERRY
22nd March 2013, 17:30
Hi again. I have found this on a website for the BOT Sea Gallantry Medal.

Dec 8th 1895.
H W Willis Skipper.
T Hewett. 3rd hand.
E Saundersen 4th hand. of the Fishing Smack "AMY".
In Brackets.( Fishing Smack "Edward and Sarah" of Yarmouth.)
That more or less answers the question. It shows that the Fishing Smack "Amy" went to the assistence of the Fishing Smack "Edward and Sarah". But where on earth the St katherine came from I'm not sure. Job done I think, thanks All for Your input.

Tom S
22nd March 2013, 17:57
Tony
Wreck of the Edward and Sarah on the 8th Dec 1895
Skipper Henry W Wills ,Third Hand Thomas Hewitt and Fourth Hand Ernest Saunderson of the fishing smack Amy of Great Yarmouth rescued the crew of the Fishing Smack Edward and Sarah of Yarmouth on the 8th Dec 1895 their vessel having been abandoned in the North Sea.The sea was very heavy and the rescue was accomplished with great difficulty.
Willis was awarded the Board of Trade Silver Medal for Gallantry and binocular glasses,Hewitt and Saunderson were each awarded the Silver Medal and a gratuity of 2
DVDs
Tom

McCloggie
22nd March 2013, 18:02
It is amazing what this site comes up with.

I wonder if the guy on the TV show - or indeed the person who bought the medal - knows any of this?

McC

Tom S
22nd March 2013, 18:16
All,
I have made half hearted attempts to to find out about a medal awarded to my father.
It is a Royal Marines Cadet Cadet Corps medal in silver dated August 1929 and thats it.
I have written to the Royal Marines Museum at Portsmouth to no avail.
Can anyone give me some pointers?

Gratefully,
Yours aye,

slick

try this
Royal Marines Volunteer Cadet Corps (Portsmouth)

Address:
Alamein Block
158 Building
HMS Excellent
Portsmouth
Hampshire
PO2 8ER
tom

OLD STRAWBERRY
22nd March 2013, 21:21
Tony
Wreck of the Edward and Sarah on the 8th Dec 1895
Skipper Henry W Wills ,Third Hand Thomas Hewitt and Fourth Hand Ernest Saunderson of the fishing smack Amy of Great Yarmouth rescued the crew of the Fishing Smack Edward and Sarah of Yarmouth on the 8th Dec 1895 their vessel having been abandoned in the North Sea.The sea was very heavy and the rescue was accomplished with great difficulty.
Willis was awarded the Board of Trade Silver Medal for Gallantry and binocular glasses,Hewitt and Saunderson were each awarded the Silver Medal and a gratuity of 2
DVDs
Tom

Great work Tom. I think We can close the book on this one. I wonder what that 2 gratuity is worth in todays money.

It just shows what a brilliant site SN is and the interest of All Members in sorting out all these maritime queries.(Applause)

Tom S
22nd March 2013, 22:14
Some information on the Board of Trade gallantry medal
http://www.searlecanada.org/hemy/SGM001.html
Tom

OLD STRAWBERRY
22nd March 2013, 22:50
Cheers Tom but that's the one I found as well.

slick
23rd March 2013, 08:38
Hello Tom,
Thank you for the info.

Yours aye,

slick