Mosquito Bar.

radionev
5th May 2013, 16:09
I have just read, to my dismay, that my first bar where i got well laid regularly has been demolished. I have uploaded 2 photo's of a Tshirt which I still have (life on board ?)
I was the mad sparky on the Benveg 1958/1959. Just thinking there can't be many of us left.

Peter Martin
5th May 2013, 16:48
I have just read, to my dismay, that my first bar where i got well laid regularly has been demolished. I have uploaded 2 photo's of a Tshirt which I still have (life on board ?)
I was the mad sparky on the Benveg 1968/1959. Just thinking there can't be many of us left.

Bangkok branch?

JoeQ
5th May 2013, 17:05
I had many a happy evening in the Mossie bar & Venus Rooms in the 70's. Great times all gone now

Frank P
5th May 2013, 17:15
In 1969 I signed off a ship in Singapore and a few of us went to Bangkok and I stayed there for 5 months, here is a photo of a few of the girls from the Mosquito bar. While I was in Bangkok my brother came on the Benhaint.

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/23737/cpage/2/title/mosquito-bar-2c-bangkok/cat/501

Cheers Frank

forthbridge
5th May 2013, 20:57
I had many a happy evening in the Mossie bar & Venus Rooms in the 70's. Great times all gone now

Lots of goodmemories of the mossie and the venus from the 1960s. I dont think i ever saw them in daylight though.

oldman 80
6th May 2013, 00:51
(==D)
Likewise - great memories indeed.
I first entered the Mozzie Bar in the "silly season" of 1963.
It was my first voyage "Fast to the Far East" and I was only seventeen at the time.
I bet there aren't too many of you guys who remember what you got for Xmas that year.
(*))

Peter Martin
6th May 2013, 07:19
We'll have to open a book on this one!
Who was the first to have a bevvie in the Mosquito/Venus bar(s).
Just looked at my discharge book and mine was August 1957..
Remember all the miniature Thai warships on the way up-river to Bangkok and dipping the ensign to each one.
n.b. Bevvie gentlemen not the other well-known pursuit that also begins with a "B"...

Ah yes! I knew of many chaps who picked things up from 'lavatory seats' there. And so, for some, it was Christmas throughout the year.

richardwakeley
6th May 2013, 13:53
Radionev,

you are way before my time, i'm just a latecomer. But i did sign off a Bluie at singapore in late 77 after a double header on the "Blue sea line" with 4 months leave to waste. Took the train to Penang and enjoyed there, then over to thailand, straight down to klong toey. Do u remember the name of another bar just round the corner? Mossie bar & Venus were right outside the seamans club which was also a great place for afternoon food & bevvies, but there was another just round the corner. I helped them put up the Christmas decorations in 1977. Then took off on the train for Chiang Mai. Went back there a few years ago on a ship at klong toey, but it's all gone, only nostalgia.

73, richard

richardwakeley
6th May 2013, 14:41
You have all got me going now. late 70s, I was sparkie on the new BF "M boats". Blue Sea line. Every trip we loaded 3000 tons of tapioca in jumbo bags at klong toey for Searsport, Me. African crew from Freetown. As "R/O-Purser" i was in charge of the subs and blu flue masters were quite strict about only ordering the exact amount of local cash which we requested. but i always subbed a load more baht on my own account and brought a notebook ashore, handing out subs to crew at the mossie bar.

radionev
6th May 2013, 15:47
Radionev,

you are way before my time, i'm just a latecomer. But i did sign off a Bluie at singapore in late 77 after a double header on the "Blue sea line" with 4 months leave to waste. Took the train to Penang and enjoyed there, then over to thailand, straight down to klong toey. Do u remember the name of another bar just round the corner? Mossie bar & Venus were right outside the seamans club which was also a great place for afternoon food & bevvies, but there was another just round the corner. I helped them put up the Christmas decorations in 1977. Then took off on the train for Chiang Mai. Went back there a few years ago on a ship at klong toey, but it's all gone, only nostalgia.

73, richard

I think it was the freedom bar.

Farmer John
6th May 2013, 17:46
Remember all the miniature Thai warships on the way up-river to Bangkok and dipping the ensign to each one.

Yes, I used to love that, it seemed a very exciting thing to a quiet lad of 17.

Eltel
8th May 2013, 18:26
Radionev,

73, richard

Was that the Golden Gate? A little bit up the road on the left. There was also the OK Coral between the Mossie and the Venus and was it the Rose Garden at the end of the block?

Ben Boat Jim
30th May 2013, 00:15
Proudly clutching my brand new discharge book (R652896) which I still have,and, after a coastal trip on the old "Albanach" and one on the brand new "Vrackie", I finally got away Foreign going on the "Benmacdhui" as "Peggy", arriving in Klong Toey Bangkok in mid August 1956.
I remember as if it was yesterday.....The bosun Jackie Callender from Aberdeen sent me up to the Mozzie Bar to buy 2 bottles of Mehkong whisky (Monkey brand) think they were six bob a bottle at that time..
Along the wharf through the gates (no security)...diagonally across the road and on the corner was the Mosquito bar.. Up the stairs and inside, pitch dark at first..
While waiting for the mamasan to bring the bottles, a couple of the girls started planting ki sses on my cheeks.Terrified I bolted back aboard, and found to my dismay...lipstick imprints all over my face.
By the time we sailed however I had a knowing lustful look about me , having "lost my cherry"in the Klong Toey Bag shanties.
Ah they were glorious days !!!!!!
P.S. I am off to Thailand next week on holiday

terence
30th May 2013, 22:39
hi lost your cheery to a she or heshe/
terry

Waighty
4th July 2013, 19:40
hi lost your cheery to a she or heshe/
terry

After you've had half a bottle of "Bangkok Monkey" it wouldn't make much difference!!!!

oldman 80
5th July 2013, 02:06
After you've had half a bottle of "Bangkok Monkey" it wouldn't make much difference!!!!

Aye - so true, so true that's for sure.
That Monkey whisky sure "blew your head off" - as they say.
It left me with one hell of a headache on more than one occasion, and I was only seventeen at the time.
But on the positive side - It taught me, at a very early stage, to drink only in moderation, at all times.
(*))

ian keyl
5th July 2013, 13:58
Bangkok Monkey ,

If it was drunk in any style or from any bar the outcome was always the same, I remember dragging a second sparks out of the Mozzie with the help of the second Leckie whilst on the Valla. We were in mid stream about three vessels down from the bars and due to come alongside the next morning. Sparks was so far gone he wouldnt have known if we were dragging him upside down or backwards. We got to the landing stage and summoned a speedo how we got him on board such a narrow boat without him or us in the drink I don't know.

On the way back it must have been the engine fumes but he decided to let go of the contents of his stomach ,all over me and my brand new blue shirt from M&S which my mum had bought me.

I suppose I did not feel that bad thinking it will wash ok. Back on board I washed the shirt in the sink and dhobed and hung it up to dry ,then I noticed the effects of Bangkok Monkey, my shirt was like one of those modern Russian winter camouflage patterns .There was patches of white shirt and blue it was as if it had been bleached all over, I don't think sparky had much of an aim.

Maybe the moto is" do'nt second sparks any favours."

It all felt great whilst you drank it even if it was luke warm and the label was still wet and sliding down the bottle.
Keep her steady Ian.

trotterdotpom
5th July 2013, 14:15
You did the right thing Ian. Don't forget he only had 6 months to learn the ropes. The shirt is long gone and would be even if he hadn't coloured it in, but you still have the inner glow obtained by taking care of a shipmate.

John T

oldman 80
6th July 2013, 02:11
Bangkok Monkey ,

If it was drunk in any style or from any bar the outcome was always the same, I remember dragging a second sparks out of the Mozzie with the help of the second Leckie whilst on the Valla. We were in mid stream about three vessels down from the bars and due to come alongside the next morning. Sparks was so far gone he wouldnt have known if we were dragging him upside down or backwards. We got to the landing stage and summoned a speedo how we got him on board such a narrow boat without him or us in the drink I don't know.

On the way back it must have been the engine fumes but he decided to let go of the contents of his stomach ,all over me and my brand new blue shirt from M&S which my mum had bought me.

I suppose I did not feel that bad thinking it will wash ok. Back on board I washed the shirt in the sink and dhobed and hung it up to dry ,then I noticed the effects of Bangkok Monkey, my shirt was like one of those modern Russian winter camouflage patterns .There was patches of white shirt and blue it was as if it had been bleached all over, I don't think sparky had much of an aim.

It all felt great whilst you drank it even if it was luke warm and the label was still wet and sliding down the bottle.
Keep her steady Ian.

Hmm - yes indeed, the memories flood back, despite the passage of time.
Come to think of it, I don't think I ever got further than the Mossie Bar, so far as drinking places went.
I also recall an impressive tour of the Temples, the Buddhas, the snake farm etc., but that was in the daytime, when I was working all night.
And who could forget Mutt, the regular stevedore foreman assigned to the Ben Boats. A real fine fella, I recall.

ian keyl
8th July 2013, 06:20
Yes Old Man,
you are correct not to forget Mutt, the person I remember but could never think of his name. My grey matter is usually pretty good but I remember on the old Ben Line site which seems to have closed I did a story about Bangkok which was to include Mutt but could think of his name so he was left out of it.

Now he can become famous whilst working nights outward bound discharging, Mutt was always there willing to dip his hand in his pocket to help keep you going ,with pop,iced coffee and of course your delicious breakfast.
At about half past one in the morning when the stevedores stopped for chow he would ask you what you would like for your chow.

I cannot remember the exact meals but god they were fantastic and full of flavours and filling. Brought to you piping hot wrapped in banana leaves and tied up in little parcels with raffia . the prawns were so good it makes me feel hungry now. He would always attend with you when you went up th the Customs warehouse to evaluate broched cargo and identify loose cargo which had not ID marks on it. Whilst there he would buy all the officialdom iced cokes to ease the process along , then the agent would appear to pass over an envelope to reduce the fines for the amount of broached cargo and possible cargo which had been landed but for another country.

The amount of booze we would put ashore there for the US who would spend R&R in Bangkok away from Vietnam.. If we had been to Le Harve on the european coast then usually we would have tons of French brandy of all categories which was a favourite of the stevedores to steal and drink.
Mutt was always there still in the mates office long after the night shift had showered and crashed for the day or got ready for the sites as you had mentioned Old Man..

It was always a great time in Bangkok asking the agent to get you some of the best Thai silk treated with the latest 3m's fabric conditioner. You always used to think the girlfriend would get or make a dress and look just like a Thai girl . Dream on in many cases.

Ian.

oldman 80
14th July 2013, 09:14
Oh yes, Oh yes - how right you are, absolutely spot on.
Mutt was a remarkable guy, a friend to one and all, and just as you said the food he provided was just fantastic.
My choice was invariably Nasi Goreng - complete with an egg on top, all wrapped up in the leaf parcel you described.
Yes that is ensactly the way I remember it too.
Here's to Mutt - a great guy - no doubt whatsoever, about that. (Pint)

binliner
14th July 2013, 18:20
Nasi Goreng with lashings of Linghams chilli sauce followed by one of the iced coffees served in a plastic bag sold generally at the stern of the boat where the ice lay covered in sacks and sawdust.

oldman 80
14th July 2013, 19:57
Nasi Goreng with lashings of Linghams chilli sauce followed by one of the iced coffees served in a plastic bag sold generally at the stern of the boat where the ice lay covered in sacks and sawdust.

I can't say I recall the chilli sauce with my Nasi Goreng.
Seems a bit strange - who would want to put chilli sauce on Nasi Goreng. A fried rice perhaps , but Nasi Goreng - oh no, I don't think so.
The iced drinks in the plastic bags - Oh yes, - I remember them quite clearly,- and yes you are right about the sawdust, as well.
Good times, so they were, but now gone for ever.
Aye, it was work hard and play hard in those days - and it did us little or no harm whatsoever - well mostly, - I reckon.

binliner
15th July 2013, 12:27
Always remember Chinese crew having porridge with a fried egg on top and chilli sauce for breakfast,got me into the habit,even now my wife complains when she has made a nice Indian or Chinese meal I reach for the Linghams to add to the piquancy or as she says destroy the flavour.

ian keyl
28th July 2013, 20:10
Just to divert slightly from the Mozzie and its hazards.
Can anyone remember as cadets sent down on the home coast to clean up the holds and finfing millions (not Quite but seemed like it) of those polly bags fastened to the spar ceilings with a laggy bnd and the mate wanted them all cut down , it was a risks was the yellow liquid still in the bag faded coffee or Bangkok dockers piss it was a gamble when you hid it with a bit of dunnage who would get a shower first.

The original from the mama san don aft was always so refresshing ,I mean the iced coffee.
Rgds Ian.

Ben Boat Jim
6th August 2013, 04:59
Not long back from a 3 week holiday in Bangkok and Pattaya. Seems like I will never learn...bad enough the Monkey brand whisky (Mehkhong} when I was "Peggy" in 1956......In late June this year, I fell down a flight of steep stairs, compliments of Thai rum (Sangsom) mixed with Singha and San Miguel beer. This happened in Pattaya....tore the bark from my right knee, deep bruising of the belly and top of left shoulder, thought I was back in Wullie Thomsons navy again. Had to do some fast talking to my partner....Thank god she is a Filipino.
Going back next year for another lash... but no more rum.

Kind regards Jim Morrison. R652896.

Waighty
15th August 2013, 15:27
Bangkok Monkey ,

Keep her steady Ian.

Does anyone remember the tale about one Ben Line engineer (unnamed in the story) in Bangkok who when on his way back to the ship after a gut full of Monkey and beer stopped behind one of the cargo sheds to relieve himself and duly passed out. The others in the staggering group didn't spot he was gone and went back on board. The next morning he appeared in the duty mess and after much banter displayed his "meat and two veg" - which were covered in horrendous insect bites! Moral - try to do your fly up before you pass out!! I can't vouch for the veracity of this story but I was told it on Benavon circa 1966.

ABK
24th October 2016, 15:52
Hello Dear Shipnostalgics!
Did anybody of you visit the infamous Mosquito bar or Venus Room in 1968? We are making a documantary about the political events form 1968, but from the perspective of personal stories recorded on 8mm footage. So if you have a story to tell or some archive material to share, please get in touch!

Naytikos
9th October 2017, 02:40
This is what it looks like now, but if you turn around and look the other way, the port gates are still there.

trotterdotpom
9th October 2017, 03:17
Does anyone remember the tale about one Ben Line engineer (unnamed in the story) in Bangkok who when on his way back to the ship after a gut full of Monkey and beer stopped behind one of the cargo sheds to relieve himself and duly passed out. The others in the staggering group didn't spot he was gone and went back on board. The next morning he appeared in the duty mess and after much banter displayed his "meat and two veg" - which were covered in horrendous insect bites! Moral - try to do your fly up before you pass out!! I can't vouch for the veracity of this story but I was told it on Benavon circa 1966.

He had a sting in his tail.

John T

spongebob
9th October 2017, 04:50
A friend and his wife went four wheel driving off road in the Northern Territory.
She needed to relieve herself in the small hours and while squatting in the moonlight received thousands of mozzy or sandfly bites that did so much damage they called off the trip.
Reminds me of the story about two townie mates that went outback in their camper and after lunch one day one bloke went into bushes to do his business.
Next thing he came screaming back to his mate to say
" Help, what can you do, I've been bitten on the backside by a snake"
His mate got on th RT , called the outback medical service and explained the problem.
"Cup your mouth around the bitten area and suck as hard as you can or else he will die" was the urgent advice.
Returning to his crippled mate he said "Sorry mate your gonna die".

Bob

tsell
9th October 2017, 05:35
A friend and his wife went four wheel driving off road in the Northern Territory.
She needed to relieve herself in the small hours and while squatting in the moonlight received thousands of mozzy or sandfly bites that did so much damage they called off the trip.
Reminds me of the story about two townie mates that went outback in their camper and after lunch one day one bloke went into bushes to do his business.
Next thing he came screaming back to his mate to say
" Help, what can you do, I've been bitten on the backside by a snake"
His mate got on th RT , called the outback medical service and explained the problem.
"Cup your mouth around the bitten area and suck as hard as you can or else he will die" was the urgent advice.
Returning to his crippled mate he said "Sorry mate your gonna die".

Bob

This also happened in the NT...

Kevin: "How come you're back early from your camping trip, Bruce, and what's the bloodied bandage on your head about?"

Bruce: "Well, dropped me dacks in the bush over a nest of jumping meat ants, didn't I, Kev? The little bastards were also responsible for me 'ead injury too."

"How'd they damage your head, they don't jump that high, pal!"

"Well yesterday, Madge went into the scrub for an Edgar and the same thing happened and she ran screaming into a billabong.

"So? What 'appened next?"

"I burst into hysterical laughter!" (==D)(EEK)

Taff

Waighty
9th October 2017, 14:22
He had a sting in his tail.

John T

Nice ending John. Joking aside it must have been agonising for days afterwards.

Mike

binliner
11th October 2017, 23:40
Spent six weeks alongside on the Bencairn in Bangkok had to go a shore every night as 2nd lecky was getting married when he got home collapsed after six weeks as the speed I was taking to keep going caught up with me.