New P&O Cruise Ship

Chris Isaac
13th June 2013, 14:27
So just why has a British Duchess performed the naming ceremony for an American ship today in Southampton.
Why is the Royal family being exploited for American gain.
P&O is not a British shipping company!

Union Jack
13th June 2013, 15:52
Oh dear! All aboard the outrage bus!(Thumb)

Jack

Chris Isaac
13th June 2013, 16:05
I am not outraged, I just think the Royal family should promote Britain not some former colony!

sparkie2182
13th June 2013, 16:09
Nicely said Chris..............

"Quite frankly, this latest outrageous outrage has outraged me outrageously!!!!!!!!!!!"...............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_z5mvCKEJ0

:)

A.D.FROST
13th June 2013, 16:16
Because the 'Mother-in- Law' named the last one

Union Jack
13th June 2013, 17:03
I am not outraged, I just think the Royal family should promote Britain not some former colony!

And I'm outraged, Chris, that you're not outraged!(*)) I actually agree with your point, and would much rather that HRH was launching a truly British ship, and preferably a warship. It's all in the name I guess.

Jack

signalman
13th June 2013, 17:39
In the pictures of the event, can anyone tell me why the chap with P&O badge, and scrambled eggs on his cap is wearing what appears to be a General Service Medal ribbon which was issued only to the Army and Air Force (The Naval equivalent has red and white stripes) ?

Union Jack
13th June 2013, 19:47
The quick answer, with love from Wiki, is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_General_Service_Medal but a wee shoogle with Google will provide any necessary elaboration.

Jack

chadburn
13th June 2013, 20:31
One of those who served at Suez when American interference turned it into a complete waste of those who were killed because they (the Americans) were not consulted beforehand and threatened to stop their aid to us.

philabos
13th June 2013, 21:43
One of those who served at Suez when American interference turned it into a complete waste of those who were killed because they (the Americans) were not consulted beforehand and threatened to stop their aid to us.

As an American, agree completely with your sentiments. The world might be a different place had we not made that mistake - certainly not worse.

At the risk of annoying people further, here is a link to the full ceremony this morning. 1st Battalion Pipers Irish Guards and Band of HM Marines - Portsmouth.

http://www.princess.com/royalprincessnaming/index.html

The event has gotten world wide coverage and surely that is not all bad. We all know P&O is owned by Carnival and last I heard headquartered in California. To those few of us - maybe 1 in 100000, it is all theater. The rest of the world sees a ship flying the Red Ensign (yes - I know it's Bermuda), named by a quite popular member of royalty, and seen off by British bands. In many ways, perception is reality.

Finally, to those who scoff,I would remind you imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Worth something, eh?

slick
14th June 2013, 06:50
All,
It would appear that the Captain's medals are a GSM (possibly NI) and a United Nations Medal for either FRY or Sierra Leone, there may be an RFA connection somewhere?

Yours aye,

slick

pensioner
14th June 2013, 22:43
I was outraged, from what I saw on the News, that they could only get a Steward to pass the scissors to the Duchess also I would have thought he could have cleaned his coat from all that scrambled egg.

Regards