New Zealand weather

sidsal
20th June 2013, 11:23
Message from New Zealand old HMS Conway lads tell me that the Cook Straits ferries are stopped due to very stormy weather.
I believe South Island has had a lot of snow and that it is due to fall as far as Taupo in North Island.
The Cook Straits can be very rough I believe adn when in NZ in the 80's I remeber seeing an aerial photo of a ferry with its bow deep in the sea and its rear door pointing skyward.

exsailor
20th June 2013, 11:50
Yes, winter has arrived big time. Usually the bad weather only affects a small area - this polar blast covers the whole country.
Summer brought the worst drought conditions on record to many areas - they are now buried under either snow or flood waters. Here in Dunedin we had the lowest February rainfall ever recorded and now for June we have already had 4 times the monthly June average and it is still raining as I write, with the Met Service website showing rain or showers every day out to Saturday week.

Some news items here - http://www.nzherald.co.nz/
and http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/261749/snow-cuts-power-more-come

Dennis.

Donald McGhee
20th June 2013, 21:38
Yep, getting a bit parky, as they say. We have a flooded creek and the animals (sheep and cattle) look as if they want to be anywhere but here, Rarotonga perhaps?
Very wet, stormy conditions and we have gone from almost dry water tanks and cracked, hard earth to overflowing tanks and sodden, muddy ground, talk about one extreme to the other!
The dog, wise old boxer that she is, is curled up on her armchair by the log fire, which is up to 25 knots already. They're no daft, thae dugs!
Keep warm fellow Kiwi mariners, summer is coming, shortest day today.

jimthehat
20th June 2013, 23:00
heard that their biggest ferry Kaitaki had broken loose in Wellington harbour and has called for tug assistance as she cannot get her head into the wind to drop anchor.

jim

spacetracker
21st June 2013, 00:37
During 13 years deep sea the worst weather I ever experienced was crossing Cook Strait on a late January or early February sailing for a holiday trip between islands. The state of my unseasoned fellow travelers was not a pretty sight.

Alex Salmond
21st June 2013, 11:13
I was listening to Radio Live on my way back from work last night when they were getting some reports from an island off Wellington where the winds were gusting up to 180 kmh(EEK) Not beachball weather at all by the time i got home up here on the Kaipara Harbour the storm had moved up here with a vengeance !! i liked it better when we had our drought a few months back (Whaaa) ohh forgot to say we ve got a supermoon on its way tomorrow when the moon will be at its perigee?? and will look ummmm big we re also starting to see Matariki ( the Pleiades) in the morning which is recognised as the Maori New Year ....Happy Matariki guys another good reason to have a bevvie(*))

R.kearsley
22nd June 2013, 01:25
Message from New Zealand old HMS Conway lads tell me that the Cook Straits ferries are stopped due to very stormy weather.
I believe South Island has had a lot of snow and that it is due to fall as far as Taupo in North Island.
The Cook Straits can be very rough I believe adn when in NZ in the 80's I remeber seeing an aerial photo of a ferry with its bow deep in the sea and its rear door pointing skyward.

ferry you mention was the NZR Aromoana but I think it was in the late 60s,my brother was a purser on that trip and he reakons it was the worst he had been on