Slim Whitman

cueball44
24th June 2013, 19:58
R.I.P SLIM WHITMAN. Another great singer passed on.

barrinoz
25th June 2013, 02:09
Amen to that.

rickles23
25th June 2013, 09:11
Hi,
RIP Slim Whitman.
Seems like everyone is passing on.
Regards

Jeffers
25th June 2013, 10:01
My mother used to play his records when I was young... I must confess I didn't realise that he was still alive.

Tom(Tucker)Kirby
26th June 2013, 12:19
One of Slims songs was used in the film Martian Attack, his singing was the nemesis to the invading aliens. Very funny! He was a star.

ben27
27th June 2013, 02:07
good morning cueball44 sm.25thjune.2013,04:58.re:slim Whitman.he was a fine entertainer.may he rest in peace,regards ben27.

barry john macauley
27th June 2013, 06:13
One of Slims songs was used in the film Martian Attack, his singing was the nemesis to the invading aliens. Very funny! He was a star.

That Film will live with me forever. The pain visible on the aliens faces, just before their heads exploded inside those gold fish bowls was classic.
Have many of Slims records; still play em too.
barry mac

Alex Salmond
27th June 2013, 12:38
That Film will live with me forever. The pain visible on the aliens faces, just before their heads exploded inside those gold fish bowls was classic.
Have many of Slims records; still play em too.
barry mac

Ahah well that explains everything ,i saw that movie too and my sympathy was with the aliens nae wonder their poor old heads exploded (Ouch),jeez and you still play them ??!(EEK) no worries mate im sure someone will come up with a cure someday(Thumb)

barry john macauley
27th June 2013, 16:42
Ahah well that explains everything ,i saw that movie too and my sympathy was with the aliens nae wonder their poor old heads exploded (Ouch),jeez and you still play them ??!(EEK) no worries mate im sure someone will come up with a cure someday(Thumb)

Why thank you Alex that is the nicest thing you've said to me, I feel quite weak kneed. However back to those nasty little Martians....once they nuked the doves of peace they'd gone beyond the pale for me, and no punishment was too severe for the little ratbags.Thank goodness for Slim say I.
I can not for the life of me remember the track that dealt the death blow; I would go for Indian Love Call or The Love Song Of the Waterfall, but would welcome any input.
barry mac
PS Slim is yodelling away on the gramophone, as I celebrate our victory over the forces of evil.

beedeesea
27th June 2013, 19:32
From Wiki:

Meeting with the ambassador one more time to plead for peace, the ambassador goes to shake hands with President Dale but the ambassador's hand comes off and crawls on President Dale, and then impales him to death. Meanwhile, Richie Norris, a Kansas teenager, discovers that the Martians heads explode when they hear Slim Whitman's "Indian Love Call". He and his grandmother drive around town, using the song to destroy the Martians. The military hears about the recording and broadcasts it around the globe and into space, killing most of the Martians and causing the few remaining survivors to flee Earth.

Brian

barry john macauley
27th June 2013, 20:18
From Wiki:

Meeting with the ambassador one more time to plead for peace, the ambassador goes to shake hands with President Dale but the ambassador's hand comes off and crawls on President Dale, and then impales him to death. Meanwhile, Richie Norris, a Kansas teenager, discovers that the Martians heads explode when they hear Slim Whitman's "Indian Love Call". He and his grandmother drive around town, using the song to destroy the Martians. The military hears about the recording and broadcasts it around the globe and into space, killing most of the Martians and causing the few remaining survivors to flee Earth.

Brian

Thank you Brian, Its nice to know someone else is concerned about the future of the world. Imagine if Richie had been a fan of Michael Jackson.....The world would have been full of Alex clones.
May the Force be with you. (and Alex).
barry mac

Pompeyfan
28th June 2013, 20:45
I bought Slim Whitman records years ago, taking them to sea playing them in my cabin on Canberra on my Sanyo Music Centre bought at the Silk Centre Yokohama in 1972. During latter years, I bought his CDs playing one today in my car driving to town, but I still play his LP's from time to time, some a bit scratched due to the needle slipping at sea when rough!.

Happy Days. RIP Slim.

hughesy
7th July 2013, 12:47
Another good one gone RIP Slim All the old pubs in Hull always had country artists on the juke boxes. Some favorites was Jim Reeves, Patsy Cline and charlie Pride, I was going out with this lass from Belfast who lived near Boulevard
she always wanted to go to a Pub called The Red Lion down Redboure street
(I think) it had all the old country singers on loads of drunken fishermen and
Hessleroaders sing country songs. I needed a few beevies to handle that.
My 60th birthday tommorow having a party at my friends house here in Vancouver, should be a groover we'll be jamming and my mandolin will be
going My mate is an execelent piper and great bluegrass guitar player so that and some Oregon beer and BC Bud should be a good one your all invited
BYOB see ya

all the best
Hughesy

cueball44
7th July 2013, 13:55
Another good one gone RIP Slim All the old pubs in Hull always had country artists on the juke boxes. Some favorites was Jim Reeves, Patsy Cline and charlie Pride, I was going out with this lass from Belfast who lived near Boulevard
My 60th birthday tommorow having a party at my friends house here in Vancouver, should be a groover we'll be jamming and my mandolin will be
going My mate is an execelent piper and great bluegrass guitar player so that and some Oregon beer and BC Bud should be a good one your all invited
BYOB see ya

all the best
HughesyThey were more than likely celebrating a H.F.C (Airlie Birds,Old Faithful) win, the ground was just down Boulevard off Airlie Street.

John Dryden
7th July 2013, 14:24
BYOB see ya

all the best
Hughesy

It was the Lion,Redbourne Street,Hughsey.One of my haunts years ago.Full of fishermen and I recall the landlord always wore a stetson.
A mate of mine always had this vision of walking into a pub in the USA and finding all the patrons dressed as Hessle Road fishermen!
This site has photos of long gone Hull pubs,to jog your memory.
Happy birthday.(Pint)

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/yorkshire/kingstonuponhull.html

hughesy
7th July 2013, 16:39
Thanks for the photos looks like all the houses have changed round there??
Old Faithfull was that song from a Roy Rogers movie??
Always brings back memories of home and threepenny stand

all the best
Hiughesy

tom roberts
7th July 2013, 21:08
Slim Whitman opened a record store on Church St Liverpool late 1950s,I bought my late sister one of his records and he signed it for me.He was a great country singer.