Escape From Wake Island

cshortridge73
27th June 2013, 20:35
The term "Wake Island" seems to have nasty memories to a lot of people that has the view that the US Navy let their men down during this event...and that may be so...but I'll let the reader decide that.
Another thing that some individuals may not realize is that the "Pam American Clipper" was involved in getting many people off the island before the Japanese invaded.
This article...which is a "Two Part" article is long...but it is extremely detailed on how all of the above took place and turned out....which I think you'll find that it will be an extremely interesting read.
Hope you enjoy

Click HERE (http://navalmerchantshiparticles.blogspot.com/2013/06/escape-from-wake-island.html) to link up with both parts

ben27
28th June 2013, 01:38
good morning cshortridge73.sm.today.04:35 Re:escape from wake island.i have just read your links.an amazing story,they were brave men indeed,the pilots set the standard for the future,to those who were lost.may they rest in peace.thank you for posting.regards ben27

kypros
28th June 2013, 12:37
BUD another great story of courage and sacrifice against the odds,tactical decisions are made in the heat battle which some may question with hindsight nothing is perfect war the decision not to risk that carrier could be argued to be correct in view of what happened at midway six months later but a brave garrison paid the ultimate sacrifice for expediency.KYPROS

Klaatu83
28th June 2013, 15:07
There were several inaccuracies in the article. IJN Yubari did not fire any 8-inch shells at Wake Island, she was armed only with 6-inch guns. Also, she could not have been damaged very badly, if at all, by the guns of Wake Island, because the following month she was in action off Rabaul. Apparently the destroyer Yayoi was not damaged badly either, if damaged at all, because she remained in action until Wake Island was captured. Only two Japanese warships were sunk at Wake Island, the destroyers Hayate and Kisaragi. The photo purporting to depict F2A fighters from USS Saratoga is actually a photo of similar aircraft belonging to Fighter Squadron 24 of the Finnish Air Force, where it was known as the Brewster Buffalo. It was probably just as well that Admiral Fletcher didn't send those F2A fighters to Wake because they were no match for the contemporary Japanese aircraft, as the British and Australians learned to their cost when they flew Buffalos in Malaya.

It was also implied that Admiral Fletcher acted out of cowardice in not sending the seaplane tender USS Tangier on "a high-speed run" to relieve Wake Island. Actually, that decision was probably just as well, because the Tangier was a converted merchant cargo ship, and her top speed was only 18 knots. She would have been a sitting duck, and nothing would have been accomplished except that another ship, and a lot more men, would have been lost.

It is an old accusation by the Marine Corps that the Navy behaved in a cowardly manner and let them down at Wake Island. However, at the time, Fletcher had little choice but to take the course of action he did. Most of the Navy was at the bottom of Pearl Harbor, and the few assets remaining were deemed too valuable to risk until an opportune moment arrived when conditions were favorable to achieve a victory. Fletcher did just that the following May, at the Battle of the Coral Sea, and again in June, at the Battle of Midway.

kypros
28th June 2013, 18:07
BUD thanks for the detailed explanation,I am no expert on the technical details of the equipment in use at that time,the ordinary marine at that time was probably not privy to the overall tactical situation so looked at things in straight black and white,I am sure the US navy if ordered to would have gone in anyway even if it was futile.KYPROS