New member with questions!

MerseyMaid
3rd July 2013, 09:43
Great to discover this site. I hope some members can answer my queries.
Yesterday (2nd July) I was out on the River Mersey on a Mersey ferry on a bird watching 'cruise'. At low tide I saw a wreck exposed quite near the mouth of the river. Does anyone know which ship it would be?
And, secondly, my grandfather (Henry Pratt CBE) was Chief Engineer (based in Liverpool) with the Canadian Pacific boats until the 1950s. Does anyone know how I might find out his record as a mariner? He was in the Merchant Navy all his career.
I'd appreciate any info that members may have.

jg grant
3rd July 2013, 10:17
Hello and welcome to this site from New Zealand. Lots of information to be gained on this site from the members.

Pompeyfan
3rd July 2013, 10:30
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard MerseyMaid.

Hopefully, someone will be able to help with the information you are seeking.

Duncan112
3rd July 2013, 10:52
Hello and welcome - this site may be of some use if you have the approximate position on a chart? http://www.thehistorybook.org/LiverpoolWrecks/ShipList.php?Letter=*

hawkey01
3rd July 2013, 12:03
MerseyMaid,

welcome to SN. I am sure the members will come up with the info you want.

Hawkey01

kypros
3rd July 2013, 15:24
Liikely to be ELDER demsters PEGU off the CROSBY channel.KYPROS

R58484956
3rd July 2013, 19:56
Greetings MM and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Gulpers
3rd July 2013, 20:41
MM,

Once again, on behalf of the SN Moderators, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey!
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

billyboy
4th July 2013, 01:22
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer.

Kanbe
24th July 2013, 12:12
The wreck that MerseyMaid refers to is probably that of the Pegu as Kypros has said but she did not belong to Elders but was owned by The British and Burmese S.N.C. managed by P. Henderson and Co. (Paddy Henderson)

IAN M
24th July 2013, 17:27
Merseymaid

The following is an extract from my book SHIPPING COMPANY LOSSES OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR.

TACOMA CITY. Sunk by a parachute mine which exploded beneath her when in the Formby Channel of the R. Mersey on 13 March, 1941. Four died. Forty-one picked up by a motorboat from the training ship HMS Conway and transferred to other larger boats for landing.

Could be her.

Regards

Ian

Kanbe
31st July 2013, 12:26
The Pegu was very visible i.e. the mast she having gone up to the north side of the channel and I often saw he when arriving of leaving the Mersey right up to the mid 70's. I know that was a long time ago and it may well have disappeared in the intervening time.
Kanbe