Need advice please!..

Hannah87
15th July 2013, 20:50
Hiya!.. Was wondering if anyone could assist me in my search!.. I would like to know if I could obtain a copy or view log books from a ship from 1965!.. This is of personal interest to my friends father who I believe was on that ship in that year!.. He has very fond memories and was wondering if this was possible and how!.. Thank you :)

Pompeyfan
15th July 2013, 21:20
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Hannah.

Hopefully, someone will be able to help with the information you are seeking, but would need to know the name of the ship.

Ron Stringer
15th July 2013, 22:02
I would like to know if I could obtain a copy or view log books from a ship from 1965!

If the ship was sailing under the British flag i.e. registered in a British port -

If he signed off the ship in 1965 when the ship's articles were closed -

If you are lucky -

then the ships log book will be held in the National Archive at Kew, London.

You can search the archive listings on line but you will need to know the ship's name and, preferably, its Official Number.

To view and copy (by photographing or photocopying) the logbook you will have to contact the NA and arrange a date on which to visit. There you will have to apply for a reader's card (involves showing proof of identity and undergoing a simple test to check that you are aware of the rules associated with handling archive material - done following an on-screen tutorial). Clear instructions are given and you will then be directed to a reading room and presented with a folder holding the ship's logbook (and possibly those of several other ships).

Once you have finished copying the documents you simply hand the folder back.

Alternatively, if you are unable to visit the Archive, you can pay a researcher to take copies and send them to you. The Archive can provide a list of approved researchers.

The government in its wisdom decided only to save logbooks (after 1950) from years ending in the figure '5', so you are fortunate that you are looking for records from 1965. However even then not all records were kept and there can be gaps. Logbooks for ships that opened articles for a voyage commencing in 1965 but which closed (completed) in 1966 or 1967, were not kept. The records only contain articles that closed in 1965.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C3140

Gulpers
15th July 2013, 22:09
Hannah,

On behalf of the SN Moderators, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey.
You will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and hopefully you will get more help with your query in the meantime have a look at this thread here (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=4825). (Thumb)

billyboy
15th July 2013, 23:21
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

backsplice
15th July 2013, 23:51
First of all assuming the ship is British

Name and official number .....this will be in the discharge book !!
dates from/to of service on the ship
email these details to the following

Maritime History Archive Memorial University

St. John's, NL

[email protected]

this is a strong possible way to get the documents if they have them it can work out a bit in cost but worth it if you get what you are looking for if you send these details they reply with charges etc its worked for me
good luck

PM me if you want any further info

gdynia
16th July 2013, 10:13
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

R58484956
17th July 2013, 11:03
Greetings Hannah and welcome to SN. Bon voyage

mr g elliott
24th July 2013, 17:43
what did you call the ship regards gordon