Looking for pictures of Table Bay

Adam Baker
22nd July 2013, 01:40
Hi,

I joined today in a search for images of the container vessel Table Bay. It was built in 1977 by AG Wesser, and was scrapped in 2006. Its IMO # is 7510901.

In its 30 year life, it sailed under the following names.

Table Bay (multiple times)
Tolaga Bay
Barcelona
City of Cape Town
P&O Nedlloyd Muscat
P&O Nedlloyd Ningbo

I've been hired to create a 3D model of the ship, and was provided w/ several images, and a mediocre set of drawings for the ship which appear to depict the ship early in its life. I found info today that something such as the exhaust funnel were changed at some point in its life.

Right now what I'm trying to find and have yet to locate are images of the exterior of the bridge, and pictures of the deck.

I've searched the galleries here and found several images that will help, but I'm still in need of images of what i mentioned above.

Ancient-Mariner
22nd August 2013, 21:41
I sailed once on Table Bay and many. many times on her sister ship City of Durban (see my profile).

Table Bay when I sailed on her 17 02 95 to 14 05 95 on a round trip Southampton to Far East and back, the radar mast had been severely cut down. This I believe to save having to lower the radar masts when passing beneath certain bridges. Certainly on City of Durban we had to lower the radar masts (they were telescopic) when she had the two X-band Marconi radars, a Radio Locator and a Predictor; but when refitted with Krupp Atlas S-Band and X-Band the S-Band was fitted so as to be below the main-mast knuckle and the X-Band - I think could be hinged over, The Main Mast carrying nav lights, em-aerial and anemometer was still hinged over. Similarly the D&K mast aerial was lowered. The only port where this was necessary was Melbourne and in retrospect one in the USA where whilst I was on leave apparently a gust of wind pushed the ship under a bridge which was about an inch higher that the S-Band radar scanner. The X-Band radar, mast etc was not so lucky. I got phoned at home and for a couple of hours was wondering whether I was going to get a Concord flight to the USA. I didn't...

The Table Bay being with P&OCL had been refitted with Kelvin Hughes Radar. I spent most of my voyage messing with deck reefers and the last couple of weeks with a radar display unit issue which transpired to be an incompatible replacement pcb which had been supplied at the previous port.

Regretfully I do not have any photographs of Table Bay.

Cheers!

Clive

Adam Baker
2nd September 2013, 22:28
Hello Clive

First & foremost, thank you very very much about mentioning that TB did have a sister ship. This is info I've been trying to track down and couldnt find anything at all as to whether there was another vessel similar to TB. That right there expands the options as far as photographs are concerned.

Chris Isaac
3rd September 2013, 07:48
You will find information about her and pictures here:
http://www.bandcstaffregister.co.uk/page2203.html

A.D.FROST
3rd September 2013, 09:20
Hello Clive

First & foremost, thank you very very much about mentioning that TB did have a sister ship. This is info I've been trying to track down and couldnt find anything at all as to whether there was another vessel similar to TB. That right there expands the options as far as photographs are concerned.

Sistership CITY OF DURBAN/PORTLAND BAY/ACT8/PRGASUS BAY

Duncan112
3rd September 2013, 15:33
There is a facebook group "Bay Boats" for ex OCL / P&OCL staff that has several photos of the Table Bay on.

Adam Baker
20th October 2013, 15:36
Thanks Duncan! I've submitted a request to join the group

oceancraft
31st December 2013, 17:34
Adam

As a trainee Naval Architect writing a thesis on container ship design I can remember the TABLE BAY in Southampton in 1981. I can confirm that she has one direct sister ship: CITY OF DURBAN, and eight half sister ships: NEDLLOYD HOORN, NEDLLOYD HOUTMAN, ORTELIUS, SA HELDERBERG, SA SEDERBERG, SA WATERBERG, SA WINTERBERG, and TRANSVAAL. The reason for this is that all of the ships share the same hull and were designed for the SAECS service (except NEDLLOYD HOUTMAN) under the auspices of Ernst Vosnack, the Chief Naval Architect of Nedlloyd. The TABLE BAY and CITY OF DURBAN vary in that they have sheer on the fore deck, a lower deck cutout aft, and different deck fittings and superstructure. If you can find any plans of the other ships then all of the longitudinal layout will be the same. The Motorship magazine from 1977 has an article and a General Arrangement Plan which shows the 'as built' arrangement. The funnel was cut down in 1979 when the ship became the BARCELONA for, I believe, a charter to ZIM. Thus, TABLE BAY only appeared in her original form for less than two years. As an exercise I have already created a virtual 3D model of TABLE BAY using Delftship to model the hull shape and Rhinoceros 3D for the detail work; so it is possible to do from the scant information available and a bit of knowledge of Naval Architecture. Should you require any further information or help please send me a PM. Best of luck with your project.

regards

Nigel Allan

wharferat
26th February 2014, 10:50
Adam
I have a few photos in my gallery of her as City of Cape Town arriving at Durban in 2005. My first trip on her was back in 1979 when she was Barcelona. The funnel was cut down to enable her to get under bridges to reach Newark, NJ, & Savannah. There was a stainless steel section bolted onto the main engine flue that was removed in Halifax, NS, & replaced in Kingston, Jamaica. Over the years I sailed on her under every name except Tolaga, the last occasion being in 2006.
Good luck in your search.