Joining Ship!

russellward
25th July 2013, 11:01
Hi from New Zealand! I am keen on smaller (preferably steam) ships particularly tugs, trawlers, navy ships etc etc.
I read "Grey Seas Under" at age seven and became infected.
So I was amazed when I saw a book "Wrinkles in Practical Navigation" on a local on line auction: It was presented by the Captain of HMS Frisky (and we all know who she was) as a testimonial of regard to his navigation officer Lt Price dated March 1919.
You would know that I just had to have it -nobody else seemed interested. How on earth it found me I do not know: I wasn't even browsing in the books section.
I am so proud to be the custodian of this lovely book. I just wonder how on earth it managed to make its way halfway round the world to New Zealand and how it managed to survive.
I checked on the crew from the 1919 Navy List and Captain Weir is noted but there is no mention of Lt Price (I assume it is his name -the writing is indistinct). Any clues on any possible leads? Yours Aye!

fred henderson
25th July 2013, 11:25
A warm welcome to SN. I hope that you will fully enjoy the benefits of your membership by joining in the discussions on any topic that you find to be of interest to you. As Fishing Vessels are one of these you may like to have access to the photos in the Fishing Vessels Gallery. This can be achieved by following the guidance in: -
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=39213

linerrich
25th July 2013, 12:13
Greetings and Welcome Aboard!

Rich

Klaatu83
25th July 2013, 12:47
Welcome aboard. If you liked "Grey Seas Under", you might want to read "The Serpent's Coil", written by the same author, the well-known Canadian writer Farley Mowat. It also recounts the experiences of of sea-going salvage tugs in the North Atlantic. I don't know if his books are readily available abroad, but if you ever get to Canada his books are everywhere.

R58484956
25th July 2013, 14:48
Greetings Russell and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Pompeyfan
25th July 2013, 18:35
Also on behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Russell.

Gulpers
25th July 2013, 19:12
Russell,

Also on behalf of the SN Moderators, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey!
I see you have been a member for some time and I hope you are thoroughly enjoying the SN experience.
Now that you've taken the plunge, keep posting. (Thumb)

billyboy
25th July 2013, 22:29
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

russellward
26th July 2013, 06:11
Welcome aboard. If you liked "Grey Seas Under", you might want to read "The Serpent's Coil", written by the same author, the well-known Canadian writer Farley Mowat. It also recounts the experiences of of sea-going salvage tugs in the North Atlantic. I don't know if his books are readily available abroad, but if you ever get to Canada his books are everywhere.

Yep. Thanks for that. I read that book (still have it) shortly after G S U:It was certainly an heroic tow. If I recall correctly, it was mostly about just the one salvage attempt on the "Flying Enterprise". I enjoyed the heroics of "Foundation Franklin" and her crew more.
I suppose there is a chance the book I have was left in the ship, but I should think it moved on and continued to be of use by Lt Price.