JJ Cale... Call me the Breeze

Alex Salmond
28th July 2013, 05:32
Another one of the greats has gone to the great gig in the sky .Tulsa great JJ Cale has died of a heart attack at the age of 74 .Probably never got the recognition he deserved except from fellow musos who recorded heaps of his songs especially old slowhand himself Eric Clapton who recorded a few of JJs songs ,after midnight,call me the breeze.. still got a couple of his albums on vinyl ,Okie & Naturally, I ll play them tonight and remember one of the greats RIP JJ Cale (Sad)

TonyAllen
28th July 2013, 09:51
I have a couple of his albums,alex,including OKIE another stalward guitar player gone !!! rip JJ

alan ward
28th July 2013, 11:00
On the strength of Same Old Blues slide solo I bought the featured guitarist Mac Gaydens album Skyboat,what a load of old b****ks! JJCale?I`ll be playing his music at my birthday party later this afternoon.

Geoff Gower
28th July 2013, 11:51
A great musician

Chris Isaac
28th July 2013, 12:41
Great musician and a great inspiration to the likes of Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler, Tom Petty, Carlos Santana and Chris Rea..... plus many others.

ben27
29th July 2013, 00:42
good day alex salmond,sm,yesterday.14:32.re:jj cale call me the breeze.a great musician.may he rest in peace.regards ben27

John Dryden
29th July 2013, 00:58
Easy away JJ..one two.one two three on the guitar.

barrinoz
29th July 2013, 01:34
One by one, the lights are going out. Vale, Mr. Cale.
barrinoz.

kevjacko
29th July 2013, 09:01
A Sad day for the Guitar world. RIP JJ

Alex Salmond
29th July 2013, 09:35
Obituary in todays NZ Herald on the man himself and a few cracking quotes he loved Eric Clapton " If it wasn't for Eric I d probably be selling shoes in Tulsa today" and when an interviewer asked him if he didn't get upset with people having hits with his songs ?" his reply was " Nope as long as them cheques keep rolling in " my all time favourite JJ song is Cajun Moon of the album Okie that I first heard on The Old Grey Whistle Test way back when Whispering Bob Harris played it ..I could tell Bob loved it cos his voice rose two decibels(Wave)

alan ward
29th July 2013, 14:42
Cajun Moon,covered by all hands and the cook great track,just rolls along.

andysk
30th July 2013, 23:27
The memories are still strong of a fabulous couple of hours of pure magic from JJ on the stage of the Gardner Centre at Sussex University about 15 years ago, never really noticed the 90 minute wait for a train afterwards - in the rain !
RiP JJC

(Actually it was Leo Kottke, the memory is playing too many tricks ! But it was still a magic night !

John Dryden
30th July 2013, 23:44
You,re lucky to have seen JJ play live Andy must have been some night.He had that rare ability to transfer his music to records as though playing live.

hughesy
31st July 2013, 00:36
Troupador good album. old JJ in Okie heaven I guess him and Woody will swapping a few licks
"Cocaine" great riff in that tune, RIP JJ gone but not forgotten

all the best
Hughesy

Alex Salmond
31st July 2013, 08:46
downloaded some tunes I bought on iTunes and put them on my wee travelling ipod classic for the car ,its an anthology of most of his great songs called JJ Cale Gold a lot of the tunes id not played in years ,I was listening to an early track called the River Runs Deep and thought now we know where Mark Knopfler got his chops from and another stray thought popped into my head if you googled the word " laidback" a photo of JJ sitting on his rocking chair on his porch ,guitar in hand ,hounddog at his feet would appear(Thumb)

andysk
31st July 2013, 09:51
You,re lucky to have seen JJ play live Andy must have been some night.He had that rare ability to transfer his music to records as though playing live.

Ooops ! It was actually an equally good guitarist, Leo Kottke, not JJC, long distance memory is more hazy than I thought, and playing too many tricks !

Leratty
3rd September 2013, 19:21
I have a terrific CD of JJC& EC buggered if I can recall the name. Anyway the cover is of JJ sitting in the back of an old ute with his guitar. Andysk Leo Kottke now there is a great guitarist. JJC a couple of times on TV would love to have seen him play with JJC.

Alex Salmond
4th September 2013, 01:19
I have a terrific CD of JJC& EC buggered if I can recall the name. Anyway the cover is of JJ sitting in the back of an old ute with his guitar. Andysk Leo Kottke now there is a great guitarist. JJC a couple of times on TV would love to have seen him play with JJC.

Hey Buddy would that cd be called the Road to Escondido by any chance ??

I know my mate liked JJ so I d like to dedicate one of his great tracks to our shipmate Barrinoz couldn't get a better track im thinking

Call me the Breeze ,cos im just blowing down the road

Leratty
4th September 2013, 07:36
Alex, yes it is as I say a terrific CD, the cover is a treat unfortunately all our music is in storage in Hong Kong so I can not play it. Agree it would be a great idea-thing to do for the Barrinoz. Gotta say I am in shock which must sound trite but it is true had no idea he may have been sick he was one year older than me very sad nice to see so many others are sad too. Richard

alan ward
4th September 2013, 11:10
Completelt out of the blue the band that played here on saturday night did a section of JJCales music if only they`d done Same old Blues.

4th September 2013, 11:15
"Ever lovin' woman" was my favourite track. A great artist. RIP.