Togo

stphilbert
4th August 2013, 08:45
Hello everyone.
I am trying to find out about a steam drifter out of Lowestoft called TOGO - my grandfather was chief engineer on board. Can't seem to find anything on google etc.

Gulpers
4th August 2013, 09:53
stphilbert,

On behalf of the SN Moderators, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey.
You will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and hopefully someone will be able to help with your query in the meantime have a good look around. (Thumb)

Pompeyfan
4th August 2013, 10:21
Also on behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Stphilbert.

Gulpers
4th August 2013, 11:33
stphilbert,

It may be worth looking at this (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=6319) thread. There are plenty of links to reference sites for Lowestoft vessels. You could also repeat your request for assistance on the thread. (Thumb)

Robert Durrant
4th August 2013, 14:30
Stphilbert,
With regards to Togo LT69.
She was built as a steam drifter/ trawler in 1905 by Fellows & Co.,Great Yarmouth.She was of 75 gross and 28 nett tonnage.80 foot long and steel built.She was launched as Togo YH477 for the builders account before being sold to Admiral Fishing Co.Ltd.,of Lowestoft and reregistered as LT609.In 1920 she was sold to Ronnie Balls of Gt.Yarmouth becoming YH248 and remained so until 1935 when her owners became Ling & Bird and registered as LT69.She was converted to diesel power by LBS Engineering,Lowestoft the same year before being transferred to the Jubilee Fishing Co.Ltd.In 1958 she was bought by Colne Fishing Co.Ltd.,also of Lowestoft.She remained with them until 1964 when she was sold for scrap.
On her delivery voyage to the scrap yard she towed the Tobago LT182 which had earlier that year ran aground at the entrance to Lowestoft harbour when returning from a 12 day North Sea fishing trip.
Incidently,although she had a few changes of ownership and registrations throughout her 59 year career,she never changed her name
Bob.

Gulpers
4th August 2013, 16:41
Excellent work Bob, well done. (Applause)

Robert Durrant
4th August 2013, 19:54
Thanks Ray,it's a pleasure and no doubt more information about her will come to light.....but that's what Ships Nostalgia is all about.
Bob.

billyboy
5th August 2013, 00:45
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

R58484956
5th August 2013, 09:26
Greetings stphilbert and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

stphilbert
5th August 2013, 10:20
Bob
many thanks for the excellent info - much appreciated. Now to find some photos!

Robert Durrant
5th August 2013, 13:37
Stphilbert,
My pleasure Nick.
I do remember her fishing from Lowestoft in her latter years.Colne Fishing Co.,gave her a complete refit in 1964 but she was laid up for sometime after this and never did a commercial fishing trip.Probably because she was a small,underpowered vessel compared with the rest of the Lowestoft fleet and likewise could not get a crew to sail in her.
Good luck with your search,
Bob.