varanberg

carolpenn
12th August 2013, 22:30
hello looking for any one who knows about the varanberg it was in workington in 1965 .looking to find out how i can get in touch with .a friend.

Gulpers
12th August 2013, 22:39
Carol,

On behalf of the SN Moderators, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey.
You will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and hopefully someone will be able to help with your query in the meantime have a good look around. (Thumb)

billyboy
13th August 2013, 00:41
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

R58484956
13th August 2013, 10:05
Greetings Carol and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Pompeyfan
13th August 2013, 10:25
Also on behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Carol.

Erimus
13th August 2013, 11:24
The Varenberg,like her sister V ships, was used under contracts of affreighment from Kirkenes to Workington and other European steelworks...at about 7000 tonnes dwt they were handy ships and from my own recollections of stemming a few hundred trips believed that virtually all the crew were from the Kirkenes area themselves....

geoff

carolpenn
13th August 2013, 15:06
so how would i be able to get information about crew then looking for my father who my mum said was norweigan and came to workington on the varaberg thats all i know .ant ideas thanx

Erimus
13th August 2013, 16:15
I will have a think....it was the whole of the 60's and 70's I was involved with them via a London Ore Merchant, who is no longer there......

There were also some British crew on these ships,from time to time, and I did meet a couple from the Lofoten Islands which is certainly Norwegian.....

The ship was registered in Kirkenes and was sold about 1972..for a picture and correct spelling I have borrowed a link from our friends in Shipspotting..

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1368965

Perhaps if someone on this site has a Lloyds Register circa late 60's the precise owners can be identified

Best of luck

geoff

stein
13th August 2013, 17:09
Owners were: A/S Malmfart (Sameiet Varangskip I), Kirkenes.

I don’t know how to find Norwegian ship crews, but I do suppose it’s all documented somewhere in this country. The best I can do is to suggest you ask the people at the Norwegian Maritime Museum where you would be likely to find this information. They would have no bother with reading or writing English, but might be on holiday out August. Their E-mail address: [email protected]

carolpenn
13th August 2013, 17:58
thank you for replying to me.

Erimus
13th August 2013, 18:40
Thanks Stein........I had just remembered Malmfart as the V ship owners but you did more for the poster than I ever could....apart from getting the name right!

geoff