Prefixes for names of Grimsby steam trawlers

Janice Anne
13th August 2013, 22:46
Hello everyone! Can anyone tell me please why trawlers' names might use HMT or GY, or something else? I am trying to find info about the Scottish and the British during WW2...

billyboy
14th August 2013, 03:34
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

Gulpers
14th August 2013, 07:00
Janice,

On behalf of the SN Moderators, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey.
You will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and hopefully someone will be able to help with your query in the meantime have a good look around. (Thumb)

Pompeyfan
14th August 2013, 07:32
Also on behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Janice.

Alan Dunk
14th August 2013, 11:59
Hello everyone! Can anyone tell me please why trawlers' names might use HMT or GY, or something else? I am trying to find info about the Scottish and the British during WW2...

Hi
HMT was used during the war for trawlers that were called into Service it stood for His Majesties Trawler. The trawlers were used as minesweepers and patrol vessels.

GY (Grimsby) is the port were the trawler is registered e.g. GY1 was the registration number of the Northern Jewel.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Alan J Dunk

gkh151
14th August 2013, 13:11
Hi Janice,

Another point to remember is that if the trawler survived the war (many where lost) they would be returned to the owner and the prefix GY would come back into effect.

Regards,

Graham.

PS if I can be of any further help PM me.

R58484956
15th August 2013, 09:44
Greetings Janice and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.