Thanks to all for the kind welcome

61_Shasta
15th August 2013, 03:34
New guy here. Total landlubber here unless you count the occasional sail on the Great Salt Lake or Bear Lake in Utah. Never have been on any kind of naval or maritime service but for some odd reason I've always had an interest in shipwrecks, specifically what went wrong and putting hypotheses on what an alternative could have been.

I don't recall the class I had in college but I wrote a paper on theories of what would have happened had Captain Smith taken the Titanic directly into the iceberg rather than trying to avoid it.

I found the site when I was on www.theparbucklingproject.com and noticed that the location of sponsons 1 & 2 now were showing a "blister" and had no idea what a "blister" was. I've been very fascinated on the wreck of the Costa Concordia and the "what ifs" of the night. For example, had Captain Schettino set a course directly for Giglio port after the breach, dropped anchor and evacuated the ship, what would have followed? Would lives have been spared but would the ship have sunk in a non-salvagable position causing a potential ecologic disaster?

There has been some very interesting, some very spirited and some very odd conversations and thoughts in the Costa Concordia thread. Thanks again for allowing me to be a part of it and your warm welcome.

Gulpers
15th August 2013, 06:09
61_Shasta,

On behalf of the SN Moderating Team, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey!
You seem to be settling in nicely so, enjoy your time on SN and have many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

Pompeyfan
15th August 2013, 07:36
Also on behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard 61_Shasta.

billyboy
15th August 2013, 22:43
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer