George Ramage

Varley
16th August 2013, 19:15
It would be good to hear this is a mistake but I have heard that George Ramage (ex RN then operations assistant) has died.

Graham Hutton
28th August 2013, 15:18
It would be good to hear this is a mistake but I have heard that George Ramage (ex RN then operations assistant) has died.

Dave

Unfortunately it is not a mistake. Spoke to Campbell Barrie at AE and he confirmed. The funeral was Last Wednesday (21st August)

Graham Hutton
La Spezia

Varley
28th August 2013, 23:46
Graham,

Good to hear from you if not of your news.

Still with the RV? We have a surveyor here ex Antarctic Survey who had been with Nick. Still think him (and us!) too old for such indulgences!

David V

Graham Hutton
29th August 2013, 10:49
Dave,

Yes still strongly connected with ALLIANCE although since 2005 with NATO as Senior Engineer/Ship Manager in the Ship Management Office (poacher turned gamekeeper ? ). After 5 years as DBM/AEBM had the oportunity to move over to NATO ( no contest obviously). The then Ch.Eng on ALLIANCE, Gordon Tennant, took over from me. He is now Senior Surveyor with Breamar (ex Salvage) in Singapore mixing with a few other ex-Denholm notables ( Mike Pride for one) The present encumbant AEBM is Brian Docherty. We were Denholm cadets together from the 1966 cadet intake. Brian is an ex Salvage surveyor and was involved in a few claims on ALLIANCE in the 90's - main propulsion generator which you may remember !.

ALLIANCE is still going strong just passed her 5th special with flying colours. Says a lot for the intial contract set-up by Harry Gilbert and Loc Parker.
Do you have any news on Harry Gilbert ? I know from John Hendry (him of the Ponderosa property near Falkirk) that he had been struck down with cancer.

The last I heard from Nick, he was going to, or has retired this year. Steve Flannigan (ex ETO with Nick on ALLIANCE) is working part time at the moment. Unfortunately his wife died earlier this year. The other two ETO's still on board are Jim Stone and Gareth Jones.

I am planning to retire next year ( at least that what I have told the better half !)

Graham

Varley
30th August 2013, 00:36
Graham, many thanks for the update.

I remember the propulsion generators well (the initial insulation failure only to earth). There have been a number of inverter/cycloconverter installations associated with premature wound equipment failures. When last I heard harmonics were suspected but not proven and I come back to my proposal on Alliance (converter, similar mutilating capacity! remember the hot interpoles?) that it was not an electrical effect on the dielectric but some mechanical resonance. I post accordingly at the drop of a hat in any forum that allows me in. It falls on stony ground. If I remember correctly Brian thought it was a good angle.

If that is faithfully fitter Hendry and not Hendry the steam then I would appreciate an EMAIL add. if you have one. I had not heard about Harry and haven't seen him since I sold him Mother's 1914 Rover motorbike. Baillie might know and it's about time for an exchange of insults so I'll ask.

I knew MMP was in Singapore although not why or with whom. I dropped him a note via SN to tell him about George and would have repeated the news about Stephen Card today but as he didn't answer I suppose he might have bored of SN.

I've seen Steve a couple of times and he invited me to see over the Irish Lights vessel. His kids must still be too young to be without Mother I would think as he was still referring to them as rugrats when he called at Douglas in 2007 - a great shame.

I bumped into and otherwise consulted Giampiero Soncini a few time in his guise as MD of Spectec.

Remember me to the team if you are minded to.

Never intended to retire thought the bottle would get my liver before my brain - it is beginning to grow on me although I do still hanker for providing radio support for interesting problems.

David V

Graham Hutton
1st September 2013, 13:24
Dave

'Faithful Fitter' is indeed the JH in conversation. He is presently involved with the Steamboat Association of Great Britian having aquired a small wooden hulled steamboat called Suliven, which, after restoration, he has sailed on the Forth & Clyde canal and , I believe, on Loch Katrine.Still doing consultancy work and I doubt if he will ever retire completely. Have sent you his e-mail address separately.

MMP went out to Singapore last year in a deal with AE and Teekay having resigned from AE. At present is a director of Teekay Marine (Glasgow), so not sure if he has returned to Scotland full time.

G.Soncini has not been in correspondence with me since the ALLIANCE changed from AMOS to Marine Planned Maintenance. MPM is the system we have on the small coastal research vessel LEONARDO. I had very little input for the change. All down to Spectec costs and poor service.

Graham

Varley
1st September 2013, 17:25
Graham, Thanks, got it and replied by EMAIL. FF has made contact - was in a shipyard somewhere and will type at more length tomorrow but says Harry had a bad time last year but now prognosis is good.

It sounds as if Spectec thought that they had you their pocket. At ex Dorchester BS, ABS was the order of the day and, because the necessary efforts were made, became an important every day general management tool. Can't say what A-E uses now - Shipright (the lameduckware for which I was, at least partially, responsible) became unsupportable when they went bust for the second time (I am staring at the SASCO planner I used to mark off the data diskette traffic).

It all still depends on the users' enthusiasm but BS did confirm one of my preconceptions - in order for the C/E to co-operate with entering the data which the office wants - little value to him - he needs the system to provide something which he does find useful. I thought this would be inventory and, while this is indeed partly correct, procurement is the real carrot.

Other offices did not use ABS and there was the unhealthy spectre of affiliate development haunting the issue so no idea if it will survive the removal of BS technical management from the Island.

David V

randcmackenzie
1st September 2013, 22:38
Is the JH being discussed ex Nordic Clansman, Commander, Conqueror, and pretty much anything steam?

Target of the song 'There's a hole in my boiler, Dear Airey, Dear Airey, etc etc.

Varley
2nd September 2013, 00:43
Is the JH being discussed ex Nordic Clansman, Commander, Conqueror, and pretty much anything steam?

Target of the song 'There's a hole in my boiler, Dear Airey, Dear Airey, etc etc.

Roddy,

No. That's Hendry 'the steam', dry stone waller, worthy occupier of an assistant Supers desk and NITC expert standby-er. Faithfull Fitter Hendry skirted only the 'offshore' environs of the empire.

The Stonehaveners, (that is GYXD not the town) had two other nicknames for the particular Tony you mention. One after Billy Connolly's post aircraft fishfood sketch later modified by his subsequent Concorde flight.

I won't repeat the detail as he never did me any harm at all (although he did unkindly accuse me of using an accent with which I was not brought up).

The JH in this question would have been as equally interested in your broken fridge as would I but both gentlemen are delightful company anyway.

David V

randcmackenzie
2nd September 2013, 23:22
A boiler David, and a big one, on the Clansman.

The fridges played a vital role there too, of course.

R.